Leak In The Transfer Case

I have q 2002 Escalade 4wd . It has about 120,000 Miles on it .On a recent vacation trip the rear window was covered in oil and a call to the local mechanic told me the transfer case seal was bad . He put a Napa seal on it . It wasnt far down the road I realized it was NOT fixed at all . When I got home I went to another mechanic and told him what I just had done . He said , the transfer case seal was probably not put on right, loose bolts or crooked . he laso did not like Napa seals He put a Timken seal on it . When he was doing it he said their was a small brass bushing under their that had just a "little" wear on on it and it should not be enough to cause any problems . Well somthing is wrong !!!! The truck still leaks exaclty the same . So, what should I try next , what could it be most likely and how expensive is it since I have little $ at the moment ? Thanks a lot for any suggestions .

Try these posts;

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?...amp;hl=pump+rub'>http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?...amp;hl=pump+rub'>http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?...amp;hl=pump+rub'>http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?...amp;hl=pump+rub

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?...amp;hl=pump+rub

Not too sure what transfer case you have, but I have an 03 silverado pickup and my transfer case started to leak too. Apparently on a certain model transfer case, there is an oil pump up inside there and a small clip sometimes works its way loose and over time will wear an actual very small pinhole in the side of the case. It usually happens on the tailshaft of the transfer case, way up on the side almost to the top on the passenger side. The dealer wanted $900 to fix mine, said he would have to replace the whole back half of the case. I took it home, located the hole with a magnifying glass, cleaned it up REAL good and took clear RTV silicone and sealed it up. The dealer told me it would never work, its been 50,000 miles and I have yet to see it leak again. Hope that helps.

Not too sure what transfer case you have, but I have an 03 silverado pickup and my transfer case started to leak too. Apparently on a certain model transfer case, there is an oil pump up inside there and a small clip sometimes works its way loose and over time will wear an actual very small pinhole in the side of the case. It usually happens on the tailshaft of the transfer case, way up on the side almost to the top on the passenger side. The dealer wanted $900 to fix mine, said he would have to replace the whole back half of the case. I took it home, located the hole with a magnifying glass, cleaned it up REAL good and took clear RTV silicone and sealed it up. The dealer told me it would never work, its been 50,000 miles and I have yet to see it leak again. Hope that helps.

Great m this is good to know . Now I have read if this is the case it does not drip on the ground , mine does. Did yours drip visably on the ground when the truck was parked ?

Great m this is good to know . Now I have read if this is the case it does not drip on the ground , mine does. Did yours drip visably on the ground when the truck was parked ?

The case usually won't drip noticeably. The leak is very small and is usually detected when they notice fluid all over the case, or when the case completely fails due to a lack of fluid. There's no way the pump rub hole would spray fluid. Let alone spray it enough to get it on a window. The pump rub hole is TINY.

The case usually won't drip noticeably. The leak is very small and is usually detected when they notice fluid all over the case, or when the case completely fails due to a lack of fluid. There's no way the pump rub hole would spray fluid. Let alone spray it enough to get it on a window. The pump rub hole is TINY.

. Drip is noticable if the truck is parked for any length of time . So since the seal has been replaced twice and it still leaks and this does not fit the pattern of the hole then what might be another answer ? The last mechanic mentioned a small brass bushing he said had some slight wear on it when he was replacing the seal , could this be it ?

The case wear from the failed oilpump clip (wear guard) is common. When I pulled my xfer case I replaced the pump and put in a case saver aftermarket kit, along with a new pump. I did get a massive oil leak a month later. It was the front seal which had been put in slightly crooked and allowed it to leak when parked pointed frontend downhill in my driveway. What a mess.

Should I take some preventive action to prevent transfer case damage on my 2006 truck? What would be required?

Not much you can do short of taking the t/c apart to install an anti rattle plate. Just keep an eye on it as the leak develops slowly.

I don't know if the pump rub was an issue in the NV149 (escalade 1 speed) but since it has an oil pump in the same spot it seems possible. The NAPA seal shouldn't be a problem but I'd check the slip yoke for grooving. If its badly grooved or pitted it should be replaced. Around $100 part I think.

Archived