Photo

Gm Parts Direct Rip Off?

29 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce Smith123

Bruce Smith123

Enthusiast

• 24 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:17 AM

I priced a Nav unit for my Silverado at GM Parts Direct. The price seemed reasonable until I placed it in my "shopping Cart" $347.00 shipping and handling. Actual cost would be under $30.00. This is the same game that many Ebay sellers use. I understand that GM Parts direct is a GM dealer. I would expect a little more honesty from them. They will never see a dime from me!! Beware!!!!

Bruce

#2 Metro12

Metro12

Enthusiast

• 430 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:42 AM

That sounds like an error. I can't see anyone charging $300.00 for shipping a radio.
Slapping silly, those who haven't figured out where the SEARCH button is!

#3 DwelveAT

DwelveAT

Enthusiast

• 369 posts
  • Drives:2009 GMC Sierra SLT CC AT

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:54 AM

Are you sure they arent possibly charging your max shipping insurance rate? It is a pricey piece of equipment, but I could be wrong.

2009 GMC SIERRA CC
ALL TERRAIN Z

2014 VW Jetta  "Edition 30" -- wife's car

On order: 2015 Audi S3 Sedan

#4 darkfox1

darkfox1

Enthusiast

• 363 posts
  • Drives:2014 Silverado LT Crew

Posted 22 June 2010 - 07:34 AM

Point out the cost to them. They've noted before that there are errors on their shipping from time to time.

Either that.. or you ordered a truck with a nav unit in it. :lol:

#5 hammerhead611

hammerhead611

Enthusiast

• 331 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:39 AM

See his reply to another questionable shipping cost post in this post right here.

I know I have stated this before, I apologize for having to re-post. Please keep in mind, we (GmPartsDirect.com) sells parts near published dealer cost plus a percentage for a shipping and handling fee. This fee is not actual shipping charges only.

If the shipping and handling seems extremely high, like the 2 earlier post 20774682 and 15287364, please email our customer service team with the part number and we will look into the part number and correct the shipping and handling accordingly.

We also price match, if one of our competitor's has a lower delivered price, please email us a screen shot and link of their delivered price and we will try to meet/beat their delivered price. We do not like being undersold.

Thank you,

Scott T.
GmPartsDirect.com Manager

Posted Image
www.GmPartsDirect.com

2010 GMC Sierra SLE Crew Cab
2005 Chevy Tahoe

#6 txab

txab

Your worst fWONking nightmare

• 9,026 posts
  • Drives:2014 GMC Sierra

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:13 AM

Contact them about the shipping and handling charge. Don't always trust the shipping calculator. If they still want $300 for it and you can find the part cheaper elsewhere, then buy it elsewhere. If you don't like the prices from a merchant don't do business with them

100_0955-1-1-1.jpg
"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."
-- Benjamin Franklin

bbp.pngsynad.pngAdamslogo3_zpsc74f7e65.png

#7 ddot

ddot

Enthusiast

• 39 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:44 AM

I priced a Nav unit for my Silverado at GM Parts Direct. The price seemed reasonable until I placed it in my "shopping Cart" $347.00 shipping and handling. Actual cost would be under $30.00. This is the same game that many Ebay sellers use. I understand that GM Parts direct is a GM dealer. I would expect a little more honesty from them. They will never see a dime from me!! Beware!!!!

Bruce

I just went to order a $15 door handle that is only a couple of ounces and they wanted $15 for shipping so I ordered from elsewhere.
If they know there shipping is not working right maybe they should think about fixing it someday and not having everyone call them to check. this should not be that hard to get working right to start with.

#8 pm26

pm26

Senior Enthusiast

• 6,411 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:48 PM

If you buy something small and inexpensive, like a $ 15 item, you are almost always better off just going to your local dealer and pying full retail plus local tax for it. Chances are the total will be less than the discounted price plus shipping and handling.

That goes for just about every vendor. They charge you $ 6 shipping handling for a 25 cent washer nowadays.

Edited by pm26, 22 June 2010 - 12:49 PM.

#9 09silveradolt

09silveradolt

Enthusiast

• 5 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:40 PM

I am fairly new to this forum and site, and most are usually set up just for these businesses guys..American free enterprise and all.. But 300 plus bucks to "ship" a nav unit is hilarious.
GMPartsdirect should just add the 300 bucks and use straightforward shipping..It's a shady way to do business no matter what the company has tosay...Negotiating a marked up price on wholesale goods to make it look like wholesale is cute..Kinda like dealing with the sales guy in the showroom.

#10 pm26

pm26

Senior Enthusiast

• 6,411 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:04 PM

I am fairly new to this forum and site, and most are usually set up just for these businesses guys..American free enterprise and all.. But 300 plus bucks to "ship" a nav unit is hilarious.
GMPartsdirect should just add the 300 bucks and use straightforward shipping..It's a shady way to do business no matter what the company has tosay...Negotiating a marked up price on wholesale goods to make it look like wholesale is cute..Kinda like dealing with the sales guy in the showroom.

There is one even funnier on their site. I checked the price on one of their crate motors, I think this was a 7 liter V8 and the shipping/handling charge was over $ 3,500!!!!!!!!!! You can ship a 40 ft motorhome cross country for less.

I agree, they should just add a fair profit to their merchandise, and charge actual shipping/handling charges.

Yes, you can see similar stuff on eBay. For example, there is a motorcycle dealership in Cherry Hill, NJ that always advertises their new bikes cheaper than most other dealers - until you read the fine print of course. Then, $ 600 to $ 700 in freright and other charges appear and they are automatiocally added to the winning bid. When you add these charges to the price, you will have paid more than a straightforward price with no extra charges from others.

Edited by pm26, 22 June 2010 - 02:10 PM.

#11 Wires

Wires

Enthusiast

• 700 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:16 PM

Keep in mind that their website probably just calculates the shipping from a 3rd party (ie ours uses UPS). When the customer clicks on something, the size and weight we enter goes to UPS, and the website then reflects their rate from us to the customer.

A $15 door handle will fall under the minimum size/weight, so $15 is most likely what the courier is charging.

Same goes with the crate motor. Obviously, if you call them, they'd pick a better shipping alternative for a motor. It wouldn't be UPS.

As for the nav, you should call them. Most likely the person entering the part on the site missed a decimal for the size/weight, so the costs are out of wack. Maybe they'd shave a couple bucks off (or free shipping) in pointing out their error....

#12 ddot

ddot

Enthusiast

• 39 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:05 PM

Keep in mind that their website probably just calculates the shipping from a 3rd party (ie ours uses UPS). When the customer clicks on something, the size and weight we enter goes to UPS, and the website then reflects their rate from us to the customer.

A $15 door handle will fall under the minimum size/weight, so $15 is most likely what the courier is charging.

Same goes with the crate motor. Obviously, if you call them, they'd pick a better shipping alternative for a motor. It wouldn't be UPS.

As for the nav, you should call them. Most likely the person entering the part on the site missed a decimal for the size/weight, so the costs are out of wack. Maybe they'd shave a couple bucks off (or free shipping) in pointing out their error....

It sound like your defending them(maybe ,maybe not) but why don't you go and look up a part most any part and get the total cost and then look somewhere else on the net and more than likely the price with shipping will be way more.
I do believe they use a third party to figure shipping and that the price is not bad until they add on there handling fee's.
To advertise lowest $ OEM parts and then tack on there unimaginably high handling fee's is exactly what the frauds on ebay do and gmpartsdirect is apparently no better.
This has happened to me 4 difference times on 4 different parts, I find it hard to believe this is just a coincidence.
I agree I wish they would just raise there price to whatever they need to get and charge actual shipping instead of trying to fool there customers.

Edited by ddot, 22 June 2010 - 05:07 PM.

#13 MS3DALE

MS3DALE

Don't call me,and I won't call you!

• Senior Moderator
  • 14,934 posts
  • Name:Rich
  • Drives:'07 Silverado Z71 '11 Camaro SS '02 Saturn SC2

Posted 22 June 2010 - 07:53 PM

When I checked how much it would be to ship an instrument cluster to me here (near Pittsburgh) they wanted $441.00 :lol:

sig1alternate.png
'07 SILVERADO Z71 LT2 "VortecMAX" 6-Liter,"Super-Duty" Auto Trans,9 1/2" rear-end w/3.73 G80 Locker,XM,On-Star,BOSE speaker system,Stabilitrak,Block Heater,Sunroof,18" ARE "Cannon" Wheels w/LT275/65R18 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires.
Custom tune by Justin at Black Bear,CORSA "Sport" exhaust system,EXTANG "Full-Tilt" snapless tonneau cover,Rough Country 1.5" front leveling kit,Fabtech 1" rear lift blocks,EZ-Down tailgate damper.
GM accessories...Hood Deflector,Molded Mud-Flaps,Ventvisors,Catch-All Floor-Mats,Bedrail Protectors,BedRug Bedliner & Bedmat,and a GM Performance Parts cold-air intake.

2011 CAMARO 2SS/RS - LS3/M6 - Inferno Orange Met. - HURST short-throw - Roto-Fab CAI - Kook's LTs - CORSA exhaust - Black Bear tuned (playtoy!)
2012 CRUZE 1LT - Blue Topaz Met. - RS pkg.- Convenience pkg. (work car!)

My Garage

#14 pm26

pm26

Senior Enthusiast

• 6,411 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:10 PM

When I checked how much it would be to ship an instrument cluster to me here (near Pittsburgh) they wanted $441.00 :lol:

Must have been an instrument cluster for the Space Shuttle Endeavor :lol:

#15 pm26

pm26

Senior Enthusiast

• 6,411 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:16 PM

Some individuals are not concerned about shipping charges. I read somewhere that certain Saudi sheik paid $ 400,000 to have his luxury multimillion dollar motor home shipped by air from the US (using a large cargo plane) vs paying about $ 15,000 to have it shipped by sea and wait a couple of weeks. Must be nice to have money to burn. Especially when it comes for free from other people's labor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users