91 K1500 Turns Over But Won't Start

I installed a tachometer today, tried it before i wired it, everything worked. I finished installing and running all of the wiring, including the one wire i stuck in the ignition system just outside the distributor cap, fired it up, it ran for about 15 seconds then died.

Now it won't start, it turns over, i smell gas fumes, but nothing. I unhooked everything and it's still not starting. Is there a fuse for the ignition system? Maybe i overloaded it? Could i have burned it out?

obv. there's 3 things every engine needs.. fuel air and spark.. if it doesn't fire you're not getting one of those in the right proportion.

take your air cover off, then pull back the trim ring around the TB and look at the injectors while someone else turns it over.. you wil see gas spraying into the TB if they're both working.

if not...

under your dash you have a fuse labeled "inj a+b" that should be your injectors. Take a look at it and make sure it's not blown.Should be a 10a fuse.

now that that's out of the way.. you're getting fuel and air.. unless your IAC or TPS is bad or something but I'd think neither of those would keep you from running at all.. that leaves spark..

considering you just did a tach.. which messes with the distributor wiring leading to the coil and cap area.. that's where I'd start my search. Make sure you didn't cut a wire or ground anything out.

i apreciate the info, i was thinking the same thing. I unhooked the wire i had put in with the distributor. for testing purposes, all i did was make the wire make contact with the white wire, which i believe is the negative, nothing permanant. The other wires i tapped into were in the headlight switches, so that shouldn't effect anything. If i had grounded something out, it should have been ok once i unhooked the wire i would think.

Are there fuses for the ignition at all?

I believe there is an "ign" fuse under the dash panel, but I would think if you pulled that it wouldn't even turn over? I haven't gotten that far with my truck.

I have an 88 gmc I'm swapping a 91 silverado wire harness into, so I'm about to get real familiar with all this. :D

I believe there is an "ign" fuse under the dash panel, but I would think if you pulled that it wouldn't even turn over? I haven't gotten that far with my truck.

I have an 88 gmc I'm swapping a 91 silverado wire harness into, so I'm about to get real familiar with all this. :D

i'll have to check that out just in case. This thing needed a tune up like nobody's business, but it was firing up just fine before i messed with it. There has to be some way of checking if this thing is sparking up (aside from having the neighbor i don't like stick his tongue on one of the plug wires while i crank the engine...

Did you tune it up? More than once, I've seen the ignition module fail right after plugs/ cap/ rotor were replaced.

Either way, you need to check for spark. Pull a wire from a plug, stick a screwdriver in the end of the wire and place it near (1/4" or less) the block or frame and crank the engine, watching for spark between the metal screwdriver blade and the block/ frame (ground).

My bet is that the ignition module crapped.

Did you tune it up? More than once, I've seen the ignition module fail right after plugs/ cap/ rotor were replaced.

Either way, you need to check for spark. Pull a wire from a plug, stick a screwdriver in the end of the wire and place it near (1/4" or less) the block or frame and crank the engine, watching for spark between the metal screwdriver blade and the block/ frame (ground).

Is the ignition module something i can buy at an auto parts store or is this something i'm going to need to order? I took a picture of what i think it is, let me know if i'm on the right track. I'm thinking it is the one with the 2 sets of white & red wires in it.

post-77600-1277652056_thumb.jpg

Is the ignition module something i can buy at an auto parts store or is this something i'm going to need to order? I took a picture of what i think it is, let me know if i'm on the right track. I'm thinking it is the one with the 2 sets of white & red wires in it.

that's your coil.

Yes, should be in stock at autozone..think they even have the msd "high end" version of em.

I have one on my 305 that works, it just sits on top of the engine.. :happysad: thanks for showing me where it goes! :thumbs::lol:

the bracket is missing on mine.

• 2 weeks later...

that's your coil.

Yes, should be in stock at autozone..think they even have the msd "high end" version of em.

I have one on my 305 that works, it just sits on top of the engine.. :sigh: thanks for showing me where it goes! :lol::lol:

the bracket is missing on mine.

I'm about at my end here, i can't get this thing running. I put in a new ignition module, ignition coil, plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, and new harness. It cranks but won't fire, i don't think there is a spark whatsoever.

Check the wires going to the oil pressure sending unit.If they are loose,grounded against the engine/frame or even off the computer sees no oil pressure and won't allow the engine to start(ask me how I know this :) ).On my 454 the sending unit is up below the #1 cylinder,not sure where yours is.You might have done something to it when changing the spark plug wires.Worth a shot....

Check the wires going to the oil pressure sending unit.If they are loose,grounded against the engine/frame or even off the computer sees no oil pressure and won't allow the engine to start(ask me how I know this :) ).On my 454 the sending unit is up below the #1 cylinder,not sure where yours is.You might have done something to it when changing the spark plug wires.Worth a shot....

Thanks, i'll have to check that out. I'm almost wondering if it is a grounding issue now that you mention it. It all started after i put in a tachometer, it isn't likely since i have unhooked it, but i'm going to do some digging. Do ignition fuses auto reset?

WELL, i'm not sure if this is the whole problem, but i'm sure it's part of it!

...but this still doesn't explain why i have no spark coming off the coil.

This looks like a job for...someone much more mechanically inclined than I!!!

post-77600-1279066270_thumb.jpg

Time for a new dist.,your looks like it self distructed...and rusty.Actually distributors are not that hard to change,but there are some dos & don'ts.There are threads here that can you show how it's done.Try a search,I'm sure you'll find one :)

Archived