Yukon Xl Denali Fluid Suggestions (tranny, Xfer Case, Diff)

Hello everyone, great forums!

I am very new to the Yukon Denali. I just bought a very nice XL with 48k on it. I'd like to change the tranny, transfer case and rear diff fluids. Can someone recommend to me the best fluids to put in (Redline/Amsoil...etc), I'm assuming synthetic. I've also read some conflicting facts as to whether the factory used full synthetic or semi-synthetic. I won't be doing any regular towing, just pulling the occasional utility trailer with a garden tractor or dirt bikes.

Thanks in advance!

-Bryan

2007 Yukon XL Denali

It's an oil question! :thumbs:

Oil type/brand is one of those topics where everyone has an opinion and most of us change it so often that it really doesn't matter.

I personally use full synthetic oil everywhere possible.

Thanks bluArrow, I know...these questions get asked 1,000 times per day on these forums! I'm looking for something that does well in these vehicles though, maybe something that the majority uses with no issues? Or is it really one of those deals where you can't get is wrong (because I don't believe that is the case)?

Thanks!

-Bryan

Bryan,

Welcome to GMT! This site has a ton of good info. Just use the search feature for most topics you might have. Most have been talked about on here several times over.

As for your transmission. You need to run a Dexron VI fluid. You can pick it up at most auto parts stores. AMSOIL makes a Dexron VI fluid that you can use in your transmission as well.

The transfer case is more than likely the GM AutoTracII fluid that you have to get at the dealership. If you have the auto four wheel drive push button then it takes the AutoTracII fluid. It isn't to expensive and you will need right at two qts. I would get three to have an extra on hand.

Your rear differential takes a 75w-90 weight gear oil. A synthetic fluid is required for this. You can pick up Mobil 1 at the local Wal-Mart or you can get Royal Purple as some Auto Parts stores. AMSOIL has the Severe Gear oil for this application as well.

That pretty much covers it. If you are interested in getting AMSOIL fluids let me know and I can send you a quote for what it would cost to do everything with all the fluids shipped to your door.

Nick

Mikeyz: I had to check my owners manual again and you are partially right. Tranny oil under normal driving is not until 100k, however xfer case is 50k. It doesn't say anything about the diffs. Thanks everyone, EXTREMELY helpful and I appreciate the responses.

Nick: Going to wait in the tranny but will change the transfer case. Will let you know if I go the Amsoil route!

Thanks again gentlemen!

-Bryan

WHEN you do the trans (it's too early now unless the first 48K was all towing in the mountains), try to find Castrol DexronVI. Told by folks in the biz that it's as good as it gets. Another note....Anything that's a 'universal' trans fluid is junk.

Archived