How-To: Replace Heated Washer Unit With The Alphatherm.

jthelman

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, I have the Alphatherm unit in hand and the recall was done yesterday. The 60 amp fuse i sin the console and the wiring harness looks attached to the bracket with a dummy plug (???). I assume that the heater unit is in series with the tank. I found a rubber coupling between the tank and the line running to the wipers. Is this where I re-connect the hoses or is there another place?

BTW, I had an early 2007 GMT900 and I did not see a Made in China sticker on the back of the unit that was removed.

Never mind. I figured it out. The dummy plugs were actually the old units plugs in to the connectors.

OK, I have the Alphatherm unit in hand and the recall was done yesterday. The 60 amp fuse i sin the console and the wiring harness looks attached to the bracket with a dummy plug (???). I assume that the heater unit is in series with the tank. I found a rubber coupling between the tank and the line running to the wipers. Is this where I re-connect the hoses or is there another place?

BTW, I had an early 2007 GMT900 and I did not see a Made in China sticker on the back of the unit that was removed.

I went to the dealer for the recall today and they performed the TSB exactly as required leaving the truck side harness and bracket intact. I had previously removed the 60amp fuse so when I got home, with $100 check in hand, I installed my Alphatherm unit with no trouble. I still think GM dropped the ball on this one leaving folks who wanted and use the option frequently no other alternative.

GM did what needed to be done to get the recall out ASAP to avoid a potential lawsuit later on. Because a "heated washer fluid unit" isn't a critical device needed to make a vehicle run, why should they waste the millions needed to come up with a replacement solution when the majority of folks out there will be satisfied with getting $100 for the inconvenience of not having some hot water squirted onto your windshield? I don't blame GM one bit. No such thing as a perfect truck, no matter how much you paid for it.

GM did what needed to be done to get the recall out ASAP to avoid a potential lawsuit later on. Because a "heated washer fluid unit" isn't a critical device needed to make a vehicle run, why should they waste the millions needed to come up with a replacement solution when the majority of folks out there will be satisfied with getting $100 for the inconvenience of not having some hot water squirted onto your windshield? I don't blame GM one bit. No such thing as a perfect truck, no matter how much you paid for it.

Waste millions?? I bet if you add up all the labor and $100 refunds it would be just about even either way...

I am glad a company made a replacement product for this

I was quite pee'd off when I got my recall notice, I use the heated washer fluid constantly (in summer it gets the bugs off quicker). I certainly did not want a button in my truck that no longer works and I was offended by the $100 offer to make up for the loss of one of my trucks favorite features.

As for people saying that it is not a big deal that they are taking it away it is to me I use it as much as my memory seats and remote start.

You got by just fine without it before this option was available. It's not the end of the world.

This is somewhat silly logic.

We got by without anti lock brakes, halogen headlights, and electric starters.

100 years ago we got by without cars and trucks too.

You can say that "it's not the end of the world" to anything, but why does that make the option less valuable to the person that liked it?

Personally, by the end of the winter, this puppy saves me hours of scraping the windshield, so, yeah, I paid for it, like it and use it.

Feel free to bail out of this thread and find other threads and crap on their options. Maybe those crazy guys with the fancy audio thingies that make music come from the doors.

I had the recall done last week. And I installed the Alphatherm AT37GM unit today. The only thing I see that is different is the light in the switch flashes very fast when it has finished it's cycle.

Archived