How-To: Replace Heated Washer Unit With The Alphatherm.

jthelman

I'm considering ordering one of these to get back one of the greatest options available for driving in the cold white north of WI. Why did GM not just have this company replace the heater with their version rather than have all of us truck to the dealer to get the old one removed and not replaced? Maybe Alphatherm could not supply the quantity that GM wanted? Maybe they are not a union company? The Alphatherm design looks like it will solve any potential problems that were in the design of the oem unit.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You hit the nail on the head, Dave. Alpha Therm is not big enough to handle the recall, and add to that, the recall needed to get out there right away since it was a safety concern, with little to no time to think about alternatives, to prevent possible lawsuits.

I'm considering ordering one of these to get back one of the greatest options available for driving in the cold white north of WI. Why did GM not just have this company replace the heater with their version rather than have all of us truck to the dealer to get the old one removed and not replaced? Maybe Alphatherm could not supply the quantity that GM wanted? Maybe they are not a union company? The Alphatherm design looks like it will solve any potential problems that were in the design of the oem unit.

I wish I thought about removing the fuse before taking it in...oh well.

Just completed mine...took a whole 20 minutes start to finish. My dealer did the recall according to the bulletin, so it was a simple plug-n-play. Just gotta pick up a new fuse tomorrow :rant:

I forgot to take my fuse out too. Dealer wanted 25$ for the fuse. I decided to look in my dad's 08 Sierra to see if he had the fuse and he did. So I took the fuse and put it in my truck. I got a feeling that all trucks have the fuse even if they don't have the heated washer system.

Just got the recall done yesterday. Never even got to try it yet since I just got the truck. It must be somewhat helpful in Canada's sub-zero winters. I want to install the aftermarket washer heater, but not until my warranty is up. No chances worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered my Alphatherm unit and it showed up at the house three days later. Using the discount code found within this thread and factoring in buying the 60A fuse at the dealership parts counter ($2.08) since I forget to pull it before the recall I figure I cleared $30 for less than 30 minutes work. Not a bad deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Brought in my truck to the local dealer a few weeks back for warranty work. I had problems with door lock and other things. At the time I had already order the Alphatherm unit. When I told the guy not to perform the recall yet he refuse to work on the truck unless I authorized them to perform the recall (not starting to well). :( Figure what the heck but clearly requested that they follow the TSB to the T as I was intending the install after market replacement. As you can figure thing didn’t get better :D ; the not so useful mechanic at this dealer proceeded to cut the truck side of the connector as well as remove the bracket.

After visiting the service manager with a color copy of the TSB had tested his reading skills. He wasn’t able to provide a fix for me. They didn’t have any truck side connectors because that stuff goes to the garbage. I would say I was upset but that would be an understatement. I tried my luck calling alphatherm directly to see if they would have any Truck side connector I could buy off of them. (These guys are great) just a few days later all I needed to install my replacement unit was in my mailbox and I now have heated windshield washer again.

The bottom line GM ( ok ok not GM just my local GM dealer ) suck

AplhaTherm is great. http://www.alphathermusa.com/

Archived