How-To: Replace Heated Washer Unit With The Alphatherm.

jthelman

I ordered my Alphatherm unit and it showed up at the house three days later. Using the discount code found within this thread and factoring in buying the 60A fuse at the dealership parts counter ($2.08) since I forget to pull it before the recall I figure I cleared $30 for less than 30 minutes work. Not a bad deal.

I've gone through this thread a couple times now, and I couldn't find the discount code... What is it?

I'm ordering this thing pronto before the Canadian Winter hits LOL I love this forum!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I ordered my Alphatherm unit and it showed up at the house three days later. Using the discount code found within this thread and factoring in buying the 60A fuse at the dealership parts counter ($2.08) since I forget to pull it before the recall I figure I cleared $30 for less than 30 minutes work. Not a bad deal.

I've gone through this thread a couple times now, and I couldn't find the discount code... What is it?

I'm ordering this thing pronto before the Canadian Winter hits LOL I love this forum!

Hi, I just ordered one last night. The promo code I used was [ web716 ] Sam

I ordered an Alphatherm - the guy I talked with there was VERY courteous and helpful. Went to my GMC dealer and explained that I wanted to do the recall and replace the GM unit being recalled with the Alphatherm unit. The GMC dealer pulled the GM unit and put in the Alphatherm unit and didn't charge me anything. Great service from Alphatherm and great service from my GMC dealer. Plus, I came out a little ahead in money on the deal with the GM recall refund!

I ordered an Alphatherm - the guy I talked with there was VERY courteous and helpful. Went to my GMC dealer and explained that I wanted to do the recall and replace the GM unit being recalled with the Alphatherm unit. The GMC dealer pulled the GM unit and put in the Alphatherm unit and didn't charge me anything. Great service from Alphatherm and great service from my GMC dealer. Plus, I came out a little ahead in money on the deal with the GM recall refund!

When I went to put my unit in, I was suprised that the recall dealer just cut and taped the hot and ground wire and left the unit in my truck. I now have a factory unit with the wires reconnected by an electronics friend of mine and it is for sale for $40.00 shipped to 48 states. New unit installed. Bummer, I should of looked better as I would not have had to buy one.

When I went to put my unit in, I was suprised that the recall dealer just cut and taped the hot and ground wire and left the unit in my truck. I now have a factory unit with the wires reconnected by an electronics friend of mine and it is for sale for $40.00 shipped to 48 states. New unit installed. Bummer, I should of looked better as I would not have had to buy one.

Dealer wanted to cut the truck side connectors on my truck because he said it had to be totally disabled. Told him to go F himself. Wouldn't set me up for the recall check either unless he performed the recall the way he wanted to.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, I just ordered one last night. The promo code I used was [ web716 ] Sam

Thank you! Just ordered it! :tear:

Received it Friday, and installed it today. Couldnt have been easier.

Few things...

1) it wouldn't clip into the top of my existing GM bracket.. after much messing around, bending, twisting, I just said screw it, clipped in the bottom and zap-strapped the unit.

2) make sure you run the washer hose BEHIND and AROUND the hood hinge/bracket, not underneath it (I'm an idiot)

3) is this thing supposed to be WARM fluid? after PRIMING it, I put the fuse in (only $5 might I add) and cycled it.. and it didn't seem that warm to the touch.. but the light on the switch blinked, and it did its full 4-pass cycle.

so.. guess we'll see how it goes on the first frost...

post-80768-1286732261_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I installed the Alpa Therm . It doesn't seem to be as hot as my old one , it used to start bubbling , steaming out of the washer nozzles and steam on the windshield when applied . Can anyone vouch for this ? I'm thinking I might have a bum unit , it does get warm ,just not anywhere near as the old one. I had to zip tie my unit ,bracket was too mangled and I managed to "wear off" the top tab on the Alpha unit . At this point I rate this product a 6 . Your responses will help me decide whether to return this unit for exchange if its worth the effort. Thanks

I took my 2007 Silverado in a couple of months ago for the warranty work to be performed at the dealer. After reading about the Alpha Therm unit on Sunday, I decided to go take a look and see if the dealer had cut the wires and what condition things would be in before placing my order. To my surprise, I found the factory unit intact with wires still attached. The only thing the dealer had done was pull the 60A fuse and then sent me the $100 check. They also gave me a piece of paper with Owner Manual Supplement at the top and the following statement below it "The heated windshield washer fluid system has been permanently disabled and removed from this vehicle". I put in a new 60A fuse yesterday and had heated wiper fluid once again. I was all set to purchase the Alpha Therm, but now I am having second thoughts since I have heated fluid once again with the factory unit.

I installed the Alpa Therm . It doesn't seem to be as hot as my old one , it used to start bubbling , steaming out of the washer nozzles and steam on the windshield when applied . Can anyone vouch for this ? I'm thinking I might have a bum unit , it does get warm ,just not anywhere near as the old one. I had to zip tie my unit ,bracket was too mangled and I managed to "wear off" the top tab on the Alpha unit . At this point I rate this product a 6 . Your responses will help me decide whether to return this unit for exchange if its worth the effort. Thanks

I'd have to double check,but I'm pretty sure my AlphaTherm unit creates steam out of the nozzles like the original one did.

haha, I had the exact same experience with the bent bracket and wearing off that top tab. As well.. it doesn't SEEM hot, guess we'll see when it starts getting cold around here.

haha, I had the exact same experience with the bent bracket and wearing off that top tab. As well.. it doesn't SEEM hot, guess we'll see when it starts getting cold around here.

Same here, lukewarm fluid plus the bracket bent when the dealer removed the old unit. The bracket is a bad design; it's meant to act like a spring but only made from mild steel. I removed and reshaped it so that the Aphatherm clipped in, then reinstalled both as a unit.

Archived