How-To: Replace Heated Washer Unit With The Alphatherm.

jthelman

I installed the Alpa Therm . It doesn't seem to be as hot as my old one , it used to start bubbling , steaming out of the washer nozzles and steam on the windshield when applied . Can anyone vouch for this ? I'm thinking I might have a bum unit , it does get warm ,just not anywhere near as the old one. I had to zip tie my unit ,bracket was too mangled and I managed to "wear off" the top tab on the Alpha unit . At this point I rate this product a 6 . Your responses will help me decide whether to return this unit for exchange if its worth the effort. Thanks

AlphaTherm team appreciates your opinion and wants to address any issue you may have. The explanation below is with regard to the fluid temperature.

FLUID TEMPERATURE

The original GM heated wash unit had a very wide tolerance for fluid temperature. Some units overheated the fluid causing excessive steam, pre-spray and alcohol evaporation. This overheating reduced the amount of hot fluid that reached the windshield and the reduced alcohol could cause the fluid to freeze.

Via an enhanced internal temperature sensor and software, the AT-37GM fluid temperature has been optimized for peak performance. This optimization allows the maximum amount of hot fluid to reach the windshield with shorter heat cycles and the maximum amount of alcohol. The AT-37GM Heated Wash performance meets global OEM specifications.

Most people have never tried to feel the temperature of the fluid produced by the factory installed heated wash unit. However, many people attempt to feel the fluid temperature of their replacement unit. The temperature of the fluid cannot be determined by touching the fluid in the air while it is spraying or by touching the fluid after it is on the windshield. The fluid temperature can only be felt by resting your hand on the nozzle for the entire length of spray. The temperature of the fluid will peak in the middle of the spray. Also, each spray will be slightly warmer than the previous as all of washer components heat up. If you cannot reach the spray nozzle, you can feel the spray at the output of the unit by disconnecting the output hose.

In addition, the following link shows the comparison between the original GM heated wash unit and the AT-37 Heated Wash.

http://www.alphathermusa.com/heated-wash-in-action.html

Please contact us if you have additional questions.

Thank you.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can hardly wait for the first frost just to try this thing out LOL (never had it in the first place as the recall was performed when I bought the truck)

Installed and ready to go!

Spent the last 2 nites south of Calgary Alta and both mornings were heavy frost.I just replaced my unit with the updated alpha therm unit.It is definatly not as hot as the old sytem steamed alot.With the new system I just let it do the complete 4 or 5 cycles and the windshield was clear.Weather was -5 cel.The old system you could usually clear after 2-3 cycles but hey this works maybe just use more washer fluid.Best part I still did not have to pull out the scraper

I ordered an Alphatherm - the guy I talked with there was VERY courteous and helpful. Went to my GMC dealer and explained that I wanted to do the recall and replace the GM unit being recalled with the Alphatherm unit. The GMC dealer pulled the GM unit and put in the Alphatherm unit and didn't charge me anything. Great service from Alphatherm and great service from my GMC dealer. Plus, I came out a little ahead in money on the deal with the GM recall refund!

When I went to put my unit in, I was suprised that the recall dealer just cut and taped the hot and ground wire and left the unit in my truck. I now have a factory unit with the wires reconnected by an electronics friend of mine and it is for sale for $40.00 shipped to 48 states. New unit installed. Bummer, I should of looked better as I would not have had to buy one.

Dealer wanted to cut the truck side connectors on my truck because he said it had to be totally disabled. Told him to go F himself. Wouldn't set me up for the recall check either unless he performed the recall the way he wanted to.

I have gone to one local dealer and called another. They both told me that they would have to cut the wires and pull the fuse. I cannot give them the defective unit and get the $100 check unless I let them. I already have my Alphatherm installed and I don't want anyone messing with it as it works so well. Oh well I guess for the life of the time I have this truck I will not be able to take it to a GM dealer without fear that they will remove the Alphatherm unit and cut the wires. Thanks GM for making me wake up and consider another manufacturer when selecting my next $45K truck.

--Michael

It's not the truck side of the connectors that they are to cut. They have to do it exactly the way the bulletin says. Have them reread it. I reminded my service advisor which side was to be cut when I took mine in. If they had cut the wrong side, I would have been on the phone to that number in your owners manual screaming my head off. Then my dealer would be replacing the entire wire harness and doing it right.

No parts are required for this recall.

SERVICE PROCEDURE:

This service procedure will permanently disable and remove the heated windshield washer

fluid system. After performing the procedure, dealers are to issue a $100 USD/$105 CDN

check to the customer as compensation for the loss of this feature.

Involved vehicles currently in dealer/retailer new or used car inventory are not eligible for a check. However, all new

vehicles currently in dealer/retailer inventory will be re-invoiced with appropriate dealer credit

for the elimination of this feature.

FUSE REMOVAL

2007-2009 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT,

2007-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado (GMT900), Suburban, Tahoe,

2007-2009 GMC Sierra (GMT900), Yukon and Yukon XL

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

Note: The underhood fuse block is located in the engine compartment on the driver side of the

vehicle. Refer to Underhood Fuse Block in the Owner’s Manual for fuse information.

2. Locate the underhood bussed electrical center (UBEC).

3. Remove the UBEC cover and locate the 60 amp heated windshield washer fuse.

Note: Remove the two relays next to the fuse to gain access to the fuse.

4. Remove the 60 amp heated windshield washer fuse using needle-nose pliers.

5. Discard the 60 amp heated windshield washer fuse.

6. Install the two relays removed in Step 4.

7. Refer to Windshield Washer Solvent Heater Removal in this bulletin. After completing the

Windshield Washer Solvent Heater Removal service procedure, proceed to Step 8 in this

section of the bulletin.

Heres the part on removing the heater module....

WINDSHIELD WASHER SOLVENT HEATER REMOVAL

1. Disconnect the windshield wiper solvent inlet and outlet hoses (1) from the windshield

washer solvent heater assembly and from the two plastic inlet and outlet windshield wiper

solvent hoses.

Note: Do NOT remove the connector retention clips from the connectors. Do NOT remove

the assembly bracket from the engine compartment.

2. Disconnect the two electrical connectors at the windshield washer solvent heater

assembly.

3. Remove the windshield washer solvent heater assembly from the assembly bracket using

a small flat blade screwdriver.

4. Place the windshield washer solvent heater assembly on a work bench.

5. Cut the two-wire connector from the windshield washer solvent heater assembly. Vary the

length of the red and black wires on the connector. Refer to illustration.

6. Cut the five-wire connector from the windshield washer solvent heater assembly. Vary the

length of the five wires on the connector.

7. Discard the windshield washer solvent heater assembly.

8. Wrap the large connector with two wires in electrical tape.

9. Wrap the red and green wires on the small connector separately.

10. Wrap the five wires on the small connector with electrical tape.

11. Connect the large two-wire connector to the body harness.

12. Connect the small five-wire connector to the body harness.

13. Secure the large two-wire connector and small five-wire connector to the windshield

washer solvent heater assembly bracket.

14. Connect the two windshield wiper solvent inlet and outlet hoses together. Use a portion of

the rubber wiper solvent hose removed in Step 1 if needed to join the two plastic wiper

solvent hoses together. Discard the remaining portions of the rubber windshield wiper

solvent hoses.

15. Route and secure windshield wiper solvent hose along passenger side front fender.

16. Return to the appropriate the Fuse Removal service procedure in this bulletin to continue

this repair.

8. Connect the negative battery cable.

9. Test the operation of the windshield wiper system.

9.1 Ensure that the wiper system functions in low and high positions.

9.2 Verify that the windshield wiper/washer switch functions. The windshield wiper

system should provide wiper fluid to the windshield.

9.3 Verify that the heated windshield washer switch does NOT flash.

10. Secure the UBEC cover on the UBEC.

11. Close the hood.

12. Make a copy of the Owner Manual Supplement, located at the back of this bulletin, and

place it in the glove box.

Note: Involved vehicles that are currently in dealer/retailer new car inventory are to receive a

corrected Monroney Label (MSRP window sticker). It is the responsibility of the Service

Manager to ensure this label replacement occurs as soon as possible.

13. After this procedure has been performed, issue a check to the customer in the amount of

$100 USD/$105 CDN as compensation for the loss of this feature. Involved vehicles that

are currently in dealer/retailer new or used car inventory are not eligible for a check.

However, all new vehicles currently in dealer/retailer inventory will be re-invoiced with

appropriate dealer credit for the elimination of this feature.

It's not the truck side of the connectors that they are to cut. They have to do it exactly the way the bulletin says. Have them reread it. I reminded my service advisor which side was to be cut when I took mine in. If they had cut the wrong side, I would have been on the phone to that number in your owners manual screaming my head off. Then my dealer would be replacing the entire wire harness and doing it right.

Thanks for the clarification.

I should go out there without the Alphatherm and fuse installed and have them show me the TSB so I can guide them to do it right. What about the hoses. Do they cut the hoses or put in a plastic tube between the two hoses that are taken off the heater unit.

--M

No need to cut the hose. Just a little rerouting. The bracket also should not be removed. You might want to remove the fuse before you go. Because you can save yourself $5 for a new one when you put in your alpha unit.

• 2 weeks later...

Just put in my alphatherm unit after the dealer did the recall after I specifically said NOT to... but.... that's another story.

Took about 30minutes, but I was taking my time and being meticulous about the hose routing and making it look real clean on the install. At least my dealer didn't mangel the moutning bracket as some have reported here. Popped right on.

Should have a frost oppotunity this week according to the local news weather-babe. Be anxious to see how it works relative to the OEM unit. I had one of those that make my truck look like it was snorting mad when you turned that thing on...I kinda liked it... :lol:

Some folks at work asked if my truck was taking a smoke break. By all accounts here, this one doesn't get as hot, but, I am just glad I have it back w/o a dead switch on the panel.

Of all the creature comforts availabe in trucks these days, THAT one seemed quite functional to me. I like it anyhow.

Not hard to put in at all.

:cheers:

On my 2007 the recall was done, and I got my check. But I don't have a switch on my dash, unless I am just missing it.

Could I have not had the thing and they gave me a $100 for just bringing it in?

Going to recheck later for where the thing should have been mounted, but where is the switch and what does it look like?

Archived