How-To: Replace Heated Washer Unit With The Alphatherm.

jthelman

I've yet to receive a recall, and my truck has been to the dealer a couple of times (regular maintenance) and they haven't said anything either.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see this is an old thread, has anybody ordered a Alphatherm unit lately ? I was just wondering if they are still available. I bought my 08 about 3 weeks ago and found out my heated washer didn't work. I didn't know why until just now, so I went out and checked and mine was removed the right way. Thanks for all this info.

• 5 months later...

I ordered a unit a few weeks ago. Alphatherm was easy to deal with and they shipped very quickly. The unit easily installs back into the OEM spot. I finally had a chance to use the unit this morning and it worked fantastic. I usually clean my windshield with washer fluid, but the fluid being heated cleared the window faster and didn't freeze that little bit of haze that I usually have to wait on the defroster to clear.

Curious if this recall was ever sent out in Canada? I just picked up 07 Sierra and before buying it I test drove atleast a dozen 07/08s and atleast half of them had the option... and they all were still functional. They were all at GM dealers BTW

Yup. I bought my '08 a few years ago (Canadian) and it had it done before I bought it. When GM pulls up the report associated to my VIN it says "recall performed" sometime in it's first year.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I went through all of this with my '07 LTZ, and raised he!! with the dealership and GM about resale on a truck with a button that did nothing, and asked them how to explain to a potential buyer that the button activated a feature that burned a few trucks to the ground. I did some research and then came up with a solution that both myself and my dealership were pleased with. I let them do the recall and keep the check, and in exchange had them replace the four button module (between the two 12v power outlets) with a new three button module that is currently used. Not sure what the part cost, I think around $65.00, but it could have been ten bucks or a hundred, and I didn't have to live with a constant reminder that something was removed from my truck. That freakin' dummy button with a light that didn't light and a function that didn't funtion drove me nuts. The harness for the button module was the same, install taken care of by them. If you have a button that does nothing and don't want or need the Alphatherm this is another option to consider.

Replacing the button module would have been a better resolution from GM than just disabling it. While the Alphatherm unit works okay, the fluid doesn't get nearly as hot as the original unit but maybe that's where the fire danger came from in the first place. GM fail...

• 4 months later...

I just installed the new replacement part.

Ordered the part on Friday and got the part on Wed. via UPS

All the needed parts are in the box.

Directions are easy to follow, just remember to flow the fluid first before connecting the wires as the directions state.

My install took about 1 hr to do.

I painted the arrows on the Input and Output 2 different bright neon colors of Nail polish that my daughters had to make it easier to tell which was the input and which was the output for the fluid.

My bracket was bent by the dealer taking the the unit out so my new heater does not fit as it should, I just used a wire tie to hold it in place. :banghead:

Works like a champ. :D

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Just got my unit today. If my kids leave me alone for a bit it'll be in tonight. Figures the weather is getting warmer but it'll be nice knowing its in and ready to go!

Installed it last night..kinda easy.

First post talks about removing the brace..Thanks for that. I did it right off the bat, would've had to do it anyway. makes life easy!

Only issue I had was routing the hoses. I routed them wrong at first. Had them under the hood hinge. I didn't like how it was looking and double checked opening and closing the hood. Looked like it had the potential to pinch. Took it apart and re routed it under the hinges. happy happy. I loved the heated option!

FYI. If you order to Canada, they ship UPS, you'll get dinged the broker fee. I didnt see an option to request USPS. Still worth it having it back though.

Oh yeah..bent plate at the bottom. NOT FUN trying to get it straight. I couldnt get any pliers or anything into that space. I ended up using a screwdriver and prying it into shape.

Archived