Coolant Change

I recently just picked up a 05 Silverado 1500. It has the 5.3. I want to change the coolant, and am wondering if there is a bleeding procedure in replaceing the coolant? I know i have to use Dexcool, other then that anything i should look for or tips? Thanks very much.

I recently just picked up a 05 Silverado 1500. It has the 5.3. I want to change the coolant, and am wondering if there is a bleeding procedure in replaceing the coolant? I know i have to use Dexcool, other then that anything i should look for or tips? Thanks very much.

When I changed mine, I bought some flush and followed the directions on the bottle, pretty much. The drain is on the bottom drivers side of the radiator and should even have a hose attached to the valve and run up the driver side rad. tank in little plastic holders molded into the rad. tank. I put regular green anti-freeze back in mine because of all the problems and recalls they had with dexcool(do a search on google and you'll find plenty). :lol:

1) pull the lower rad hose and let that amount drain

2) re- connect hose

3) measure how much came out for reference

4) fill resevoir to full mark

5) with resevoir cap off run the vehicle untill you reach normal operating temp

6) keep and eye on the resevoir while the vehicle is running and keep it at full

note:

- always use GM dexcool only!

- this is not a complete drain but most of it will come out

- should add approx the same amount that was drained so you know their are no problems

BlackOut V8

Thanks for the tips! I too have read a few problems about dexcool, are there any problems converting from dexcool to reg green prestone coolant? What would the converting include?

Thanks for the tips! I too have read a few problems about dexcool, are there any problems converting from dexcool to reg green prestone coolant? What would the converting include?

You'd just have to do a full flush with some flush you get from an auto parts store. If your red dexcool looks fine, and not discolored and rusty looking, I'd probably leave it with dexcool, unless you just want to switch it over.

Thanks. The truck has 74k miles on it, and the dexcool still looks fine. red/pink colored. Did a full fluid change, figured coolant would be next on the list. Can i pick up dexcool at local auto places, or do i have to go to a GM dealer?

Thanks. The truck has 74k miles on it, and the dexcool still looks fine. red/pink colored. Did a full fluid change, figured coolant would be next on the list. Can i pick up dexcool at local auto places, or do i have to go to a GM dealer?

Yes, you can buy it at any auto parts store.

Stay with Dex. You will be much better protected using it than the green. Buy 2 gallons of the full strength. You'll need to remove the lower radiator hose to drain it. There is no drain on the radiator anymore. Consider replacing all your hoses. 5 years old and depending on your mileage, they may be due.

As stated check your manual, but 14 qts is about right. Get at least 7 of the Dex in. Many people use distilled water to finish off the fill.

There is a purge procedure write-up in the Wiki.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?...icle&id=394

Keep the Dexcool.... Just change it the same as you should your Regular Green stuff....... Every year or two. Don't fool around and leave it in for 5 years or 100k..... It will become toxic....

Yeah the same jerk that decided we did not need the drain plug on the transmission pan.... He decided to take the radiator drain off toooo, and GM thought it would be a grand IDEA....

So Drop the lower hose and make a really good mess... Remember to keep the animals inside...... After the coolant has be ran for a couple heat/cool cycles it becomes toxic...

Jbo

I've been a Gm tech for 25 years and I can't recall any "recall" involving coolant ever. Dex cool is good stuff. What it doesn't like is interaction with air. If you have a properly sealed system there is nothing better. If you have a coolant leak where air can get in the system (when it cools and would pull air in) it can accelerate corrosion and formation of a rust like material. Not uncommon on the 4.3 litres back in the mid to late 90's.

Archived