Mileage...what To Expect

I'm going on a 600 mile roundtrip from WNY to carlisle PA. There are some pretty stiff hills between here and there. I'm pulling a one car trailer with a 67 Plymouth on it.

Obviously this truck will not pull like My Ford diesel dually but that truck was great on MPG. The diesel may of been capable of pulling a house off it's foundation....lol

What has anyone pulled and what MPG can I expect...5.3 Silverado...Automatic...2010

Thanks to all in advance

I'll give My reults if anyone is interested after I return

I would say 8-10. I just towed my boat on a 320 mile trip and got 8 mpg with the 6.2 liter.

OMG...I got over 15 with th ford...lol

I had a 2000 F-350 Crew Cab 4x4 with a Stage 3 Chip Package, and I usually got between 18 - 20 on the highway without towing. Towing a 6000 lb boat would get me between 11-13 with the diesel.

My 2009 5.3 Extended Cab Silverado w/ 3.42 gears gets about 18 on the highway without towing, and about 9-11 towing the same boat. I tow in 3rd gear (1:1) with the Chevy.

I am currently in the middle of a cross country relocation to Sacramento (Wyoming right now :lol: ). I am towing my towhauler with 2 ATV's and my street bike in it and 3 dirt bikes in the bed.

07 Sierra

5.3 4 speed 3.73 (signature has mods done)

Loaded wieght at NC scales was 12,860. :thumbs:

I have gotten anywhere from 8 MPG in the blue ridge moutains of WV and the Transcontinential divide in Wyoming, to 13-14 on the flatts of Nebraska. This is at 65 MPH.

My average from the outter banks of NC to present location in western Wyoming is 11.1 by both the DIC and the old paper calculations.

Been a great ride and the old Sierra has really impressed for a gasser. Trip report when we reached Sacramento in two days.

I will say invest in a good cooler and spend some time with the tranny to make it work properly. I have been able to keep temps at 160 with a high of 186 even with this load.

I pulled a 3800lb car on a 2300lb trailer and had probably 400lbs of parts and luggage (not including me and my girlfriend, add another 270lbs) and I got between 11 and 12 mph going from Wisconsin to Virginia. I have the 4 speed so you might do better. Plus I have 285/70-17 tires so those didn't help either.

Tow Vehicle: 2007 GMC Sierra CC, 5.3, 4X4, 3.73, 4sp. All factory.

Towed Uhaul car hauler & 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix from Cumberland, RI to Newport, AR (~1400 mi)

Approx average speed = 68mph

Average MPG = 11.2

I came down through the west vigina moutains and then through the smokies in TN.

Truck & trailor pulled straight and true, didnt have a single problem what so ever.

I would say 8-10. I just towed my boat on a 320 mile trip and got 8 mpg with the 6.2 liter.

OMG...I got over 15 with th ford...lol

before My ford diesel, I had a 97 silverado with a 350 and 5 speed stick. (extended cab and very nice truck,well, I haven't a had a bad truck yet of all 3 American makers) I got around 20 mpg without a trailer but got a bit under 15 with a single trailer/car to pull. I actually thought the "new" technology would get Me at least the same with an automatic. Got rid of the chevy/gas engine for the diesel as I moved up to 2 and 3 car trailers.

This will be interesting and from the previews...expensive....BUt...so far I haven't seen a post by someone with a 5.3 and 6 speed auto..most running the 6.2 and that is nasty on fuel

Gas has less energy per gallon than diesel and operates with much less compression/torque, so we really can't compare the two directly. Towing a 7k lb camper (e.g., wind sail) with the family loaded, I avg from 10 to 11 mpg on long trips (truck in sig). Local trips can range from 9 to 12+, depending on how high/steep I climb. Honestly, I'm very pleased with these numbers for a gas engine and this size/profile trailer.

The 6-spd probably won't help much w/ mpg when towing. Speed is the #1 factor when towing a wind sail.

Gas has less energy per gallon than diesel and operates with much less compression/torque, so we really can't compare the two directly. Towing a 7k lb camper (e.g., wind sail) with the family loaded, I avg from 10 to 11 mpg on long trips (truck in sig). Local trips can range from 9 to 12+, depending on how high/steep I climb. Honestly, I'm very pleased with these numbers for a gas engine and this size/profile trailer.

The 6-spd probably won't help much w/ mpg when towing. Speed is the #1 factor when towing a wind sail.

I understand. I'm pulling a 1 car trailer...1800 lbs and a 3600 pound car. Some nasty hills on the way to PA and a fair share of flats. I was pleased with My 97 silverado but sounds like the mileage with the new one is gonna be less...at least 20 % The gas powered silverado is what I'm comparing because a single trailer loaded behind My old diesel would be almost like towing nothing.

I also see the design of the truck with 308 gears and a 6 speed auto makes any type of incline a challenge to stay in 6th gear unless I'm going 65 +....As I said before,,,I'll report the findings on My return. Would like to hear from more 5.3 towing people.

So....what is the '67 Plymouth? Motor, tranny, stock,..etc?

As for mpg, I haven't had the chance to tow my travel trailer (6k lbs) yet with the new '10- CCSB 5.3 6sp 3.42, so I can't help there. I have pulled that trailer with my old 2k ECSB 4.8 4sp 3.73 (both are 4x4), and got around 8mpg or so travelling from the Flint, Mi area to Mt. Pleasant, Mi area.

Good luck, and have fun! I have heard the Carlisle show is great! Even better than the Nats in Columbus (only what I have heard).

Chris

2007 CC 2WD Vortex MAX 6.0/4spd/3:73 pulling a 6500 24ft cuddy cabin. Towing is 10-11MPG.

I'm going on a 600 mile roundtrip from WNY to carlisle PA. There are some pretty stiff hills between here and there. I'm pulling a one car trailer with a 67 Plymouth on it.

Obviously this truck will not pull like My Ford diesel dually but that truck was great on MPG. The diesel may of been capable of pulling a house off it's foundation....lol

What has anyone pulled and what MPG can I expect...5.3 Silverado...Automatic...2010

Thanks to all in advance

I'll give My reults if anyone is interested after I return

With my old truck (2005 Silverado 5.3L 4sp Auto, 3.73) pulling my Jeep on a Aluminum tandem trailer across Kansas and into Colorado I was getting between 6 and 8.

Archived