2005 Suburban Air Bag Light

I went to a friends to do the front brakes on my wife's 2005 Suburban. Well, the Air bag Light went on, and the DIC says Service Air Bag. My friend has a nice scanner, and the code says that thr front sensor 2 is bad. We cleared it, and it comes back right away. He showed me where they are, but could not see anything wrong.

I have read in the forums, that some connections under the seat could come loose. I would like to do it myself, but am scared it might go off. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

You will have to replace the sensor. There are two in the front. A left and a right. I just replaced my right one. I had to hook it up to a tech 11 to get the code. They are $103 bucks. They are on the radiator support bracket and held on by one bolt. You will need to remove the air bag fuse. Most people will disconnect the battery as well. Then wait a bit for it to power down and replace it. Its easy.

You will have to replace the sensor. There are two in the front. A left and a right. I just replaced my right one. I had to hook it up to a tech 11 to get the code. They are $103 bucks. They are on the radiator support bracket and held on by one bolt. You will need to remove the air bag fuse. Most people will disconnect the battery as well. Then wait a bit for it to power down and replace it. Its easy.

Thank you. I can't remember the code #, but it was someting about crash sensor 2. So pull the fuse, and should be good to go?

Thank you. I can't remember the code #, but it was someting about crash sensor 2. So pull the fuse, and should be good to go?

The part # is 10370149. I got the code if I can just find it. When the service airbag light is on, the air bag is disabled. Pulling the fuse just takes the sensors off line. Now the factory manual does not say disconnect the battery but most people will.

And some info on the B0100

DTC B0100, B0101, B0102, B0103, B0104, or B0105

DTC Descriptors

DTC B0100 : Front End Sensor 1 Performance (Left)

DTC B0101 : Discard Front End Sensor 1 (Left)

DTC B0102 : Incorrect Front End Sensor 1 Installed (Left)

DTC B0103 : Front End Sensor 2 Performance (Right)

DTC B0104 : Discard Front End Sensor 2 (Right)

DTC B0105 : Incorrect Front End Sensor 2 Installed (Right)

Circuit

Short to Ground

High Resistance

Open

Short to Voltage

Signal Performance

Front End Sensor Left Signal Circuit

--

--

B0100

--

--

Front End Sensor Left Voltage Circuit

B0100

B0100

B0100

B0100

B0100

Front End Sensor Right Signal Circuit

--

--

B0103

--

--

Front End Sensor Right Voltage Circuit

B0103

B0103

B0103

B0103

B0103

Circuit/System Description

The inflatable restraint front end sensor utilizes a unidirectional 2-wire circuit. The front end sensor modulates current on the interface to send ID, State of Health, and deployment commands to the inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module (SDM). The SDM serves as a power source and a ground for the front end sensor. When the ignition is turned ON and input power from the SDM is first detected, the SIS responds by performing internal diagnostics and sending an ID to the SDM. The SDM considers the ID to be valid if the response time is less than 5 seconds. The front end sensor continually communicates status messages to the SDM, which determines if a fault is present in the front end sensor circuit. When a fault is detected, the SDM resets the front end sensor twice by removing and reapplying power to it. If the fault is still present, the SDM will set a DTC.

Conditions for Running the DTC

Ignition voltage is between 9-16 volts.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

All of the following conditions exist for 2.5 seconds:

B0100 for Front End Sensor 1 or B0103 for Front End Sensor 2

• A valid ID message is not received within 5 seconds of the front end sensor being powered up.

• The SDM has not received a message from the front end sensor for more than 375 milliseconds.

• The SDM has reset the front end sensor twice without detecting a valid ID message.

B0101 for Front End Sensor 1 or B0104 for Front End Sensor 2

• The SDM has received an ID message from the front end sensor, which does not match the ID stored in the SDM memory.

• The SDM has reset the front end sensor twice without detecting a correct ID message.

B0102 for Front End Sensor 1 or B0105 for Front End Sensor 2

The SDM has received a NOK message from the front end sensor.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

• The SDM commands the AIR BAG indicator ON via serial data communications.

• The SIR System is disabled and no deployments are allowed.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

• The condition responsible for setting the DTC no longer exists and the scan tool Clear DTCs function is used.

• A history DTC will clear once 255 malfunction-free ignition cycles have occurred.

Archived