Removing Fan Clutch From Water Pump

I've got to replace my fan clutch and can't remember for sure if the threads on the nut holding it onto the water pump or right handed or left handed. I'm pretty sure they are left handed; but I wanted to check before I started banging. Does anyone know for sure? It's on my '97 Z71. Thanks!

The nut on my fan clutch has notches in it kind of like most left hand threaded nuts do. The new one I bought does not have those notches. When I replaced my water pump way back when, I could have sworn it was left hand threads (I brought it to a shop then and they used an air chisel to remove it. I don't have one of those lying around the house). I'll check the direction the fan spins. Thanks!

right hand threads on the last one I removed (95 model). I usually get them off by putting a pipe wrench on it and whacking the tip of the handle with a BFH until it pops loose.

:troll: an air chisel? ive had some tight fan clutches before.... never have needed an air chisel though (nor would i want to use one for that), just a few taps with a hammer always does the trick

another thing that helps is to leave the serp belt on and add tension to the belt via a 3/8 ratchet rotating the tensioner.

that often has enough resistance to break loose the fan clutch with a few taps of the hammer.... unless the previous guy who installed the fan was dumb enough to tighten it down with all his might (you just want to snug it up... resistance from the fan does the rest)

I've tried everything and this mother is not coming off. I broke one fan clutch pulley holding tool and tried everything else I've read on here. I'm at a complete loss.

Just for the record, I ended up renting the tool set made for Ford's (hard to type that word) and was able to get the nut off. I'd rather do a 4 wheel brake job than mess with that single nut again. Thanks for all the suggestions!

• 6 months later...

Just took mine off and lefty loosey will get the job done. I struggled for about 30 mins until I wrapped a rachet strap's strap around the pulley and tighten it by spinnging a wrench in the strap ends. once tight I wedged it between 2 pulleys and twisted the nut off. I also gave it a few taps with the hammer to try and free it up.

Archived