Replacing Spark Plugs And Wires

I am replacing the spark plugs and wires today in my Silverado (just hit 100,000 miles). I haven't changed plugs/wires before but from what I hear, it's really not that difficult. I will be using AC Delcos. Does anybody have a write up to guide me through the process for the first time?

It couldn't be simpler, just make sure you torque the spark plugs correctly(not too tight, at all). 13 lbs., I think. You don't need any torque wrench, those are for people who don't know what they're doing. Unless you're tightening head bolts, of course.

I'd recommend a set of Taylor wires too. Just do one at a time, it doesn't matter which you start or end with, make sure to add a dab of silicon grease on each boot, your Taylor wires will come with a small pack. The A/C delco's are already gaped, so just drop them in. Easy as pie. Good luck.

Took me about an hour (took my time) on my 2002 Sierra.

Use a set of needlenose to remove the old spark plug boots. You grab the metal casing and gently pull. Heat makes them hard to remove without the pliers.

Always check the gaps, never found a whole set pre-gapped correctly in 40 years.

Since you are replacing (correctly) the wires, you don't have to mess around being careful removing them. Just pull them off and if the boot tears, just use some needle nose pliers. In addition what the others said, use some anti-sieze on the plug threads (just the threads). Should run real smooth when you're done.

People say the back plug on the passenger side is hard to get to. Its not. Just put the socket on the plug..then put a short extension on the socket..then put the ratchet on the extension. Takes me no longer to get that one out than any of the others.

People say the back plug on the passenger side is hard to get to. Its not. Just put the socket on the plug..then put a short extension on the socket..then put the ratchet on the extension. Takes me no longer to get that one out than any of the others.

Also a 5/8's spark plug socket has a hex on the back side usually..... You can put a short socket matching that hex (i think its 11/16) on the socket works like a charm in that spot...... Also, that plug is really easy to get to on a lift...... That is usually how I get that plug.

But the two sockets work great..... That is my method if no lift is with in a couple feet.

Also to the torque person this is a two two finger or one finger tight procedure.... so pull it sung with one or two fingers on the wrench only. Carbon will take care of keeping it tight.

AC Delco plugs and Beldon wires.......

Changing plugs is straight forward..... It is quite simple...... No write up needed..... Let the engine be completely cool. I usually wait over night...... Everything you touch is cool that way and your less likely to strip the threads out of cold aluminum heads than hot heads...

Jbo

Like it was previously mentioned, be sure and just do one plug and wire at a time or you'll mess up and get your firing sequence messed up.

There is no distributor on these trucks. Each plug has its own coil right above it. All the wires are the same length. You can't mess it up.. :cool:

Like it was previously mentioned, be sure and just do one plug and wire at a time or you'll mess up and get your firing sequence messed up.

There is no distributor on these trucks. Each plug has its own coil right above it. All the wires are the same length. You can't mess it up.. :confused:

Thanks....didn't know that (obviously). :cool:

With distributor-less ignition I like the fact I will never have to walk out side and re-arrange plug wires for customers.... HAHA...

It is always funny when somebody walks in and has removed all plug wires at once and can no longer crank the vehicle..... :cool:

Jbo

Archived