Max Weight On Tailgate When Open

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 tomseeley

tomseeley

Enthusiast

• 71 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:29 PM

I've got a 2009 2500HD GMC duramax, which I mostly use to tow our RV, but occasionally the DW asks me to go buy something at Lowe's or HD, which I do.

I'm curious what is approximately the maximum weight I could safely put on the tailgate when it's down, as I'm loading heavy stuff into the bed itself. I bought 50 landscaping blocks recently, and since no one at Lowe's was OFF break I loaded 48 of them myself before some Lowe's guy sauntered up and asked if I wanted any help! I did it by putting about 6 of them at a time on the tailgate, then I hopped into the bed to slide each of them one at a time from the tailgate into the bed itself, and so forth till all 50 of them were stacked in the bed. It made me wonder how much stress I was putting on the gate, which is cantilevered while it's down (open).

In this particular case, each block weighs 22 lbs, so I had about 132 lbs on the gate. Hardly a huge load, but it made me wonder nonetheless.

Yesterday, I shopped for a small gas-powered trencher I might rent at HD to dig up part of our back yard. It also made me wonder what kind of load I'd be putting on the gate while loading it into the bed. In this case, I do not know the approx. weight of the trencher, but I could check, of course.

I haven't seen the answer in any of the GMC specs I've looked at online, so I thought I'd ask here.

Any thoughts?

#2 99chevy7.4L

99chevy7.4L

Enthusiast

• 421 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:24 PM

I would think safely you could put a couple hundred pounds on the tailgate with no prob. I wouldn't put more the 600 or so on it though. Just my opinion.
7.4L vortec, Airaid Cold Air Intake, EFI-Live, LS1 injectors, Derale Cooling tube pan, Bilstein shocks, Magnaflow 2.5inch Dual IN/OUT

Posted Image

#3 700 sportsman

700 sportsman

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,265 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:30 PM

Well lots of people, including my self load their atvs and sleds into the bed, and my atv weighs 800, of course it's only momentarily, not prolonged

#4 Casual But Jiggy

Casual But Jiggy

Enthusiast

• 170 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:25 PM

I think about this all the time when I step on the tailgate and there are 6 80# bags of concrete on it. That's 480 plus my 210 for a few seconds.
'09 2500HD SLE | Carbon Metallic | 20x9 XD Monsters 285/55-20 Toyo Open Country AT | Truxedo Lo Pro

#5 Wingnut

Wingnut

I ATE A BABY

• Senior Moderator
  • 13,827 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:55 PM

I'd imagine that the tailgate isn't the weak point. That would be the cables. Which I doubt GM learned their lesson on...Not that they're bad, but I wouldn't put money on them being exactly high-quality.

Which is why I never loaded my ATV in my truck without a helmet. My friends made fun of me, but that particular act can go very bad, very fast. And that's quite a ways to fall onto concrete.
2006 IBM M6 GTO (CLICK MEEEE)
All that and a bag of chips. 532 RWHP, 503 RWTQ.
2007 Avalanche Z71
Bone stock.
2010 Toyota Camry. No pics because BLAH!

#6 Zembonez

Zembonez

10 YEAR GMT MEMBER

• Truck of the Year
  • 18,072 posts
  • Name:Jim
  • Drives:GMC Sierra

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:08 PM

I think I remember seeing a spec somewhere that the gate was rated at 325 lbs. Not sure if that was for the GMT800 or GMT900 though. Should be similar.

a3-15-20124-07-34PM_0043acopy_zpsd6a10ce

FOUNDER of the RED TRUCK CLUB .

#7 2010 LTZ Z-71

2010 LTZ Z-71

Enthusiast

• 567 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:20 PM

I've put VR Tailgate Straps on my last three Chevy trucks. http://www.merchant-...gatestraps.aspx

Twice in the last several years, GM has had a total recall on the silly tailgate cables. Once was because the Chinese part rusted under the plastic and broke.

About five years ago, we had a law enforcement tragedy of huge proportions locally. The Hillsboro Police Dept was conducting a motorcycle safety course. After the course was over, three rather fat police officers sat on the tailgate of a 2500HD GMC and picked up all the orange cones off the course.

Apparently, three police officers, especially fat ones, is waaaay over the limit for the silly GM cables. The cables, both of them, snapped and it dropped the three cops on the tarmac.

The policemen were not wearing helmets, just to pick up cones, but it would have been a stellar idea.

In the fall off the truck bed, all three of the cops hit their heads on the pavement. Two were dead and one will be forever a vegetable.

Don't trust cables, even to sit on.

Get tailgate straps and quit worrying about the weight limit.

Steve

PS. That reminds me, I DO need to order a pair of tailgate straps for my new RED truck. And I surely will.

#8 700 sportsman

700 sportsman

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,265 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:36 PM

Wow, that's kinda shocking

#9 revrnd

revrnd

Enthusiast

• 621 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:45 PM

I think there was a weight limit mentioned when truck owners were mailed letters during the 1st recall. i made a pair of hinges (similiar to those on a C/K truck) for my 2000 when I broke a cable (before the recall).
Current vehicles:
1986 Chev Monte Carlo SS
2011 Chev K2500HD regular cab, 6 L/6 spd auto (Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Husky WD hitch)

Past trucks:
2004 Chev K2500HD regular cab, 6 L/4 spd auto
2000 GMC K2500 regular cab, 6 L/4 spd auto
1994 Chev K1500 regular cab longbox, 350/4 spd auto
1988 GMC T15 regular cab longbox, 4.3 L/4 spd auto
1982 GMC K15 regular cab shortbox, 305/4 spd auto

Retired from Oshawa Truck Assembly Plant Opened 1965, Closed 2009

#10 Kenbow

Kenbow

Enthusiast

• 38 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:05 PM

I think there was a weight limit mentioned when truck owners were mailed letters during the 1st recall. i made a pair of hinges (similiar to those on a C/K truck) for my 2000 when I broke a cable (before the recall).

Me and a buddy got dropped sitting on my gate with replacement cables, DO NOT TRUST them.

#11 hockeypro1411

hockeypro1411

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,643 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:05 PM

I've put VR Tailgate Straps on my last three Chevy trucks. http://www.merchant-...gatestraps.aspx

Twice in the last several years, GM has had a total recall on the silly tailgate cables. Once was because the Chinese part rusted under the plastic and broke.

About five years ago, we had a law enforcement tragedy of huge proportions locally. The Hillsboro Police Dept was conducting a motorcycle safety course. After the course was over, three rather fat police officers sat on the tailgate of a 2500HD GMC and picked up all the orange cones off the course.

Apparently, three police officers, especially fat ones, is waaaay over the limit for the silly GM cables. The cables, both of them, snapped and it dropped the three cops on the tarmac.

The policemen were not wearing helmets, just to pick up cones, but it would have been a stellar idea.

In the fall off the truck bed, all three of the cops hit their heads on the pavement. Two were dead and one will be forever a vegetable.

Don't trust cables, even to sit on.

Get tailgate straps and quit worrying about the weight limit.

Steve

PS. That reminds me, I DO need to order a pair of tailgate straps for my new RED truck. And I surely will.

:thumbs: ...There's still limits. The straps may not break, but the studs that hold them on can bend or break... I see a lot of guys going with these tailgate straps. I might try them out when my cables start to go.

#12 KMGZ400

KMGZ400

Senior Enthusiast

• 5,396 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:54 AM

I'd imagine that the tailgate isn't the weak point. That would be the cables. Which I doubt GM learned their lesson on...Not that they're bad, but I wouldn't put money on them being exactly high-quality.

Which is why I never loaded my ATV in my truck without a helmet. My friends made fun of me, but that particular act can go very bad, very fast. And that's quite a ways to fall onto concrete.

haha me too.. i always wear a helmet loading my 650lb atv into my truck... after seeing some horrid youtube videos and now hear people are dying from sitting on the tailgates... uhh yeah.

image_V1MHcoloredsized_zpsa15e91fd.jpg
2014 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 CCSB 4x4 LML 3.73 G80

2013 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 1500 ECSB 4x4 5.3 3.08 G80
2012 Chevrolet Cruze eco 1.4T M-6

2012 Nissan NV3500 S 5.6 3.54

#13 jro909

jro909

Your Own Personal Jesus

• 4,079 posts
  • Drives:04 1500 Silverado

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:55 AM

500 pounds i think is the limit.....i've seen a tailgate snap right off from a moron putting a grand worth of 20 foot lumber in a shortbox and letting the rest of the weight sit on the gate......
RCLB 5.3, 3.42 gears, Z85/82 Bilstein Hds, General AT2 Grabbers

Man fears what he does not understand- Anton LaVey

Old People Drive Slow To Make The Most Of The Time They Have Left

Member of the Red Truck Club

Proud Vortec Owner

#14 RyanbabZ71

RyanbabZ71

Administrator

• Senior Moderator
  • 18,573 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Drives:2010 Chevy Silverado Crewcab Z71 6.2L

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:27 PM

I had this beast on the tailgate. It was around 350lbs. No issues except it was a struggle to get it out of the bed between my neighbor and myself.

On my old truck I had a cable snap when I was standing on it that wasnt fun. That was a few months before the recall happened with the tailgate cables failing (2000 truck)

Attached Files

Edited by RyanbabZ71, 25 July 2010 - 09:28 PM.

Ryan

2010 Silverado Crewcab 4wd Z71 6.2L V-8 (L9H) Flex Fuel 6 Speed Transmission Sheer Silver Metallic
2012 Camaro 2SS Convertible 6.2L V-8 (L99) Ashen Gray Metallic
My Garage: http://www.gm-trucks...gallery&user=56
Camaro Mods http://www.camaro5.c...ad.php?t=257256

med_gallery_56_1830_72290.jpg

#15 BigBlueSilvy

BigBlueSilvy

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,041 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:33 PM

i load my atv with ramps on the tailgate. me and my quad combined is over 1000 pounds. any one know what the actual weight limit is?
2005 Chevy Silverado Z-71
2009 Arctic Cat Mud Pro 700

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users