12 replies to this topic

#1 jpierce575

jpierce575

Enthusiast

• 31 posts
  • Name:Jamie
  • Drives:2010 Silverado Laser Blue Special Edition

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:11 AM

I am sure this has been covered before, but I searched and cannot find the answer for my truck, just for older ones.

I have a 2010 Silverado that I just purchased and part of the deal was for the dealer to install the remote start. My salesman is now telling me that the factory remote start cannot be installed if it was not ordered originally and he wants to install an aftermarket one, but he didn't tell me what one. What RPO codes do I need for them to be able to install the factory one? I read on here that I need AP8, which I do have, but the window sticker says nothing about remote start installed or ready or capable. Is this the only code I need or do I need anything else?

It is supposed to go in and get this done on Monday, so time is critical. Should I just let them install the aftermarket one or insist on factory if I have what is needed?

Thank you.
Posted Image

#2 *2'Silverado'S*

*2'Silverado'S*

Enthusiast

• 366 posts
  • Name:Rob Barnett
  • Drives:2008 Silverado LT & 1982 Chev Shortbox Stepside

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:57 AM

i have a 2008 silverado with AP8 code and had the dealer add on the remote start no problem

1982 Chev Shortbox Stepside. Originally An Inline 6 Cylinder, Now A 355 c.i. SBC, M22 "Wide Ratio" Muncie 4 Speed with a Gearvendors Under/Overdrive. (.73 overdrive in, any gear) I Have Added Many Upgrades Over The 29 Years I Have Owned This Truck, Has Been Garage Parked For The Last 22 Winters.
2008 Silverado Regular Cab, 6' 6" Box, LT, Z71, 2wd,dark ming blue, 5.3 afm, mods added... 6 cd changer, dealer installed remote start, brake controller, 3 inch lowering shackles, 1" Strut Spacer, 15% side window tint to match rear glass, steering audio controls, WeatherTech digital fit floor liners, UHR and Costar Bluestar 2010 bluetooth module.

#3 carthman

carthman

Enthusiast

• 54 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:00 PM

I have a 2010 Sierra. Like you, getting remote start added, was part of the deal. I had AP8 also and the dealer had no problem adding the factory remote start. :)

gallery_75878_2241_2134.jpg

2010 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4

#4 jpierce575

jpierce575

Enthusiast

• 31 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:16 PM

So is AP8 the only code I need? If so, I am going to insist that they install the factory one.
Posted Image

#5 doug_scott

doug_scott

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,417 posts
  • Name:Doug Scott
  • Drives:2010 GMC SL Ext Cab 4.8

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:49 PM

you may have to go for the 2 way remote start. Give the parts guy your vin and tell him you want to buy the gmaccessories remote start, he will find the one that fits.

#6 jpierce575

jpierce575

Enthusiast

• 31 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:56 PM

So does anyone know if I get the factory one, whether I order it myself or they install it, does it come with just the two new remotes or is there a module that has to be plugged in somewhere? I know the dealer has to enable it in the computer, but I just wondered if there is an unused plug somewhere that I can point to and tell them it is already ready for remote start. As I said earlier, my salesman said if it was not ordered originally, it was not a feasable option because he said the wiring was not there.
Posted Image

#7 Cheesedaddy

Cheesedaddy

Enthusiast

• 111 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Drives:2010 GMC Sierra "All Terrain"

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:49 PM

You SHOULD get the factory one I'm 90% sure!!! All these trucks have the wire-harness/prep for the factory remote start, unless its a basic work truck model W/T. Dealer should have to add the receiver devise and give you the remote start key-fob. He is WRONG about having to install a after market one. If he still tells you this, I'd go to a different dealer. Hope this helps and that you get the factory remote start like you want. Anyhow, congrats on the new truck :) :chevy: :seeya:

Daniel

Edited by Cheesedaddy, 31 July 2010 - 11:51 PM.

#8 *2'Silverado'S*

*2'Silverado'S*

Enthusiast

• 366 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:04 AM

the part you need is # 17801236 this package has 2 remote start key fobs and the necessary start modual this will be installed by the service department the modual has a serial # that needs to be programmed from head office (GENERAL MOTORS) whole process is about an hour yes "insist that parts be installed or find another dearship"

Edited by 2silverado's, 01 August 2010 - 12:15 AM.

1982 Chev Shortbox Stepside. Originally An Inline 6 Cylinder, Now A 355 c.i. SBC, M22 "Wide Ratio" Muncie 4 Speed with a Gearvendors Under/Overdrive. (.73 overdrive in, any gear) I Have Added Many Upgrades Over The 29 Years I Have Owned This Truck, Has Been Garage Parked For The Last 22 Winters.
2008 Silverado Regular Cab, 6' 6" Box, LT, Z71, 2wd,dark ming blue, 5.3 afm, mods added... 6 cd changer, dealer installed remote start, brake controller, 3 inch lowering shackles, 1" Strut Spacer, 15% side window tint to match rear glass, steering audio controls, WeatherTech digital fit floor liners, UHR and Costar Bluestar 2010 bluetooth module.

#9 jpierce575

jpierce575

Enthusiast

• 31 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:37 AM

the part you need is # 17801236 this package has 2 remote start key fobs and the necessary start modual this will be installed by the service department the modual has a serial # that needs to be programmed from head office (GENERAL MOTORS) whole process is about an hour yes "insist that parts be installed or find another dearship"

That is the number that I thought should work. I guess I am going to have to cancel my appointment Monday and insist that it gets done the way I want. What I don't understand is that they are eating the cost of this install, and I was quoted $399.00 to install the one they are trying to talk me into, The factory one costs $195.00, plus about an hour for the install at $90.00, so that is $285.00 my cost that they have to absorb. Why in the world would they not do the cheaper one to begin with? I am sure the $285.00 that I would have to pay is considerably more that their cost.

Anyway, thanks for the info everyone. By the way, the truck is a 2010 Silverado LT Laser Blue Metalic Special edition. I know most of the aftermarket installers are reputable but I just don't want my NEW truck wiring harness hacked up yet to install something that was available from the factory.
Posted Image

#10 *2'Silverado'S*

*2'Silverado'S*

Enthusiast

• 366 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:06 AM

just because a person works behind a parts counter or service desk doesn't mean they are aware of all the parts that fit a certain vehicle i asked the young fella at a dealership down in Newmarket if he knew what a "dic" was he said "no"!!!

#11 doug_scott

doug_scott

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,417 posts
  • Name:Doug Scott
  • Drives:2010 GMC SL Ext Cab 4.8

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:28 PM

That is the number that I thought should work. I guess I am going to have to cancel my appointment Monday and insist that it gets done the way I want. What I don't understand is that they are eating the cost of this install, and I was quoted $399.00 to install the one they are trying to talk me into, The factory one costs $195.00, plus about an hour for the install at $90.00, so that is $285.00 my cost that they have to absorb. Why in the world would they not do the cheaper one to begin with? I am sure the $285.00 that I would have to pay is considerably more that their cost.

Anyway, thanks for the info everyone. By the way, the truck is a 2010 Silverado LT Laser Blue Metalic Special edition. I know most of the aftermarket installers are reputable but I just don't want my NEW truck wiring harness hacked up yet to install something that was available from the factory.

I had the dealer install the gmaccessory remote start on my 2010 Sierra SL. They had to use the kit that came with the extended range antenna, and I got the 2 way one. The two way one only comes with one fob, but they simply redid the other two so they still worked to operate doors and horn. I work from home, so the only need for the remote start is at home, so that fob stays there all the time. I think the 2 way was about $20 more than the standard one, and gives you basically most of the info the DIC does, plus fuel level.

#12 jpierce575

jpierce575

Enthusiast

• 31 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:43 PM

After some persistance, I was able to get the OEM remote start installed today.
Posted Image

#13 ajbardo

ajbardo

Enthusiast

• 83 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 01:21 AM

because if there is a problem with the aftermarket starter its not there problem its yours. with the oem they have to warranty it like it came on the truck
granite blue 2009 silverado 1500 ccsb. added fog lights, projectors, dic, blackbear auto cal tune. turboed before 2012.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users