Factory Remote Start

jpierce575

Question

I am sure this has been covered before, but I searched and cannot find the answer for my truck, just for older ones.

I have a 2010 Silverado that I just purchased and part of the deal was for the dealer to install the remote start. My salesman is now telling me that the factory remote start cannot be installed if it was not ordered originally and he wants to install an aftermarket one, but he didn't tell me what one. What RPO codes do I need for them to be able to install the factory one? I read on here that I need AP8, which I do have, but the window sticker says nothing about remote start installed or ready or capable. Is this the only code I need or do I need anything else?

It is supposed to go in and get this done on Monday, so time is critical. Should I just let them install the aftermarket one or insist on factory if I have what is needed?

Thank you.

0 answers to this question

the part you need is # 17801236 this package has 2 remote start key fobs and the necessary start modual this will be installed by the service department the modual has a serial # that needs to be programmed from head office (GENERAL MOTORS) whole process is about an hour yes "insist that parts be installed or find another dearship"

That is the number that I thought should work. I guess I am going to have to cancel my appointment Monday and insist that it gets done the way I want. What I don't understand is that they are eating the cost of this install, and I was quoted $399.00 to install the one they are trying to talk me into, The factory one costs $195.00, plus about an hour for the install at $90.00, so that is $285.00 my cost that they have to absorb. Why in the world would they not do the cheaper one to begin with? I am sure the $285.00 that I would have to pay is considerably more that their cost.

Anyway, thanks for the info everyone. By the way, the truck is a 2010 Silverado LT Laser Blue Metalic Special edition. I know most of the aftermarket installers are reputable but I just don't want my NEW truck wiring harness hacked up yet to install something that was available from the factory.

just because a person works behind a parts counter or service desk doesn't mean they are aware of all the parts that fit a certain vehicle i asked the young fella at a dealership down in Newmarket if he knew what a "dic" was he said "no"!!!

That is the number that I thought should work. I guess I am going to have to cancel my appointment Monday and insist that it gets done the way I want. What I don't understand is that they are eating the cost of this install, and I was quoted $399.00 to install the one they are trying to talk me into, The factory one costs $195.00, plus about an hour for the install at $90.00, so that is $285.00 my cost that they have to absorb. Why in the world would they not do the cheaper one to begin with? I am sure the $285.00 that I would have to pay is considerably more that their cost.

Anyway, thanks for the info everyone. By the way, the truck is a 2010 Silverado LT Laser Blue Metalic Special edition. I know most of the aftermarket installers are reputable but I just don't want my NEW truck wiring harness hacked up yet to install something that was available from the factory.

because if there is a problem with the aftermarket starter its not there problem its yours. with the oem they have to warranty it like it came on the truck

the part you need is # 17801236 this package has 2 remote start key fobs and the necessary start modual this will be installed by the service department the modual has a serial # that needs to be programmed from head office (GENERAL MOTORS) whole process is about an hour yes "insist that parts be installed or find another dearship"

I had the dealer install the gmaccessory remote start on my 2010 Sierra SL. They had to use the kit that came with the extended range antenna, and I got the 2 way one. The two way one only comes with one fob, but they simply redid the other two so they still worked to operate doors and horn. I work from home, so the only need for the remote start is at home, so that fob stays there all the time. I think the 2 way was about $20 more than the standard one, and gives you basically most of the info the DIC does, plus fuel level.

So does anyone know if I get the factory one, whether I order it myself or they install it, does it come with just the two new remotes or is there a module that has to be plugged in somewhere? I know the dealer has to enable it in the computer, but I just wondered if there is an unused plug somewhere that I can point to and tell them it is already ready for remote start. As I said earlier, my salesman said if it was not ordered originally, it was not a feasable option because he said the wiring was not there.

You SHOULD get the factory one I'm 90% sure!!! All these trucks have the wire-harness/prep for the factory remote start, unless its a basic work truck model W/T. Dealer should have to add the receiver devise and give you the remote start key-fob. He is WRONG about having to install a after market one. If he still tells you this, I'd go to a different dealer. Hope this helps and that you get the factory remote start like you want. Anyhow, congrats on the new truck :):chevy::seeya:

Daniel

Archived