Code P0449 (vent Solenoid)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 NickS

NickS

Enthusiast

• 340 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:52 PM

Ok, wife called me an told me check engine light came on this morning on her way to work. I told here to pull into autozone, and it was P0449.

it says,

Check connector and wiring
Purge or vent solenoid defective
Fuel saturated vapor canister
Failed EVAP Solenoid

From my searches, it is probably the solenoid (seems to be common in chevys). I tightened the gas cap and will see in the morning if maybe that was it. The problem is, I have searched thread after thread, and no one has posted the part for the solenoid, price, or instructions to fix on a 2007 Tahoe. Some people have said that it is around $98 (on '06 Tahoe) and $32 (on other vehicles) I type in "2007 Tahoe vent valve solenoid" and it brings up some sites and even ebay, but when I click on the item description, it shows for like 40 vehicles except 2007 Tahoe. It goes throgh the years but skips mine. Goes from 2007 silverado, to 2007 Chevy suburban, to 2007 Yukon, and on to 2008's. Does anyone have the part number I need to look for?

Also, how hard is it to install. From threads on other year models, it is like a 20-30min install. I'm just trying to find where it is located because some other threads, a couple of people on there (older year model tahoes and silverados) just pulled it off and sprayed compressed air and wd-40 in it and put it back together and light went off. I will probably try this first, but just need to find the damn thing.

Is there anything else I should check?

By the way, this is an '07 Tahoe with about 70,000 miles on it

Thanks

Posted Image

'08 Z71 4x4 / CCM 2.5" Leveling kit / Zone 1.5" Body Lift / 3" Rear Block / Airaid Jr. Intake /
285/60/18 Toyo's / Edge Evolution Programmer / Blackbear Tuned

Posted Image Rough Country 3" Premium Lift Posted Image

#2 txab

txab

Your worst fWONking nightmare

• 8,949 posts
  • Drives:2014 GMC Sierra

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:21 PM

Have you tried looking up the part on Rockauto.com?

100_0955-1-1-1.jpg
"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."
-- Benjamin Franklin

bbp.pngsynad.pngAdamslogo3_zpsc74f7e65.png

#3 govtech4

govtech4

Senior Enthusiast

• 4,723 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:45 PM

"ask a parts guy" forum is unavailable at this time lol.

relocate the filter to the engine bay and replace the canister also

dealer can do this in no time flat but have fun anyways!!
How do you write a signature on a laptop screen ??

lmao.

I'm here all week ,try the Veal !!

Rob

#4 tanked_darren

tanked_darren

Industrial Mechanic

• 2,334 posts
  • Drives:2007 GMC SIERRA, 2001 PONTIAC SUNFIRE

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:23 AM

"ask a parts guy" forum is unavailable at this time lol.

relocate the filter to the engine bay and replace the canister also

dealer can do this in no time flat but have fun anyways!!

At least on NBS gmc 2007 and 2008
This is right, I've done several at my job (dirty conditions) and had my own truck in for warrenty except they didn't relocate the vent.
Solenoid is on the gas tank near the rear on mine.

HERES MY OPINION:
I used to fuel up the gas tank right full like after it auto shut-off I'd top up the neck. Your not supposed to do that. After the first click the tank is full enough.
Driving in very deep puddles splashing and crap can get in the filter and work its way to the solenoid causing it to fail.

Edited by tanked_darren, 12 August 2010 - 01:25 PM.

2007 GMT-900 GMC 1500 W/T 4.8L V-8 2wd auto 4L60E, 3.23 gear ratio
Reg. Cab, 6'6" Box, BLACK
Added myself: GM fog light kit, DIC panel, OGM-1, Camera Source Back-up Cam, Sirius dock.
Added otherwise: Leer Canopy. Linex bedliner+over-rail.
2001 Pontiac Sunfire 4-door, 2.2L OHV, 4T40e, Kenwood Excelon 9990HD, Sirius dock, Bass Car! Gas saver for work as well.

#5 NickS

NickS

Enthusiast

• 340 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:26 PM

Ok, I found it at the dealership ($23.00). So does anyone know where it is located on a 2007 Tahoe? I'm going to try to take the old one off and clean it or something before I go buy a new one. Anyone know where its at?

Posted Image

'08 Z71 4x4 / CCM 2.5" Leveling kit / Zone 1.5" Body Lift / 3" Rear Block / Airaid Jr. Intake /

#6 txab

txab

Your worst fWONking nightmare

• 8,949 posts
  • Drives:2014 GMC Sierra

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:42 PM

Just buy a new one and install it. Cleaning doesn't always work and may not work long term.

100_0955-1-1-1.jpg
"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."
-- Benjamin Franklin

bbp.pngsynad.pngAdamslogo3_zpsc74f7e65.png

#7 govtech4

govtech4

Senior Enthusiast

• 4,723 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:07 PM

+1 don't bother cleaning for 23 bucks ,relocate the filter and drive it .

5/8" heater hose and 2 clamps

lmao.

Rob

#8 NickS

NickS

Enthusiast

• 340 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:30 PM

Ok, I get it, but no one is still answering my main question. I can't do anything until I find it. Where the hell is it located at on the Tahoe? :lol:

Also, I found some stuff about an emmisions warranty on GM (8 years or 80,000 miles) Anyone know if this sort of thing would be covered under that? I'm going to call my buddy at the dealership tommorrow, but wodered if anyone else knew.

thanks

Posted Image

#9 govtech4

govtech4

Senior Enthusiast

• 4,723 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:51 PM

darren already told you where it is and yes call or go in and have them run your vin to see if you have that emisions warranty ,

lmao.

Rob

#10 bossier62guy

bossier62guy

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,654 posts
  • Name:John
  • Drives:2002 Silverado Z-71

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:26 PM

Ok, I get it, but no one is still answering my main question. I can't do anything until I find it. Where the hell is it located at on the Tahoe? :thumbs:

Also, I found some stuff about an emmisions warranty on GM (8 years or 80,000 miles) Anyone know if this sort of thing would be covered under that? I'm going to call my buddy at the dealership tommorrow, but wodered if anyone else knew.

thanks

I just replaced one on an 07 Suburban a couple of weeks ago.....try dropping the spare tire down out of the way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users