Problems Bleeding Brakes.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 freekmcnasty

freekmcnasty

Enthusiast

• 23 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 12:15 PM

I made the mistake yesterday of bleeding the front brakes while replacing the pads, now I seem to be facing a problem with air in the lines. I went back and bleed front right then left until no air was coming through the lines but still seem to be having a mushy brake peddle. The rotor still will rotate when brakes are applied, any help is great help please!

#2 freekmcnasty

freekmcnasty

Enthusiast

• 23 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 12:22 PM

This is on a gmt-900, 2007 GMC Sierra 1500.

#3 dlewis1111

dlewis1111

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,091 posts
  • Name:David
  • Drives:2008 Silvefrado

Posted 14 August 2010 - 02:35 PM

I made the mistake yesterday of bleeding the front brakes while replacing the pads, now I seem to be facing a problem with air in the lines. I went back and bleed front right then left until no air was coming through the lines but still seem to be having a mushy brake peddle. The rotor still will rotate when brakes are applied, any help is great help please!

Not done it on these before, but most of the newer GM stuff requires special equipment to bleed because of the powered ABS control module.

Posted Image

#4 freekmcnasty

freekmcnasty

Enthusiast

• 23 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 03:28 PM

Shouldnt have bled it in the first place but here I am anyways haha. It seems like the air just keeps coming now. Its almost as if the brake pumps prior to releasing the valve dont build up much pressure, although there is still air bubbles coming out, the liquid really is shooting out with that much pressure.

Not done it on these before, but most of the newer GM stuff requires special equipment to bleed because of the powered ABS control module.

Edited by freekmcnasty, 14 August 2010 - 03:33 PM.

#5 txab

txab

Your worst fWONking nightmare

• 8,153 posts
  • Drives:2014 GMC Sierra

Posted 14 August 2010 - 06:01 PM

You do know how to properly bleed brakes don't you?
Brake bleeding

Did you allow the master cylinder to go dry at any point?

100_0955-1-1-1.jpg
"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."
-- Benjamin Franklin

bbp.pngsynad.pngAdamslogo3_zpsc74f7e65.png

#6 grose67

grose67

Enthusiast

• 393 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:21 AM

I just replaced the booster on my 98 GMC. I did a normal bleed, and it didnt work. After pumping a quart of brake fluid through each line, I finally got all of the air out.
Posted Image">

When I get to where I'm going, you'll know where I'm at.......

#7 cwendel4

cwendel4

Enthusiast

• 155 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 12:50 PM

I feel for ya, but there are no short cuts for this job.
Tip one, place a small piece of 2x4 under the pedal to keep from overextending the master cylinder and mushing up the seals between strokes.
#2 - it can take at least a quart of fluid to bleed the brakes once you have started, usually 2 is needed.
#3 - you now need to bleed all four corners to get all of the air out since the lines travel from the master to the ABS controller and then out to the wheels.
#4 - bleed the four corners untill there is no air coming out of each corner. bleed all of the air from each wheel before moving to the next, make sure the pedal is firm after the four corners. Then start the truck and let it run loong enough to check the pedal. if you now have a firm pedal you are golden and do not touch the bleeder screws again until you need to work on the brakes. if the pedal is not firm, start at #3 again until the pedal is firm when the engine is running.

Last point, make sure the bleeder screws are tight as they can be a source of slight leak which will lead to a soft pedal. IF there is brake fluid leaking from the threads after you have checked the pedal, even though you tightened the screw, it needs to be tighter and is the source of the soft pedal.
I don't care what it costs to fix as long as it is done right the first time.

#8 chrisb1

chrisb1

Enthusiast

• 191 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:58 PM

If master cylinder is mounted Front Left of engine bay, must bleed each position as follows starting with the furthest position in this order:

Right Rear
Left Rear
Right Front
Left Front

#9 07gregLT1

07gregLT1

Enthusiast

• 164 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:41 AM

i have one of these kits!

http://store.motivep...eeders-c15.aspx
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT1 | EXT Cab Short Bed | 2WD | 4.8L V8 | Rough Country 2" Leveling Kit | WeatherTech Mudguards
Posted Image

#10 Sly

Sly

Enthusiast

• 278 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 03:26 PM

Are you happy with it?
'02 Yukon XL Denali Garnet Red, K&N FIPK, Corsa Touring Catback, Hypertech Programmer, 160* Tstat, Arnott/Bilstein rear shocks, Powerslot rotors with Thermoquiet ceramic pads up front, stock rotors with Akebono ceramic pads on rear, Corvette Servo,Superior Billet Super Servo 4th apply piston with cover, DDM 6000K 55W HIDs, Clear parking/turn signals, LED Tail lights, Silverstar Amber Daytime Running lights, Optima Red Top, 5% Tint all around, Luggage rack removed, Escalade vent caps, Escalade gauge cluster, Blendmount Valentine One radar detector mount.

#11 Diesail

Diesail

Enthusiast

• 494 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:08 AM

If you have air in the ABS you have no choice but to take it to a dealer or somebody with a Tech II

#12 ptwat

ptwat

Enthusiast

• 46 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 07:03 AM

Are you happy with it?

I have one of the motive power bleeders also. I bought one after a local shop wanted a whole lot to replace the brake fluid in my wife's minivan. At the time I had a 2001 Tahoe with ABS and replaced the brake fluid in the mini van (with ABS) and the '01 Tahoe. I did not have any problems and the product worked great. The only thing is that there are specific caps you can buy for each type of vehicle that work much easier than the strap-on universal cap that comes with it.
My question is- I did not reset anything with the ABS modules and not sure what the "procedure" is supposed to be with the ABS module and the Tech II. I had no ill effects from using this method.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertise Here