100,000 Mile Service

My truck is about to hit the 99,000 mile mark and is due for an oil change(2005 Silverado 1500 Z71 5.3L) so I am going to go ahead and do the 100K mile service as well. As of right now I plan on doing the following:

Lube, Oil, and filter change

Change plugs

Service Transmission

Replace Coolant

Replace front and rear axle fluid

Check belts and hoses, replace if necessary

Check battery

Is there anything else that should be done? Replace fuel filter possibly? I don't use cheap gas, only Shell and Chevron. I also run Techron fuel system cleaner through every 3,000 miles.

Well a fuel filter won't hurt. As far as an oil change I hope synthetic oil is in the budget. Service the transmission likewise I hope a filter change is in order. I'd put a water pump in it if you haven't already. If its not weaping it will soon. Shocks or atleast checking the shocks would be in order. Just my opinion.

Synthetic motor oil is not a problem price wise, however, I'm a little wary of switching over to synthetic at this point. I have used conventional oil up until this point and have heard of it being more likely to leak after switching this far along. Any thoughts on that? As far as the shocks go, the front ones have about 40K on them and the rear ones are original. I plan on changing those sometime in the next 6 months as thats just not in the budget for this trip to the shop. Thanks for the advice on the fuel filter. I will have to find out the cost of putting in a new water pump before I decide if that will be included in this service as well but I certainly appreciate the advice.

Yah, if it ain't leaking DON'T mess with it........ My 1995 Blazer made it 250k+ some..... I changed it out of sympathy for the new owner... I was Leary it might die.... But I was wrong,,,,, When I got it off the bearings were still quite tight and the seals were good............

Fuel Filter is on the fuel pump only unless you have a flex fuel truck. If the 8th digit is a Z you have a fuel filter..... 2006 was the first year only the V6's had a fuel filter........

If its oil change it. Antifreeze change it. Change the filters (including the one in the trannie, resist the flushing machine at the quick-lube). Check wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rods, hoses,.... And if you have not already its time for plugs and wires.

Jbo

Techron cleaner every 3000 miles??? way too much man, no harm but to your wallet. Chevron gas alone does the job.

Top-tier fuel (shell and chevron are a part of this) is recomended for GM vehicles at least in my manual. Check it out.

GM doesn't recomend flushes of the trans, just pan drop/filter change.

Coolant. Yes.

READ THE OWNERS MANUAL.

Anytime the brake fluid is not clear, it should be changed (aka flushed). Or when ever your replacing pads or brake shoes it should be flushed in order to prevent trash from washing from the caliper or wheel cylinder back into the hose...... Note this should be done before tearing down the brake system to start with, you should flush then remove the caliper or shoes...

Trash lodged in a hose will cause a restriction, which will not allow the caliper or wheel cylinder to return to a neutral position quickly allowing for a sticking caliper or shoes....

If the brake fluid is brown IT HAS WATER IN IT. This cause the system to begin to rust from the inside out. Brake fluid (when not synthetic) will be clear when water moisture is present in the fluid.

Jbo

Archived