Tailgate Dent

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 briddle3

briddle3

Enthusiast

• 100 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:19 AM

Can the outer skin of the tailgate be replaced? We had a little mishap yesterday when i was hauling a couple bales of hay for a guy. Long story short the bumper hitch heavy duty trailer has to be loaded from back to front because of the ramps on the back. So I had loaded 2 bales on the back of the trailer and the old lady was pulling it up to the next bale and the hitch poped off and with the trailer being back heavy at the time it raised the hitch up and when she stoped the hitch cramed into my tailgate. I ordered a new bulldog hitch for the trailer but now i gotta fix my truck. The dent is straight down from the handle at the very bottom of the tailgate. I will try to get a picture of the damage tomorrow. I have already priced new and used tailgates and lets just say their not cheap by the time i paint it and have it linexed.

#2 BlackSilver

BlackSilver

Chief in Charge of Everything Else

• 1,141 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:08 PM

It's a truck. Dinged up tailgates are part of the deal.
Hans

3500HD LTZ CC LB DRW Go-power by Max & Allie
Proud Member #755 of the 3500 Dually Club
My truck has training wheels

Posted Image

#3 2001Silverado364

2001Silverado364

Two Tone.

• 3,958 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Drives:The LQ4

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:16 PM

I believe you'll just have to replace the tailgate. I don't THINK that the sheet metal will come off unless someone does a hack job and torches it off and welds it back together.

#4 matsrat

matsrat

Enthusiast

• 61 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:52 PM

Try car-part.com . you can search for a tailgate in your area. it lists all the salvage yards that have it and gives you a price.might get lucky and find one the same color as your truck.

#5 pm26

pm26

Senior Enthusiast

• 6,340 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:35 PM

Yes, you need a whole tailgate. Besides, even if the skin was replaceable, it would cost quite a bit to change it out.

I live in Florida and there is a lot of boaters here. I see dinged up bumpers and tailgates from boat trailers all the time on trucks. The most common ding is from the trailer winch handle and it happens when one turns the trailer too far while backing up and forces the winch crank against the tailgate. It commonly makes a golf ball size deep ding right in the center of the tailgate, just below the handle. I never made that mistake - I fortunately learned from other people's mistakes.

Edited by pm26, 20 August 2010 - 05:36 PM.

#6 See Ya

See Ya

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,233 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:52 AM

Can the outer skin of the tailgate be replaced? We had a little mishap yesterday when i was hauling a couple bales of hay for a guy. Long story short the bumper hitch heavy duty trailer has to be loaded from back to front because of the ramps on the back. So I had loaded 2 bales on the back of the trailer and the old lady was pulling it up to the next bale and the hitch poped off and with the trailer being back heavy at the time it raised the hitch up and when she stoped the hitch cramed into my tailgate. I ordered a new bulldog hitch for the trailer but now i gotta fix my truck. The dent is straight down from the handle at the very bottom of the tailgate. I will try to get a picture of the damage tomorrow. I have already priced new and used tailgates and lets just say their not cheap by the time i paint it and have it linexed.

Yes it can be fixed. Probably set you back a couple hundred dollars with most body shops. I paid $125 to have mine fixed 3x's! Yep, I had my trailer break free and ram my tail gate 3 x's, all within a 3 year time frame. Now before loading, I will try lifting tounge up, to make sure it is locked on to the hitch before loading. I have a good idea what your damage looks like, so I don't need to see pictures. It can be fixed and painted and look brand new again!
Moved on.

#7 Chevyboy86

Chevyboy86

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,301 posts
  • Drives:WORD UP

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:26 AM

my tail gates last a couple summers lol...already dented the crap outta the inside of mine from my quad. the hitch on my quad was smokin the tail gate every bump still looks fine on the outside tho!!! still closes.... :rant:

2007.5 Sierra SLT 2500hd Duramax, Loaded, Leather, Sunroof, 6" Lift, DVD, Billet S475/stock twin kit (60psi), Suncoast Gmax-6 tranny built by Husker Diesel, 1058 suncoast triple disc t/c, AFE cold pipe, M/A transfer case brace, EFI LIVE DSP5 by idaho rob, 35x12.5r20 Toyo's on BMF Novakanes, Amp Research Steps, Premier H/U, 3 JL audio amps, 2 JL woofers,  Focal components, Cobalt Gauges, HID's all around, bullet proof bumper, air dog 150 and all kinds of other little fuel mods. Soon - 40 over sticks, S3xx/S475 Fixed Vane twins, Motor currently under the knife! Shooting for 700+  In Loving Memory of TC 84-12
collage

#8 Daryl Z71

Daryl Z71

Like A Rock

• 4,596 posts
  • Name:Daryl
  • Drives:2006 Silverado Z71

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:02 PM

He paid for it, maybe he doesn't want to ride around in it with a beat up tailgate...

daryl_zps58e67fa8.png

2006 Silverado Z71 - 232,000 Miles and Counting...

#9 briddle3

briddle3

Enthusiast

• 100 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:56 PM

how do they fix it? Bondo and then a new paint job?

#10 briddle3

briddle3

Enthusiast

• 100 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:58 PM

He paid for it, maybe he doesn't want to ride around in it with a beat up tailgate...

Exactly... I work my trucks hard but i do take care of them and i want them to look nice

Edited by briddle3, 22 August 2010 - 10:59 PM.

#11 See Ya

See Ya

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,233 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:47 PM

how do they fix it? Bondo and then a new paint job?

That would be the cheap way of doing it, but not the professional way. I assume they pull out the dent and use lead to fill the hole, then sand it down, prime it, and then paint it. If you take a magnet over the repaired area and the magnet sticks, then you know they didn't use bondo.
Moved on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users