My 2010 Silverado With 4.8 Is A Dog

yes its a 4.8 for sure... i am try to get gears from the dealer right now see if the will go 50/50 or i am gonna trade the truck in ..i wish i would have bought the 1500hd i think i would have been happier. where do you get these spare pcms and doesnt the theft system run trought them as well. if i cut it hard enough in the rain on the right pavement i can fish tail but it will on slide out so far than the traction evenb though it is off comes on and kills the motor

Before you change the gears at the dealer, ask them to change the PCM settings to account for the new gears. They will quickly find out that GM will not allow that. I went through this already. The dealer must call GM to get new firmware for the PCM. Even if you change tire size they must do this. Spent hours at the dealer after putting the 4.10 in mine. They could not get GM to issues new firmware for the PCM. We even tried using a VIN from a truck that had 3.73 gears in it to get GM to supply stock PCM code for it. No go. Point is, the dealer cannot change diff ratios and get the PCM altered by the book.

I ended up getting Blackbear to fix it.

I also see that you have 3.23 now, so you do not have a 4x4. You can ignore any suggestions about front diff.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I bought a 2010 Silverado with a 4,8 had a k&n cai and a Gibson monster truck exhaust put on.... it is a dog cant even spin the tires in the rain. very very boggy low end i am very unhappy with this

i have talk to the dealer the have said tuff luck any ideas

Thanks

Rick

My '01 has the 4.8 with 3.73 gears, I have no problem spinning tires on dry pavement, although I dont do it just for no reason. I think you messed something up with the CAI and exhaust. Maybe a tune will take care of it, something is wrong with your current set up.

Try running a few bottles of Techron fuel system cleaner (available at WalMart) through it. That'll perk it up a little until you get new gears and a PCM tune, or a different truck. The 4.8 and those gears is more suited for a 3500 lb. car than it is for a 5000 lb. truck. My 5.3 with stock tune runs best on BP Silver mid-grade and an occasional bottle of Techron; it really doesn't like some other brands (even premium in those brands) and starts running like a slug on no-name cheapo stuff. Never had such a fuel sensitive vehicle before. Next time, I'll get the 6.2L if they're still available by then.

you're going to take a big hit in the wallet if you trade the truck back in. you seem to be focused on spinning the tires in this thread, but surely your *actual* concern must be with towing performance, etc. either there's a problem with your truck that needs to be diagnosed, or you're just too focused on spinning the tires. the torque management implemented by GM deliberately tries to eliminate this kind of behavior because it places undue stress on the drivetrain. a custom tune can reduce this torque management.

for what it's worth, regarding daily driving my 4.8 is MORE than fine and i have no problems accelerating into traffic. in fact the interstate on-ramp i use daily is extremely short and i have no problem getting up to 70 mph to safely merge with traffic. and i'm basking in all of GM's torque management glory.

chances are your custom exhaust is robbing some of your low-end torque. aside from that, the 4.8L + 3.23 combo won't provide the most enjoyable towing experience. should do fine with relatively light loads though. sorry you're not happy with your purchase, hope it works out for you.

just my 0.02, i have 2 ECSB silverados, 3.73, ones 4.8 open diff, 5.3 G80. the 4.8 drags ass compared to my 5.3.... doesnt not have nearly as much grunt, bottom or top end. still a great truck, just not a speed demon.

so if i were the original poster, i would sell and find a 6.0, 6.2, or at least a 5.3. i would rather have an older truck with a bigger engine then a newer truck with a smaller engine. thats just me.

I had a 2000 4.8 reg cab..... I put exhaust, cold air in it and lifted it 3 inches and added 16 inch rims and 33 inch tires. Took that baby to 400,000 km..... It was gutless compared to my vmax of course, but she still moved pretty good considering. I chewed through a mudhole with water coming over my hood once. My bet is it's all the emissions BS, torque management, and other wimpy things the new ones come with. One thing I know for sure though is, after owning a VMax, thats all I'm gonna drive.

I have the 4.8 with 3:42 gears stock tune and it won't spin the tires when it's dry, but if it's wet they will spin from a stop without realling trying and if I punch it while going 45 or less they will break loose then too. The 4.8 isn't a beast or even on par with the 5.3, but it will get out of it's own way. I don't tow with it and I don't think I would ever try with anything other that a jetski/quad or 2.

I'm assuming 4.8L's still come with 4 speed's? If so then, ya I can see the 3.23 gears being extremely tall. One of your other foes, is TQ management, Severely retards any power you have at the low end to help save on the drive train ect for there 100k warranty. Your best bet is a Tune with a replacement core, pop it in and see what it does, need to goto the dealer? pop it out.. takes 3-4 minutes max.

Gears are expensive..

Tune 300+

New truck 8-10k more.

Fact is, you shouldn't of skimped or bought the truck before knowing what It was capable of, or that it wouldnt meat your demands or man pride(last one being the issue most likely).

Try and live with it, or kick yourself in the ass and go buy the truck you really wanted... hope theres overtime in your future either way.

Archived