My 2010 Silverado With 4.8 Is A Dog

i have the 4.8 in an 07 new body style. I actually think it isnt bad at all. granted i have 3.73 gears (says on window sticker), so that helps. but the governor is 89mph, lol. prolly b.c of the gearing. you want doggish? drive an OBS 5.0L. my 98 with the 5.0 and 3.42 gears, or something a lil worse, with around sucked. thats why my 4.8 feels awesome.

and i have no problem pulling a dual axel 8' x 20' steel enclosed NON-V.NOSE trailer with 6 motorcycles or atv's in it. the 3.73's really help that!

original poster, does the truck have the towing package? with tranny cooler and oil cooler? im guessing it doesnt since you only have those gears. if it doesnt, and you wanna tow, get all that added too (or a new truck)... bad truck if you wanna tow, unless your pulling a small/light trailer.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i have the 4.8 in an 07 new body style. I actually think it isnt bad at all. granted i have 3.73 gears (says on window sticker), so that helps. but the governor is 89mph, lol. prolly b.c of the gearing. you want doggish? drive an OBS 5.0L. my 98 with the 5.0 and 3.42 gears, or something a lil worse, with around sucked. thats why my 4.8 feels awesome.

and i have no problem pulling a dual axel 8' x 20' steel enclosed NON-V.NOSE trailer with 6 motorcycles or atv's in it. the 3.73's really help that!

original poster, does the truck have the towing package? with tranny cooler and oil cooler? im guessing it doesnt since you only have those gears. if it doesnt, and you wanna tow, get all that added too (or a new truck)... bad truck if you wanna tow, unless your pulling a small/light trailer.

And I thought my truck was bad because it was limited at 92mph.

my classic has 3.23s with my 4.8 it has the towing package with the trans cooler ect. i didnt buy it to tow so i dont know how it would do.but it runs just fine for me i have no compaints.i added a gibson exhaust for sound but would like it louder. ive had it 3 years and am really happy with it

To the OP, again i'm going with nannies.. and gear choice, but just live with it, you bought it, it will work for you unless you start pulling 5500+ lbs trailers, and its still better then a colorado.. well the 5 cly ones anyways ;)

I have the 5.3 and I think 3.73 gears. It has great hp and towing power, plenty of speed. But as far as I know I have never spun the tires wet or dry. Seem like something you would want to leave to the stick shift transmission. Seems like it would be hard on the motor and trans flooring it like that from a dead stop. I do floor it to pass somebody though and it will boogie on down the road :cheers:

To be fair, my ecsb with a 5.3, 3.08, 6spd auto, and 265/17s had a hard time on dry asphalt last time I tried, but tore em up in rain. She's walked all over some trucks that have no issues roasting tires. I know that's not the point of this thread, but I'm just trying to put things in perspective. Spinning tires doesn't necessarily equate to power. On the plus side, last time I had her out at the farm, she kept the power where I needed it(on the ground) without losing traction, so there is always pluses and minuses. I really have never driven a 4.8 that made me dislike the motor. I wouldn't trade my 5.3 for it, but I actually went to the dealer looking for an EC 4.8 4x4. Just lucked out on a 5.3. If you think that 4.8 is a dog, drive a 4.6 ford or 4.7 dodge. If you still think its a dog, something is wrong with it.

I didn't think you could get 3.23 gears in a 4x4. If so, what dealer in their right mind would configure a 4x4 like that?

That was what I thought as well, and going by the online build tool and by my dealer you cannot get 3.23 in a 4x4 with the 4.8 engine. 4.8 must have 3.42 gears, at least in Canada it is that way.

Archived