My 2010 Silverado With 4.8 Is A Dog

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have driven many 4.8s, 4.3s, 5.3s, as well as other makes trucks. Perks of being an appraiser, and ex-mechanic.

I honestly think the 4.8 has more get-up than just about anything on the market, short of a Hemi dodge, Titan, or 5.7 Tundra (obviously including the 5.3 as well). It does lack a little low end, but its certainly not a slouch I don't think. Are you sure you didn't get a 4.3? Pop the hood and check the emissions label on the airbox. Look at what the label says. 4.3 class, 4.8 class etc. It really sounds like you are describing a 4.3 to me, but that's just my opinion.

In response to a comment earlier.. completely unbiased opinion, the newer Fords are DOGS. PERIOD. When I was truck shopping, I opened my mind to all makes. I have always been a GM nut, but really liked the Ford styling and ground clearance, really like the Nissan's features etc. I drove all KINDS of Fords at work. 4.6, 5.4, RC, EC, CC, 4x4, 4x2, Fx4, Fx2, OBS, NBS, etc etc etc. All of them were DOGS until you got em moving, and even then they were pretty bad. Engine braking was a joke, almost dangerous. I couldn't imagine putting an F150 with a 5.4 in 4LO and expecting the engine to hold it going down hill. It felt like there was 0 compression. There was one model that seemed to have a little power though. It was an FX4, had the step side bed etc. I forget what the package was called, but that thing was pleasant to drive. Ultimately the Ford was voted out for power and transmission problems, Dodge for build quality, Nissan for MPG, and Toyota for price. Chevy's only problem to me (and a big one) was ground clearance. I'll take care of that one of these days.

My 4.3 spins the tires off the line no problem....

My 4.8 3.23 custom tune truck with 20" tires and 33's still spins in the rain. I of course didn't buy a truck to spin tires. If that's what you were so worried about in the first place then you really messed up going with the truck you did. No sales man is good enough to talk you out of a vehicle you want. If it was that easy than you need to come my way. I have all kinds of stuff that you NEED to buy from me

My 4.8 3.23 custom tune truck with 20" tires and 33's still spins in the rain. I of course didn't buy a truck to spin tires. If that's what you were so worried about in the first place then you really messed up going with the truck you did. No sales man is good enough to talk you out of a vehicle you want. If it was that easy than you need to come my way. I have all kinds of stuff that you NEED to buy from me

Brett, sorry to go off-topic, but did you have the 33's before the tune? If so, how did it perform? I'm debate on going to 285/70/17 when I upgrade.

Brett, sorry to go off-topic, but did you have the 33's before the tune? If so, how did it perform? I'm debate on going to 285/70/17 when I upgrade.

Yea I had the 33's for about 2 1/2 or 3 months before I got the tune. Honestly it was extremely sluggish but not horrible. I mean with my engine and gear setup it's not ideal for the rim and tire combo I ran but it wasn't too bad. I definitely recommend getting a tune though. Gas mileage will be poop.

+2 on the exhaust. I lost some low-end power on my old 5.3 when I put dual straight pipes on it with no mufflers. Not sure about your exhaust size.

The tire size and differential gears also make a difference. Do you know what your has?

My 5.3 with 308's is a bit slow off the line but when hitting 30 it pulls very nice to hard. I don't understand the thinking of ALOT of people on this site as they think buying a TRUCK is buying a sportscar. They are heavy and if You want camaro performance out of a 2 1/2 ton plus truck...buy a camaro. Trucks are built to haul work items...not burn rubber....

and I'm sure I'll get whacked for this but I understand the "mentalty" and forgive.

ANother thing.....why "tune" a new truck///voids warranty.....guess ALOT of people on this site have money to burn.

+2 on the exhaust. I lost some low-end power on my old 5.3 when I put dual straight pipes on it with no mufflers. Not sure about your exhaust size.

The tire size and differential gears also make a difference. Do you know what your has?

My 5.3 with 308's is a bit slow off the line but when hitting 30 it pulls very nice to hard. I don't understand the thinking of ALOT of people on this site as they think buying a TRUCK is buying a sportscar. They are heavy and if You want camaro performance out of a 2 1/2 ton plus truck...buy a camaro. Trucks are built to haul work items...not burn rubber....

and I'm sure I'll get whacked for this but I understand the "mentalty" and forgive.

ANother thing.....why "tune" a new truck///voids warranty.....guess ALOT of people on this site have money to burn.

Why tune? With a Blackbear, you keep your stock PCM/TCM. Swap them back in when you go to the dealer. Not everybody on this site is going to hon the hell out of their truck and break it. What's wrong with wanting a little more power and responsiveness? GM cut the balls off these trucks with nannies and tunes give back the power they rob.

I'm completely stock myself (as of now), but I've yet to see or hear of someone losing their warranty on a gas motor due to a "tune". Diesel is another story, as tuning those can really bump up the torque. Tuning a stock 4.8, 5.3, 6.0 or 6.2 only increases power/torque ~5%. Most of the difference in "seat of the pants" comes from adjusting the rate of power delivery and shifts.

That said, if a person removes all nannies and then runs around hammering the snot out of their truck and manages to damage a hard part, they should expect to man up to it when confronted and possibly have their warranty voided. Otherwise, the rest of us are paying for their fun & games.

WELL EVERYBODY HERE SEEMS TO THINK I WANNA SPIN MY TIRES BUT MY ACTUAL CONCERN WAS TOWING......LET ME PUT IT INTO PERSPECTIVE FOR YA I WAS TOWING A 2200 LBS TENT TRAILER AND COULDN'T GET PAST 20 CLICKS ON A HILL SO THERE YOU HAVE IT I DONT WANT A SPORTS CAR OR A TIRE ROASTING MACHINE I SAID THE TIRE THING FOR COMPARASION HOLY CRAP

Archived