Front End Popping About To Drive Me Crazy

My 08 1500 started doing this last fall. I took it to a frontend shop I've been using for over 30 yrs. He checked the balljoints and steering and said it's not those things and that GM trucks had a little gremlin that can be fixed by tightening the "crossmember bolts". I don't know which ones, A-arms or other?

I have had this popping noise aswell in my 2008 2500HD 4x4 gaser with 40,000 kms on the clock, the last 4 months. Only happens while braking, on the drivers side, but does not happen all the time. Hard to replicate the noise.....will happen every time I stop for a day then go away for a week or two. Not feeling it in the steering wheel, so do not think it is the intermediate steering shaft....also don't think it is the cross member as it is coming from up front near the suspension.

Sealership said to bring it in when it is doing it again, and when it is dry so the tech can have a look.....like that is going to happen here in Ottawa before the summer.....

Also having problems with the input/ output seals on the transmission....weeping some fluid...again told to bring it in after a few more miles and when it is dry out so the the tech can see the problem.

For what its worth, I finally determined the cause of my front end popping noise. It was not body bushings, it was not the crossmember, it was not tie rods, or ball joints. My mechanic determined my steering rack bushings were worn out and when I cycled my steering, my entire steering rack would move 1/4-1/2 of an inch. For what its worth, my truck is a 2wd. I don't know if the 2wd steering on the 07+ trucks are the same, but I was told I have to replace the entire rack to replace the bushings and fix the noise. Not worth 500 dollars in my opinion...

• 6 months later...

bringing this back up.

I've been having this problem for some time. I did the body mount TSB and still had the noise. Tonight I re torqued the upper control arm bolts and so far it solved the issue.

• 3 years later...

That issue on my 4x4 wound up being the front hub and bearing assembly. Everything checked out fine till I grabbed the CV joint and was able to move it side to side about a 1/16". Easy fix, but a real bear to get the old one off.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you guys with the front end pop checked your front sway bar end links ond sway bar bushings?

Sway bar cantact will make a pop/clunk sound and can be hard to find.

Sent from my crappy iPhone 6

using Tapatalk

I have had this for a few months, replaced sway bar linkage and bushings. While doing so I saw where the passenger upper A arm rear bolt was loose and moving under load. I took new parts vck off, drove it with neither on and had the same problem. Apparently when I had the truck aligned mid April, the dealer didn't tighten that bolt after loosening. Nutz. I just tightened it down and no issue now. Going to dealer Monday morning to make it right.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

^^^^^^

I hope they are ready to replace your tires if they show any irregular wear. If I were you, I would check them over really good. Those genius 'certified tech's' at the dealership should be responsible for cost of tires, mount & balance, and new alignment.

Glad you found the issue.

Yet another example of why to stay away from stealership service departments. Most of those clowns can't even do regular maintenance properly, proven again.

Sent from my crappy iPhone 6

using Tapatalk

Edited by BlackZ71Silverado

• 7 years later...