Fule Milage Mods, Tips, Advice For My 2007 Denal Xl

Hey guys looking to improve the gas milage of my 2007 Denali XL. There's so much hype and products out there. Just wanted to know what you guys did, what proven and works to improve milage.

Buy a Civic?

You're not going to do anything that will improve your mileage by enough to pay back your purchase price within years.

Say you buy an aftermarket intake and it improves your mileage by 1 mpg. How much money is that going to save you? Not much. It'll take a lot of fillups to even break even on the purchase price of $300 (or however much they're going for these days).

The only thing you can do that will actually save you money instantly, is to drive like a grandma. Drive like you have a raw egg taped to the bottom of your right foot. That'll improve your mileage better than anything will. And it's free. You might get shot at on freeway entrances though :cheers:

Hey guys looking to improve the gas milage of my 2007 Denali XL. There's so much hype and products out there. Just wanted to know what you guys did, what proven and works to improve milage.

like wingnut said drive like a grandmother also keep tires at maximum pressure, only do the speed limit, not even a mile an hour faster

you could also use your cruise control as often as possible

Of all things to get fuel mileage in, a Denali XL would not be on my list. I find that my truck gets roughly the same if I drive like an old person or just regularly. Probably slightly less like an old person, don't know why, but that's how it is.

tune, exhaust, intake, under drive pulley and keep you foot out of it.

Yeah...Then he'll have a few problems.

1. His Denali will now sound like a pickup, and not a luxury SUV

2. All the fancy luxuries in there will have a hard time functioning with that UDP slowing down the alternator speed

3. The money spent on those mods will not equal the mileage savings for 10 years or more. They'd have to improve gas mileage by probably 5-8 mpg actually start saving the man money in less than a couple of years.

tune, exhaust, intake, under drive pulley and keep you foot out of it.

Yeah...Then he'll have a few problems.

1. His Denali will now sound like a pickup, and not a luxury SUV

2. All the fancy luxuries in there will have a hard time functioning with that UDP slowing down the alternator speed

3. The money spent on those mods

~there r good quality mufflers that r not loud and have no droan like dynomax

~my ls1 has asp udp and my alt has never been below 14 volts and i have 130,000 miles on orginal alt and udp has been on car for 45,000 miles and same batt for last 5 years.

~ the tune will help just all around and make everything better.

~Yeah it may cost but the extra mpg and extra 30~50hp there if u need it is good to have.

Hell my 500hp ls1 gets 5mpg more the stock ;-) i get around 26~29mpg on hwy

I understand where you're coming from...But all these things cost WAY more than they can save him. I pull down around 27 mpg on the highway in my ~650 hp, 3900 lb. GTO, but I've got 10 grand in the motor. I won't make that money back until I hit around a million miles :dunno:

Of all things to get fuel mileage in, a Denali XL would not be on my list.

Yes, what about asking "How to improve milage on a Toyota Prius Hybrid" :dunno:

Of all things to fuel milage in, a Denali XL would not be on your list, well damn you might as well drive 100mph on the freeway with all the windows down, 5 p.s.i in the tires, never change the oil, and keep the factory spark plugs in there for life, and "load er up with a trunk full of junk" lol :)

Thanks alot for the advice guys, basically keep it stock, well maintained, inflated, and light on the pedal!!

Buy a Civic?

You're not going to do anything that will improve your mileage by enough to pay back your purchase price within years.

Say you buy an aftermarket intake and it improves your mileage by 1 mpg. How much money is that going to save you? Not much. It'll take a lot of fillups to even break even on the purchase price of $300 (or however much they're going for these days).

The only thing you can do that will actually save you money instantly, is to drive like a grandma. Drive like you have a raw egg taped to the bottom of your right foot. That'll improve your mileage better than anything will. And it's free. You might get shot at on freeway entrances though :dunno:

That is so true about the milage payback! This is money-saving advice! Thanks,

Funny thing is, I own a Civic! and it gets 41+ MPG

IMG_0743.jpg

Of all things to get fuel mileage in, a Denali XL would not be on my list.

Yes, what about asking "How to improve milage on a Toyota Prius Hybrid" :dunno:

Of all things to fuel milage in, a Denali XL would not be on your list, well damn you might as well drive 100mph on the freeway with all the windows down, 5 p.s.i in the tires, never change the oil, and keep the factory spark plugs in there for life, and "load er up with a trunk full of junk" lol :)

Thanks alot for the advice guys, basically keep it stock, well maintained, inflated, and light on the pedal!!

Ha!

And don't get us wrong...The things listed in this thread will net you slightly better mileage. The tune probably more so than anything else. BUT...Like I was saying...It's not like it gives you 10 mpg more, so it'll take a long time to recoup the money spent.

Tune will also give it more power and better shifts, which is why most people get a tune...The mileage is a great bonus though.

By the way...If you're going above about 40-50 mph (can't remember what the studies usually say, but it's in this area), it's more efficient to have the AC on and windows up, as the aerodynamic drag caused by the windows being down is more of a detriment to mileage than the AC compressor is. Like most trucks get better mileage with the tailgate UP, due to the low-pressure bubble formed over the bed by the gate being up. Or something like that. I think redvette had the link to the study. Counter-intuitive for sure. But hey...SCIENCE!

Yeah that's basically what it comes down to in the simplest form, science. Some Pilots have claimed 2plus extra knots which is nautical miles per hour, by just waxing thier airplanes. I know it may not be as a big a differnce on a vehicle, i wouldn't doubt it will help and a better reason to keep a clean vehicle. I did also hear that the tailgate down on the freeway will affect MPG, also a tonneau cover helps MPG because it reduces drag. Aerdodynamics. I've seen these guys on gasavers.org with ridiculous underbellypans, side fins on a 87' Doge Dakota, Moon Eyes disc wheel covers. etc. I'm looking for sensible simple solutions, which im' discovering.

If im' gonna spend thousands on intake, exhuast and tune just to improve my milage im obviously wanting my money. If however, I'm doing it for style and power then that would justify the money spent. This is why i love forums.

Archived