99 Suburban 1500 Powertrain Swap Options

I have a 99 Suburban 1500 with a 5.7. The engine is done but I don't want to put in another lame 5.7 (the options for making power in this generation are limited by the intake/injector system and upgrades cost a fortune).

Anyone know what later engine/tranny combinations can fit in a 99 without moving crossmembers or doing other fundamental changes. I know a guy who put a 6.0 into a 2000 Silverado, but I'd like to know if it will fit.

Anyone in the know?

I have a 99 Suburban 1500 with a 5.7. The engine is done but I don't want to put in another lame 5.7 (the options for making power in this generation are limited by the intake/injector system and upgrades cost a fortune).

Anyone know what later engine/tranny combinations can fit in a 99 without moving crossmembers or doing other fundamental changes. I know a guy who put a 6.0 into a 2000 Silverado, but I'd like to know if it will fit.

Anyone in the know?

You might want to look at GM Performance parts 383HT engine. I bolts right up to your existing computer and fuel injection. Emission legal 340 HP and 435 TQ Here is some info.

An emissions-legal small-block that brings on the torque for your 1996-1999 GM truck and SUV!

The HT383E crate engine from GM Performance Parts is an exciting new extension of our "High Torque" line that is especially designed for your 1996-1999 full-sized GM pickup trucks and SUVs. The HT383E is a direct replacement for your high-mileage 5.7L stock engine

The HT383E offers you the same brute strength of our HT383: forged steel crank, 4-bolt main cast iron block, and a camshaft design for towing and hard work. With 383 cubic inches, you also get a broad torque band that peaks at 3600 rpm with horsepower peaking at 4500 rpm.

GM Performance Parts engineers designed the HT383E so that installation is as easy as possible. Simply swap your new HT383E in place of your existing 5.7L engine using your stock intake manifold, wiring harness, and fuel injection system. The stock computer adapts to the new HT383E, and you suddenly have a stump-pulling, big-inch small-block at your disposal.

Engine Specs:

Engine Type: Chevy small-block V-8

Displacement: 383ci

Engine Hp/Tq: 340 Hp @ 4500 rpm / 435 Tq @ 4000 rpm

Bore x Stroke: 4.00" x 3.80"

Block: Cast Iron with 4-bolt main caps

Crankshaft: Forged Steel

Connecting rods: Heavy-Duty PM steel

Pistons: Hypereutectic aluminum

Camshaft type: Hydraulic roller

Camshaft lift: .431" intake / .451" exhaust

Camshaft duration (@.050"): 196 intake / 206 exhaust

Cylinder heads: Vortec iron; 64cc chambers

Valve size: 1.94 intake / 1.50 exhaust

Compression Ratio: 9.1:1

Rocker Arms: Stamped Steel

Rocker Arm ratio: 1.5:1

Water Pump: Cast iron

Recommended fuel: 87 octane

Maximum recommended rpm: 5000

Balanced: External

I've been thinking about the 383E, but you still have the breathing issues, and the choices seem to be the Marine Intake (hard to find, not cheap, and a lot of work required), an aftermarket MPFI solution such as Holley or Edelbrocks's (both in the $4 to $6 thousand range), a super charger (needs the new bigger fuel spyder but it overcomes the breathing issues), or go back to a carb.

If, for example, I can put a 6.0l with tranny in, a used powertrain with ECU will run about $2,000, plus about $2,000 to install it.

I've been thinking about the 383E, but you still have the breathing issues, and the choices seem to be the Marine Intake (hard to find, not cheap, and a lot of work required), an aftermarket MPFI solution such as Holley or Edelbrocks's (both in the $4 to $6 thousand range), a super charger (needs the new bigger fuel spyder but it overcomes the breathing issues), or go back to a carb.

If, for example, I can put a 6.0l with tranny in, a used powertrain with ECU will run about $2,000, plus about $2,000 to install it.

How much power are you looking for?

Sly,

That is always the question. I'd like about 400 hp and a little more torque. Mostly I want a bit of a sleeper, something that can pull out to pass on an uphill grade and have it fly.

Having said thay, the most streetable hp I can get is what I am looking for. I had a 5.3 (03) and 5.7 (06) Savanna, both would bury the Suburban. As I understand the L31, the intake is the limitation and there are not a lot of options. Most other engines have fairly easy power upgrades, just not the L31.

Sly,

That is always the question. I'd like about 400 hp and a little more torque. Mostly I want a bit of a sleeper, something that can pull out to pass on an uphill grade and have it fly.

Having said thay, the most streetable hp I can get is what I am looking for. I had a 5.3 (03) and 5.7 (06) Savanna, both would bury the Suburban. As I understand the L31, the intake is the limitation and there are not a lot of options. Most other engines have fairly easy power upgrades, just not the L31.

I think that 383HT would be a big improvement. Basically 90 more horse and 100 more TQ than stock. It should be a huge improvement. Add a intake kit like a K&N, headers sand exhaust that should net you another 20 horse or so. larger Ratio rockers also help. Going from 1.5 to 1.6 added around 15hp to the stock vortecs. Those mods would put you close to the 360-375hp range. Maybe some different gears would help wake it up too. What rear end are you running? I wish I still had my 96 Silverado. i would definitely look at this option. My father in law is considering this engine for his 99 Denali that will need a new power plant soon.

Archived