Should I Run With/without My Cats

my manifolds are starting to crack. i would like to put on some long tube pace setter headers with a off road y pipe. The headers have the o2 sensor ports so plug them in. the y pipe will repleace the cats. So my question is without the cats will my engine run weird or will i lose power and will the check engine light come on since there is going to be no cats. The local guys take off there cats and say i should too but researching on the internet people say keep them in. lastly i don't feel like pays 1200 bucks for magnaflows highflow cats for my truck.

thanks for listening and i would really like your advice

There's no real advantage to running without cats, other than it's one less thing to fail. They don't sap any significant power...Hell, everything I've taken the cats off of without doing the whole exhaust sounded like ass too, as it changes the exhaust note.

And you really do need a tune for long tube headers, you will throw a code (or several) and it'll run a LOT better with a tune. Not sure if a Diablo tuner will do the needed adjustments though. You'd have to contact Diablo.

i have ran this set-up for a few years on my olld truck. i had a 04 4.8l and had long tube hooker headers and a y pipe. i had no cat, which just made my exhaust little louder, smellier and made it backfire. i didnt mind. i dont know on other years, but mine did not have a 02 sensor on my cat. converter. just had 4 sensors for the manifolds. i toook 2 out, which the headers didnt have a place for, and it ran perfectly fine. only thing was the check engine light came on. depending on what state you are in, i say go for it!

i have ran this set-up for a few years on my olld truck. i had a 04 4.8l and had long tube hooker headers and a y pipe. i had no cat, which just made my exhaust little louder, smellier and made it backfire. i didnt mind. i dont know on other years, but mine did not have a 02 sensor on my cat. converter. just had 4 sensors for the manifolds. i toook 2 out, which the headers didnt have a place for, and it ran perfectly fine. only thing was the check engine light came on. depending on what state you are in, i say go for it!

would you be able to clear it or would it just stay on

if you had a hand-held programmer, i believed it would clear it, but you guys gotta confirm because i am not 100%.

but this set-up would of failed visual inspection due to long-pipes w/ no cat and check engine light that would come on. and of course, wouldn't pass the emission part too. i was just lucky i didnt have to smog it for 5 years.

even with a aftermarket cat. converter (which isnt $1500. more like under $100), im sure you wont be able to pass.

i added a cut-out with that set-up which got me into alot of trouble. it was louder than a loud harley lol

i live in saskatchewan canada and there isn't any smog testing or emission tests (that i know of ) so i am not to worried about emissions just kinda worried about the truck running poorly. i emailed diablo this morning and if they don't replay i will call them in a couple of days.

If you're too cheap to pay for high flow cats (which you can get for a couple hundred bucks), leave the stock ones on. You won't gain significant power but will selfishly release harmful nitrous oxides, carbon monoxide, and hydrocarbons into the environment. Grow up and leave cats on.

if you go with out cats and don`t tune for them being missing you will have a CEL on in no time, affecting overall economy and performance. i ran without mine in my 98, had the rear o2s cancelled out with a tune from westers garage (tilley alberta)

I noticed less bottom end power and increase top end power when i put on LT headers and removed my cats. and it got loud, REAL LOUD! :confused:

If you're too cheap to pay for high flow cats (which you can get for a couple hundred bucks), leave the stock ones on. You won't gain significant power but will selfishly release harmful nitrous oxides, carbon monoxide, and hydrocarbons into the environment. Grow up and leave cats on.

did not know removing cat. converter was kiddish thing to do.. :confused:

anyways, if you go with ANY long tubes, factory y-pipe/cat. converter set-up wont work.

Archived