Silverado Steering Hard, Has A Hiss Sound

Hello. I have a 2001 Silverado, 5.3L z71. The steering is always hard to steer, especialy when parking or sitting still. It makes a hissing sound from the steering wheel through the steering colum. I have replaced the power steering pump, the steering gearbox, and the power steering high pressure hose. Nothing has changes. I have a video denonstrating the sound. I have read other threads about people talking about replacing a pressure valve, but I've replaced both the pump and steering gear. Also, the replacement steering gear looled a little different, but still installed ok. Here is the video: steering hissing sound

It could be the EVO sensor. I had this done on my 04.

Read this TSB:

Document ID# 1848789

Subject: EI06002 - 670 Gear Box Power Steering Pump, P/S Performance Concerns #05-02-32-008A - (07/20/2006)

Models: 2003-2006 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2003-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2003-2006 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL

This bulletin is being revised to close the engineering investigation and provide repair information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-02-32-008 (Section 02 -- Steering).

Condition

Some customers may comment on a lack of steering assist when stopped or during parking lot type maneuvers. A lack of steering assist could occur if the brakes are applied and turning the steering wheel with the vehicle stopped or during parking lot type maneuvers. This condition will go away or greatly improve once vehicle begins to move or is above parking lot speeds. This concern can be aggravated by worn tires, low tire air pressure, low power steering pump pressures, and tires larger than stock size.

Correction

Important: In all cases, it is recommended that the proper tire size and the maximum tire pressure is set according to the manufacturer’s specification as noted on the door placard; especially for the front tires.

Perform the "Power Steering System Test" found in SI. Make any necessary repairs based on system diagnosis.

1.1. FOR 2500 AND 3500 VEHICLES ONLY - If diagnostics did not lead to any repair, this concern is a normal operating characteristic. No further repairs should be made. A Field Product Report should be submitted - refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 02-00-89-002D.

1.2. FOR 1500 SERIES VEHICLES ONLY - If diagnostics did not lead to any repair, this concern is a normal operating characteristic.

If the vehicle is equipped with a 670 gear box, replacing it with a 680 gear box may increase the customer satisfaction.

To determine if the vehicle is equipped with a 670 gear box, inspect the mounting bolts that attach the stub shaft housing. A 670 gear box will only have 3 mounting bolts. If the stub shaft housing does not have any mounting bolts or has 4 bolts - DO NOT PROCEED WITH THIS BULLETIN. The vehicle is not equipped with a 670 gear box.

If replacing a 670 gear box with a 680 gear box, it will be necessary to replace the power steering gear, union fitting and both inlet o-ring seals.

Parts Information

Part Number

Description

Power Steering Gear

Union Fitting

Inlet O-ring Seal

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, choose the one labor operation that reflects the corrective action:

Labor Operation

Description

Labor Time

E9050

Pump Assembly, Power Steering - Replace

Use Published Labor Time

E9740

Gear Assembly, Power Steering - Replace

Use Published Labor Time

Document ID# 1848789

--------------------

• 1 month later...