Brake Pedal Travel Distance?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 02Silver

02Silver

Enthusiast

• 22 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 06:54 AM

How much brake pedal distance from the floorboard is normal on my '02 Silverado 4x4? When I apply the brakes, the pedal travels downward to a point of approximately 2" from the floor before any braking is felt. But it gets really scary when I have to make an emergency stop fast and then it's almost to the floor with no where else to go, (1) is this normal? (2) Is it possible to adjust the pedal itself on the '02? Yes, I have new brake pads/calipers around. My thanks in advance to any legitimate answers.

Edited by 02Silver, 18 September 2010 - 06:55 AM.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

2002 Silverado, 4x4, stock

#2 Eddie 70

Eddie 70

Enthusiast

• 263 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 06:58 AM

Have you checked the fluid levels in the master cylinder? Make sure they are up like they should be. Could also be air in the system.
07 GMC Sierra Extended Cab 5.3 AFM - 275/60/20
70 Corvette Convertible with LS Conversion

#3 fraiolib

fraiolib

Enthusiast

• 533 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 07:48 AM

may also need a new master cylinder
Posted Image

#4 jro909

jro909

Your Own Personal Jesus

• 4,079 posts
  • Drives:04 1500 Silverado

Posted 18 September 2010 - 03:14 PM

i had the pedal travel with lack of braking power until my brake lines at the cylinder got disconnected and moved closer to the driver side truck fender, now it stops on a dime with very little travel...hope that helps
RCLB 5.3, 3.42 gears, Z85/82 Bilstein Hds, General AT2 Grabbers

Man fears what he does not understand- Anton LaVey

Old People Drive Slow To Make The Most Of The Time They Have Left

Member of the Red Truck Club

Proud Vortec Owner

#5 doug_scott

doug_scott

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,415 posts
  • Name:Doug Scott
  • Drives:2010 GMC SL Ext Cab 4.8

Posted 18 September 2010 - 03:37 PM

i had the pedal travel with lack of braking power until my brake lines at the cylinder got disconnected and moved closer to the driver side truck fender, now it stops on a dime with very little travel...hope that helps

I think your issue was resolved by the bleeding of the brakes afterwards. Length of steel line has no relevence in this. To the OP, make sure brakes are properly adjusted, make sure all moving parts are moving like they should be, make sure that parts that are not supposed to move, don't, and try replacing the brake fluid. Do not just start replacing things without properly testing them, and that includes the master cylinder.

#6 02Silver

02Silver

Enthusiast

• 22 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 05:05 AM

I think your issue was resolved by the bleeding of the brakes afterwards. Length of steel line has no relevence in this. To the OP, make sure brakes are properly adjusted, make sure all moving parts are moving like they should be, make sure that parts that are not supposed to move, don't, and try replacing the brake fluid. Do not just start replacing things without properly testing them, and that includes the master cylinder.
[/quote]

The master cylinder is full, so I'll start looking else where. This trucks main duty is pulling a 28' travel trailer and since camping season here in Kansas is all but over, I will devote more time trying to solve this problem. This Silverado is the first one I've had so I have absolutely no knowledge as to how much brake pedal I should have when I apply brakes in the first place. As I said in the beginning I've only got approximately 2" from the floor before I feel any braking occuring, and then it's like saying a prayer if the vehicle will stop in time. The brake pedal does not feel soft, nor does it lose the pressure when the pedal is depressed and held there, so I'm thinking the master cylinder is doing it's job. Of course, this could be some "old school" thinking instead of modern time thinking, since I grew up in the '50-'60 era and a lot of changes have taken effect, BTW, I'm dumb as a rock when it comes to the inner workings of any vehicle.

Again, my thanks, in advance, for any ideas or suggestions given to me to solve this problem.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

2002 Silverado, 4x4, stock

#7 Wires

Wires

Enthusiast

• 699 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:01 AM

Is this a new problem?

My '00 Chevy had brutal brakes. Didn't seem so bad until I started pulling a trailer (then I noticed it more). When it was loaded with a couple of quads, You'd press all the way to the floor and you just flet it wasn't going to stop.

I swapped the master cylinder, bled the brakes, and it didn't seem to help. I know the earlier GMT-800's(at least the 1500's) didn't have the best braking system. My GMT-900 is 1000x better in that department.

Edited by Wires, 19 September 2010 - 08:01 AM.

#8 NickV

NickV

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,253 posts
  • Drives:2009 Sierra SLT 4X4

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:10 AM

regardless, if it hasn't been done replacing the brake fluid isn't a bad idea at that age. The process will also ensure the bleeding is complete. In that truck you have 4 wheel disc, that setup will have way more pedal travel than a disc/ drum setup, but what you are describing seems a little excessive. summary: I would bleed the brakes completely then go from there.

WARNING: Above advice is based on actual experience or just plain common sense. In the event said advise is determined to be incorrect you are entitled to a full refund of exactly what you paid for it.

2009 Sierra SLT CCSB 5.3/A6 Z71 4X4 HID | Weathertech | Truxedo Lo Pro QT | Passport 8500 | Underhood Storage | HP Tuners | Sprayed Bed Liner | Window Tint | CK951 wheels w/ Nitto Terra Grapplers | Painted Tailgate handle | Full 2" Altitude Adjustment
2003 Silverado LS ECSB 4.8/A4 2WD SOLD HID low/fog | Gibson Shorty Headers | Corsa Touring | Passport 8500 | Sprayed Liner | Billet Grille | HP Tuners | Eaton LSD | 3.73 Gear Swap | Esky Handles | Electric Fans | Center Console Swap | MTX Audio | Denali Cluster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users