Brake Pedal Travel Distance?

How much brake pedal distance from the floorboard is normal on my '02 Silverado 4x4? When I apply the brakes, the pedal travels downward to a point of approximately 2" from the floor before any braking is felt. But it gets really scary when I have to make an emergency stop fast and then it's almost to the floor with no where else to go, (1) is this normal? (2) Is it possible to adjust the pedal itself on the '02? Yes, I have new brake pads/calipers around. My thanks in advance to any legitimate answers.

i had the pedal travel with lack of braking power until my brake lines at the cylinder got disconnected and moved closer to the driver side truck fender, now it stops on a dime with very little travel...hope that helps

i had the pedal travel with lack of braking power until my brake lines at the cylinder got disconnected and moved closer to the driver side truck fender, now it stops on a dime with very little travel...hope that helps

I think your issue was resolved by the bleeding of the brakes afterwards. Length of steel line has no relevence in this. To the OP, make sure brakes are properly adjusted, make sure all moving parts are moving like they should be, make sure that parts that are not supposed to move, don't, and try replacing the brake fluid. Do not just start replacing things without properly testing them, and that includes the master cylinder.

I think your issue was resolved by the bleeding of the brakes afterwards. Length of steel line has no relevence in this. To the OP, make sure brakes are properly adjusted, make sure all moving parts are moving like they should be, make sure that parts that are not supposed to move, don't, and try replacing the brake fluid. Do not just start replacing things without properly testing them, and that includes the master cylinder.

The master cylinder is full, so I'll start looking else where. This trucks main duty is pulling a 28' travel trailer and since camping season here in Kansas is all but over, I will devote more time trying to solve this problem. This Silverado is the first one I've had so I have absolutely no knowledge as to how much brake pedal I should have when I apply brakes in the first place. As I said in the beginning I've only got approximately 2" from the floor before I feel any braking occuring, and then it's like saying a prayer if the vehicle will stop in time. The brake pedal does not feel soft, nor does it lose the pressure when the pedal is depressed and held there, so I'm thinking the master cylinder is doing it's job. Of course, this could be some "old school" thinking instead of modern time thinking, since I grew up in the '50-'60 era and a lot of changes have taken effect, BTW, I'm dumb as a rock when it comes to the inner workings of any vehicle.

Again, my thanks, in advance, for any ideas or suggestions given to me to solve this problem.

Is this a new problem?

My '00 Chevy had brutal brakes. Didn't seem so bad until I started pulling a trailer (then I noticed it more). When it was loaded with a couple of quads, You'd press all the way to the floor and you just flet it wasn't going to stop.

I swapped the master cylinder, bled the brakes, and it didn't seem to help. I know the earlier GMT-800's(at least the 1500's) didn't have the best braking system. My GMT-900 is 1000x better in that department.

regardless, if it hasn't been done replacing the brake fluid isn't a bad idea at that age. The process will also ensure the bleeding is complete. In that truck you have 4 wheel disc, that setup will have way more pedal travel than a disc/ drum setup, but what you are describing seems a little excessive. summary: I would bleed the brakes completely then go from there.

Archived