Pf63 Oil Filter?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 jwhjr

jwhjr

Enthusiast

• 251 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:17 AM

I just picked up a 2011 Traverse for my wife yesterday, and in the manual it calls for a PF63 filter. I can't find any information on it (or any cross-reference to other filter brands). The previous filter used on these is the PF48. Anyone have one or changed oil on one that knows the scoop?

#2 MS3DALE

MS3DALE

Don't call me,and I won't call you!

• Senior Moderator
  • 14,932 posts
  • Name:Rich
  • Drives:'07 Silverado Z71 '11 Camaro SS '02 Saturn SC2

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:31 AM

Yep,According to the owners manual it calls for a PF63 - GM part#89017525

sig1alternate.png
'07 SILVERADO Z71 LT2 "VortecMAX" 6-Liter,"Super-Duty" Auto Trans,9 1/2" rear-end w/3.73 G80 Locker,XM,On-Star,BOSE speaker system,Stabilitrak,Block Heater,Sunroof,18" ARE "Cannon" Wheels w/LT275/65R18 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires.
Custom tune by Justin at Black Bear,CORSA "Sport" exhaust system,EXTANG "Full-Tilt" snapless tonneau cover,Rough Country 1.5" front leveling kit,Fabtech 1" rear lift blocks,EZ-Down tailgate damper.
GM accessories...Hood Deflector,Molded Mud-Flaps,Ventvisors,Catch-All Floor-Mats,Bedrail Protectors,BedRug Bedliner & Bedmat,and a GM Performance Parts cold-air intake.

2011 CAMARO 2SS/RS - LS3/M6 - Inferno Orange Met. - HURST short-throw - Roto-Fab CAI - Kook's LTs - CORSA exhaust - Black Bear tuned (playtoy!)
2012 CRUZE 1LT - Blue Topaz Met. - RS pkg.- Convenience pkg. (work car!)

My Garage

#3 elcamino

elcamino

• 1,328 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Drives:2012 GMC Sierra Denali

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:34 AM

Currently only available thru GM parts, no one else can match that number...

Caution - Do not take any chances and try to use a PF48. More and more of these newer engines are very sensitive to what filters are used and using the wrong one can lead to engine damage. If the filter maker does not list a filter for the application, DO NOT USE one from another model or year that you may think fits.

Edited by elcamino, 26 September 2010 - 10:57 AM.

Mike

#4 jwhjr

jwhjr

Enthusiast

• 251 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 01:40 PM

Thanks for the info. I probably won't have to change the oil for the first time for at least a month, so hopefully it will become more widely available by then. Even better will be if there is an Amsoil equivalent by then.

#5 Black02Silverado

Black02Silverado

Independent Amsoil Dealer

• 3,282 posts
  • Drives:2002 Silverado 91 Jetta TD

Posted 26 September 2010 - 02:48 PM

Thanks for the info. I probably won't have to change the oil for the first time for at least a month, so hopefully it will become more widely available by then. Even better will be if there is an Amsoil equivalent by then.

I did a cross reference and there isn't any listed from AMSOIL, Wix or Donaldson to start with. I'm sure in time one will become available, just have to wait until then.

Like elcamino stated above, these newer designs on the engines and the VVT and such is playing a new role in the way the oil system functions. The Acadia is one of them. AMSOIL had a filter out for it but there were issues with it and the Acadia's oil system so they pulled it. If there is no listing by a filter manufacture then they do not make a filter that will work.
Black 02 Silverado Z71, 5.3L Amsoil Fluids Black Bear Tuned with AutoCal
Black 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Economizer 91 Jetta Turbo Diesel

AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants & Filtration Systems, Click Here
Wholesale pricing available!

Posted Image

#6 jwhjr

jwhjr

Enthusiast

• 251 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 06:18 PM

I crawled underneath and took a look at the label on the filter, it says "Replace w/PF48" so I guess I'll use the Wix Filter cross-referenced on the Amsoil site.

From the top:

Posted Image

From underneath:

Posted Image

#7 jwhjr

jwhjr

Enthusiast

• 251 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:10 AM

Mobil1 now has the M1-212 listed for the 2011 Traverse. It's about an inch longer than the previous filter.

#8 lowrider

lowrider

Enthusiast

• 365 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:34 PM

This topic seems to be the talk of the internet:

http://www.bobistheo...;Number=2031982

http://www.traversef...ge;topic=1339.0

Lou

#9 jwhjr

jwhjr

Enthusiast

• 251 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:36 AM

FYI - the dealerships are starting to get them in, I picked up a PF63 yesterday. The only reason the parts guy had even ordered any was because I had asked about them.

#10 motoGPatrick

motoGPatrick

Enthusiast

• 9 posts
  • Name:Patrick
  • Drives:2004 Maserati Coupe GT, Ducati 996, Suzuki DR650

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:30 AM

http://www.rubiconow...hp?f=38&t=58887

A different application but shows the variations in size and quality for a specific application between brands of filters. I have heard a few people who cut delco filters open and were not impressed.. they did not hurl like when they saw a fram opened up but not as good as they expected..

After opening up a OEM purflux filter I took off my car I was amazed at the quality and could see why the guys in Modena chose it. It has the zig zag pleats.

This is from the delorean guys but a good shot of a Purflux.

http://www.dmcnews.c...oil_filters.htm

Posted Image

http://www.purflux.c...u_id=26&lang=EN

The LS718 filter is the cross reference for the PF48 and has more filter area than a PF63 due to the from the herringbone pleats.

Edited by motoGPatrick, 11 January 2012 - 10:32 AM.

#11 Gurrzt

Gurrzt

Enthusiast

• 667 posts
  • Name:gurrzt
  • Drives:2013 Yukon Denali

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:52 AM

The PF63 is just a longer version of the PF48, as long as it is a "AC Delco" filter, it will not void your warrenty, OR IN ANYWAY DAMAGE THE ENGINE.

#12 waltv

waltv

Enthusiast

• 27 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:38 PM

The change is to help get your oil life to match your oil life monitor by adding filter medium. Change your oil at 3-5k, and use the right parts just to keep coverage.

#13 IanF

IanF

Enthusiast

• 162 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:48 AM

I just did my oil change on my Silverado and got a Wix 57045 which is the same as a PF63. About an inch longer than the stock and comes down level with the oil pan. Napa should have the 7045 NAPA or Wix 57045 in stock for that vehicle or be able to get it within a day.

2010 Silverado LS Cheyenne edition, 2WD, 4.8L, Crew Cab, Taupe Grey

LineX'd, HIDs, Extang Solid TriFold, Various LED Mods, Orange Programmable TPMS Sensors, DEPO Black surround headlights

#14 lowrider

lowrider

Enthusiast

• 365 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:13 AM

Look Here:

http://www.gm-trucks...o-pf48-to-pf63/

Lou

#15 thzpcs

thzpcs

Enthusiast

• 19 posts
  • Name:Skyler
  • Drives:2010 Tahoe

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:52 PM

Just go to somewhere like GM Parts and search the number there. Many of the dealers still haven't got the proper filters in...  :nonod:

Here's the subgroup for the Traverse, and then just look under Engine -> Transaxle -> Engine Parts -> Oil Filter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users