Drain Plug For The Oil Pan

pm26

Thanks. Looks like in 2008 GM has deleted the magnet from the oil drain plug for a grand total of savings of 1 cent per plug. :uhoh:

Is the magnetic drain plug still available from GM as a replacement part? My truck has a magnetic plug, but it had a couple of damaged threads from the factory (just the plug, not the oil pan) and I thought about replacing it, but the local dealer only had a non magnetic plug in stock.

Thanks. Looks like in 2008 GM has deleted the magnet from the oil drain plug for a grand total of savings of 1 cent per plug. :)

Is the magnetic drain plug still available from GM as a replacement part? My truck has a magnetic plug, but it had a couple of damaged threads from the factory (just the plug, not the oil pan) and I thought about replacing it, but the local dealer only had a non magnetic plug in stock.

So would not doubt that at all....... I keep waiting to here they have removed the plug and gone to no worry to drain just refill as engine burns oil... :lol:

Jbo

Well, I checked with a Chevy parts guy this morning and what happened is that GM transitioned to non-magnetic drain plugs sometime in 2008. So some 2008 models had them, some didn't. Magnetic drain plugs are no longer available from GM.

This action qualifies GM for the cheapskate of the decade award. :)

Well, I checked with a Chevy parts guy this morning and what happened is that GM transitioned to non-magnetic drain plugs sometime in 2008. So some 2008 models had them, some didn't. Magnetic drain plugs are no longer available from GM.

Don't need magnetic oil pan plugs on aluminum engines :lol:

Don't need magnetic oil pan plugs on aluminum engines :lol:

Even on aluminum blocks, you have steel internal moving parts such as bearings , crankshaft, camshaft, push rods and lifters.

Maybe there is no need to catch the particles from exploding AFM lifters anymore. :D

Archived