Squeal Noise Coming From Under Truck

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 USMC1889

USMC1889

Enthusiast

• 319 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:21 PM

I've had this squealing noise coming from underneath my truck for a few months now. I thought it was coming from the front left wheel area but I'm not sure. I can usually recreate the squeal if I make a right turn with a little speed it will let out a 2-3 second squeal until I finish the turn. I can't recreate with a left turn.

I also get the noise if I drive real slow. If I just let it coast from a stop it will make the noise. But when I do this it isn't a constant squeal. It is just like a squeak, squeak, squeak almost like there's a certain point in the wheel's rotation that the sound is being created from.

Something I noticed this afternoon; If I apply the brakes, even very lightly, the noise will stop. As soon as I let off the brakes the noise comes back though.

I do have a RC 2" level on but I don't think it's the ball joints. I tried shaking the left front tire with it jacked up and couldn't get any movement. Didn't try the right front.

Any ideas where to start looking?

#2 USMC1889

USMC1889

Enthusiast

• 319 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:29 PM

Bump

#3 txab

txab

Your worst fWONking nightmare

• 8,176 posts
  • Drives:2014 GMC Sierra

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:24 PM

Have you looked at the wheel bearing and brakes?

Edited by txab, 28 September 2010 - 11:26 PM.

100_0955-1-1-1.jpg
"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."
-- Benjamin Franklin

bbp.pngsynad.pngAdamslogo3_zpsc74f7e65.png

#4 USMC1889

USMC1889

Enthusiast

• 319 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:23 AM

Have you looked at the wheel bearing and brakes?

I'm not real familiar with the front suspension components so I don't really know where to look. I'm due for service soon so I figured I'd get a few suggestions here and when I'm at the dealer just say "by the way could you inspect the ------" and see what they say.

#5 Gone Again

Gone Again

Enthusiast

• 120 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:00 PM

I've had this squealing noise coming from underneath my truck for a few months now. I thought it was coming from the front left wheel area but I'm not sure. I can usually recreate the squeal if I make a right turn with a little speed it will let out a 2-3 second squeal until I finish the turn. I can't recreate with a left turn.

I also get the noise if I drive real slow. If I just let it coast from a stop it will make the noise. But when I do this it isn't a constant squeal. It is just like a squeak, squeak, squeak almost like there's a certain point in the wheel's rotation that the sound is being created from.

Something I noticed this afternoon; If I apply the brakes, even very lightly, the noise will stop. As soon as I let off the brakes the noise comes back though.

I do have a RC 2" level on but I don't think it's the ball joints. I tried shaking the left front tire with it jacked up and couldn't get any movement. Didn't try the right front.

Any ideas where to start looking?

Check the brake pads. Could be your wear indicators. Also have the u-joints checked.

#6 sjp1311

sjp1311

Enthusiast

• 16 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:06 AM

Check your u joints. Mine did the same thing.

#7 USMC1889

USMC1889

Enthusiast

• 319 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:05 PM

Had it looked at today during routine service along with a window squeal.

The service manager told me that there was a large rust ridge built up on the rotor (I assume brake rotor?) that was grinding during turns and that they scrubbed it off. There is one spot in town I can always recreate the noise and I tested it today and the first time it didn't make the noise; second time it did. :lol:

I have to go back to get a new part for the window squeal in a few days so hopefully the rotor is just working debris or whatever out and I won't have to have them look at it again. Hopefully.......

Edited by USMC1889, 19 October 2010 - 11:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertise Here