06 4.8 Misfire.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 heinalanka

heinalanka

Enthusiast

• 3 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:27 PM

I got a 2006 chevy 4.8L. I get random cyl misfire code. #7 cyl, misfireing the most. steady, but no code for # 7 misfire, we changed the plugs, wires, switched coil and injector with another cyl. replace intake gasket, and still # 7 misfire, checked wiring for the circuit coil. no brakes in the wiring, checked the ground splice and all ok. checked compression, good 145 across the board. removed valve cover and checked for bent push rod or any other mechanical failer. performed a injestor balance test and all injectors passed, what am I missing??

#2 M. Cueva

M. Cueva

M. Cueva

• Tech Wiki Editor
  • 9,010 posts
  • Drives:2006 Chevrolet Silverado

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:37 AM

I got a 2006 chevy 4.8L. I get random cyl misfire code. #7 cyl, misfireing the most. steady, but no code for # 7 misfire, we changed the plugs, wires, switched coil and injector with another cyl. replace intake gasket, and still # 7 misfire, checked wiring for the circuit coil. no brakes in the wiring, checked the ground splice and all ok. checked compression, good 145 across the board. removed valve cover and checked for bent push rod or any other mechanical failer. performed a injestor balance test and all injectors passed, what am I missing??

Three Basic reasons for a misfire:
1: loss of spark
2: the air/fuel mixture is too far out of balance to ignite
3: loss of compression

looks like you have checked for almost everything. Look at the EGR valve, check your fuel pressure (fuel pump sometimes will not up to par). Aside from what you have already done, I am not sure that there is anything you may have missed. By the way, what is the error code that you are getting???

Slade_zpsfd1fdb0c.jpg

My Truck:
2006 Silverado Crew Cab with the 4.8 Vortec
See my website for Customizations/Upgrades: Silverado Upgrades/Changes
"Based on Intel's dramatic sales warning Wednesday, you might expect rival Advanced Micro Devices to just crawl into a hole and die."

#3 441G

441G

Enthusiast

• 109 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:16 AM

also check #8 it fires just before #7 - look over your valve train and make sure you cat is not getting pluged up.

#4 sic lsx

sic lsx

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,357 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:20 AM

1st thing i do is swap the coil with another and see if it changes cylinder! easy to do. done it many times at the shop to help diagnose where its from

Edited by sic lsx, 06 October 2010 - 09:21 AM.

imagephpl.jpg
1999 m6 T-top Z28 camaro low 11 sec all motor 136,000 mile DD
2010 Z71 4x4 LT Silverado, 5.3 flex fuel, towing package, Z71 appearance package, N-fab step bars, billet bowtie, truxedo lowpro bed cover, air raid jr intake, diablo intune, factory spray in bed liner, 2" RC level kit, 305/50/20 Toyo AT II's Fuel maverick 20x9 0 offset

One hauls and one hauls ass!

#5 Kirkathon25

Kirkathon25

Enthusiast

• 163 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:24 AM

dude i dont know what it is but if you figure it out you need to post the results cuz theres tons of us with similar problems
2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD SLE 6.0L with K&N Cold Air Intake, towing mirrors, LED Clearance lights. "You aren't lost if you dont care where you are"
Pewter Metallic Truck Club Member #5
Posted Image

#6 redsled2007

redsled2007

Enthusiast

• 263 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:51 AM

Heard something the other day on a truck program when they were doing a tune for mis-firings. They said to do a antifreeze coolant "volt" check. They claimed that old antifreeze creates electrolysis and will throw P300 codes and random misfires. Volt check consists of using a volt meter black wire on ground and red wire dipped into the antifreeze. I don't remember what the bad voltage was, but I think it was over .5 volts.

Edited by redsled2007, 06 October 2010 - 10:53 AM.

#7 heinalanka

heinalanka

Enthusiast

• 3 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:17 PM

Well found the problem. it was a broken valve spring , don't know how I missed it the first time, anyway problem fixed. runs like a top now.

#8 Kirkathon25

Kirkathon25

Enthusiast

• 163 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:07 PM

how do you perform an injector balance test?
2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD SLE 6.0L with K&N Cold Air Intake, towing mirrors, LED Clearance lights. "You aren't lost if you dont care where you are"
Pewter Metallic Truck Club Member #5
Posted Image

#9 heinalanka

heinalanka

Enthusiast

• 3 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:47 PM

YOU CAN DO A INJECTOR BALANCE TEST WITH A SCAN TOOL. I HAVE A NEW SNAP ON SOLIS WORKS GREAT.

#10 441G

441G

Enthusiast

• 109 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:54 PM

Well found the problem. it was a broken valve spring , don't know how I missed it the first time, anyway problem fixed. runs like a top now.

check your pushrod too - the truck we had that had a broken spring had a bent one.

#11 maddog820

maddog820

Enthusiast

• 1 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

FWIW I just had a broken valve spring on my 04 Silverado 4.8l. Had a P0300 code. Changed the plugs, all looked good except #8 was black/sooty. Tried a different fuel injector in 8 but no help. Finally threw in the towell and took it to a shop and they confirmed good fuel, spark and compression. They pulled the valve cover and sure enough a valve spring was broken.

I'm 54 years old, I thought broken valve springs were ancient history.

Thanks for the Forum

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users