What Should The Criminal Charges Be?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 bb123

bb123

Enthusiast

• 143 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 05:28 PM

OK, so everyone has heard by now about the case that is going on with the boy who killed himself due to the bullying.

Now, be rational, give your reasons, be fair, but be reasonable.

what shoudl the criminals be charged with?

OK, so the story goes like this.

You had the first semester at college and the kids are away from home. Well, they had 3 roomates to a dormroom. well, one of the kids was a closet gay dude and wished to keep his lies in private. His parents, family, friends, classmates, peers, etc knew nothing.

Well, the roomates come in and decide to screw his life over. They put up video cameras around the gay kids room and watched. They recorded episodes of a sexual gay encounter he had and then decided it would be in the gay persons best interest to plaster all of his private nudity and sex all over the public.

They took disks and handed them out, they put the videos on his facebook as they stole his password and ID, they also from what i understand put it on his professors study website for all of the faculty, students, etc to view.

Well, now you have a kid that is young and can't take it as he was already going through issues hiding it. He goes forth and decides to take his life.

Now, how to charge these young boys and one female for commiting these acts against the gay kid is the question.

The biggest issue is what they are trying to charge the 3 subjects with. Many say charge them with a hate crime bc they did it with malicious intent to detroy this kid bc he was gay. others say no hate crime it's just kids being kids and that's just the nature of kid behavior.

Another side states, well, " hey, youthful or not, they are 18 and older, you are an adult and you invaded the privacy of another with intent to do serious harm. If someone were to take video of your spouse and yourself having sex or you masterbating and post it to your work network, see how you'd feel."

So what do you think these kids (well, adults as they are techincally over 18) should be charged with and why? Is this considered a hate crime to you and why?
Posted Image

#2 focijoe

focijoe

Enthusiast

• 476 posts
  • Name:Joe
  • Drives:09 2500HD

Posted 10 October 2010 - 05:35 PM

If they filmed him only because they knew he was gay and only for the purpose of outing him then I could see them being charged with a hate crime. Now if they were going to post this crap online no matter if he was with a girl or a guy then I don't think a hate crime charge fits. I'm not really following the story. Did they do it just because he was gay?
Posted Image
2009 Silverado 2500HD ~ 6.0 ~ 3.73's
Prodigy Primus IQ Brake Controller
Reese 15k Pro-Series Fifth Wheel Hitch
Rhino Linings Tuff-Grip Spray In Bedline
r
Towing Questions? >> http://www.gm-trucks...howtopic=124008 <<

#3 Zembonez

Zembonez

10 YEAR GMT MEMBER

• Truck of the Year
  • 18,080 posts
  • Name:Jim
  • Drives:GMC Sierra

Posted 10 October 2010 - 05:40 PM

I do not believe ANYTHING is a hate crime. That is pure modern day symbolism bullshit. An act is either criminal act or it's not. Adding extra penalties to a crime because of who it is against is discrimination pure and simple. Enforce the law on the books.

The outcome of this will depend entirely on the statutes in the state it happened in. What they did was despicable but more of a lack of morals than an outright crime. The guy should have sued them (and probably would have won).

Suicide is idiotic. I never have any sympathy for someone who chooses to not fight and takes the easy way out. Sorry.

a3-15-20124-07-34PM_0043acopy_zpsd6a10ce

FOUNDER of the RED TRUCK CLUB .

#4 Stevens14

Stevens14

Senior Enthusiast

• 8,227 posts
  • Drives:2014 Silverado Z71 Double Cab 5.3L

Posted 10 October 2010 - 05:43 PM

This story has been all over the news, Personally its nothing short of a hate crime.. and both should be charged for involuntary manslaughter. If they would have posted his most private moments on the web and everywhere else, the kid would still be alive... Period.

Doing all they did, taking it as far as they did, how could it be anything else besides a hate crime.

Edited by Stevens07, 10 October 2010 - 05:44 PM.

336f9a49-39ea-421d-a456-ae7752cdf8e1_zps

Deep Ruby Metallic
2014 Silverado Z71 Double Cab

#5 Matt_

Matt_

Senior Enthusiast

• 5,108 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 05:44 PM

its a tough call.

on one hand, what they did was wrong, but i dont think it was a hate crime. They probably just thought it was a funny practical joke (reference funny movies with similar events) and didn't realize it would turn out this way.

from everything i've read and heard about it (it's right around the corner from me and i went to RU, so there's been A LOT of buzz) this kid never showed any signs of instability. It sucks but it takes a special person to actually commit suicide. It also seems as though the media is trying to make the "criminals" into these horrible hatred filled villains... i don't think thats the case.

What should the be charged with? Whatever anyone would be charged with for posting private stuff like that on the internet.

Should they be charged for murder like some people say? IMO, no, not at all. Im wondering what their statements are going to be when all the litigation is over with though.... i wonder if they're suffering with knowing they led someone to suicide with a prank and how they're dealing with that.

PS: It sounds like this story is also gaining a lot of fictional aspects, probably people trying to make it sound even worse. It was just a web cam with a link posted on facebook. No CDs were made and given out (there wasn't time... this was a news story the next day after it happened) and no professors websites or anything.
When Hell Freezes Over, I'll Ski There Too!!
Sig550x200_zpsfce041b6.jpg
2007 Jeep Commander 5.7L Hemi: Pics Here
2008 GMC Sierra Denali AWD (SOLD):Pics Here
2005 1500 Crew Cab. 8" lift w/37s (SOLD): Pics Here

#6 Matt_

Matt_

Senior Enthusiast

• 5,108 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 05:47 PM

Suicide is idiotic. I never have any sympathy for someone who chooses to not fight and takes the easy way out. Sorry.

Exactly.

#7 Zembonez

Zembonez

10 YEAR GMT MEMBER

• Truck of the Year
  • 18,080 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 05:48 PM

This story has been all over the news, Personally its nothing short of a hate crime.. and both should be charged for involuntary manslaughter. If they would have posted his most private moments on the web and everywhere else, the kid would still be alive... Period.

Doing all they did, taking it as far as they did, how could it be anything else besides a hate crime.

So if this guy had not been gay it would be less of a crime? WTF?

I have nothing in the world against anybody being gay, straight, or whatever they wanna be, but a crime against another human should be the same no matter who they are. This HATE CRIME garbage is a joke. They should not (and probably won't be) charges with manslaughter charges. Nobody forced the idiot to take the chicken way out.

I'm sure they will be charged with something vague... like violating his civil rights, invasion of privacy, etc.

And they probably should be.

#8 GPSilverado

GPSilverado

Enthusiast

• 374 posts
  • Name:Glen
  • Drives:2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Ext Cab

Posted 10 October 2010 - 05:49 PM

OK, so everyone has heard by now about the case that is going on with the boy who killed himself due to the bullying.

Now, be rational, give your reasons, be fair, but be reasonable.

what shoudl the criminals be charged with?

OK, so the story goes like this.

You had the first semester at college and the kids are away from home. Well, they had 3 roomates to a dormroom. well, one of the kids was a closet gay dude and wished to keep his lies in private. His parents, family, friends, classmates, peers, etc knew nothing.

Well, the roomates come in and decide to screw his life over. They put up video cameras around the gay kids room and watched. They recorded episodes of a sexual gay encounter he had and then decided it would be in the gay persons best interest to plaster all of his private nudity and sex all over the public.

They took disks and handed them out, they put the videos on his facebook as they stole his password and ID, they also from what i understand put it on his professors study website for all of the faculty, students, etc to view.

Well, now you have a kid that is young and can't take it as he was already going through issues hiding it. He goes forth and decides to take his life.

Now, how to charge these young boys and one female for commiting these acts against the gay kid is the question.

The biggest issue is what they are trying to charge the 3 subjects with. Many say charge them with a hate crime bc they did it with malicious intent to detroy this kid bc he was gay. others say no hate crime it's just kids being kids and that's just the nature of kid behavior.

Another side states, well, " hey, youthful or not, they are 18 and older, you are an adult and you invaded the privacy of another with intent to do serious harm. If someone were to take video of your spouse and yourself having sex or you masterbating and post it to your work network, see how you'd feel."

So what do you think these kids (well, adults as they are techincally over 18) should be charged with and why? Is this considered a hate crime to you and why?

I'm glad we have professional people to deal with this type stuff. My own opinion on homosexuality tells me that if they found out through normal means, and made fun of him, or told everyone about it, then that is no crime. The way this supposedly happened means that this person was done very wrong. I am not saying that I believe people should try and harm other people or intentionally embarrass or make fun of others, but if it happens it isn't a crime. While I think taking your own life is your decision and can not be forced on you by anyone, I also feel like what these people did is very wrong. I have no idea what they could be charged with, but I think they should probably see jail time for 2-5 years, with probabtion after that. On top of that, their school carrer at this institution should be ended.

Is it a hate crime?? I have no idea. I really don't understand how any intentional crime against another human could be anything but a hate crime. Does that make it any worse than any other crime? Not in my book. I think the whole idea of hate crimes is rediculous. The poor rob from the rich, is it a hate crime? If someone tries stealing from me, I will probably end their life if I catch them doing it, because I hate a thief, but does that make me guilty of a hate crime?
GPSilverado
Posted Image
2009 Chevy Silverado 1LT ECRB 1500 2WD w/5.3 (LMG), GMPP CAI, Magnaflow Cat Back (single), 93 Octane Black Bear Performance Tune, 4l60e, 4.10 Rear, G80 Locking Differential. Fold-a-Cover Bed Cover, Spray-in Liner

#9 bb123

bb123

Enthusiast

• 143 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 05:53 PM

If they filmed him only because they knew he was gay and only for the purpose of outing him then I could see them being charged with a hate crime. Now if they were going to post this crap online no matter if he was with a girl or a guy then I don't think a hate crime charge fits. I'm not really following the story. Did they do it just because he was gay?

They did it bc he denied he was gay and they went to prove to everyone that he was..
Posted Image

#10 GPSilverado

GPSilverado

Enthusiast

• 374 posts
  • Name:Glen
  • Drives:2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Ext Cab

Posted 10 October 2010 - 05:54 PM

I do not believe ANYTHING is a hate crime. That is pure modern day symbolism bullshit. An act is either criminal act or it's not. Adding extra penalties to a crime because of who it is against is discrimination pure and simple. Enforce the law on the books.

The outcome of this will depend entirely on the statutes in the state it happened in. What they did was despicable but more of a lack of morals than an outright crime. The guy should have sued them (and probably would have won).

Exactly. But what they did is probably a crime. If they found his username and password to facebook and used it, then that is a crime. Computer hacking is computer hacking, whether to post stuff on his facebook page or to steal credit card info makes no difference in my opinion.
GPSilverado
Posted Image
2009 Chevy Silverado 1LT ECRB 1500 2WD w/5.3 (LMG), GMPP CAI, Magnaflow Cat Back (single), 93 Octane Black Bear Performance Tune, 4l60e, 4.10 Rear, G80 Locking Differential. Fold-a-Cover Bed Cover, Spray-in Liner

#11 focijoe

focijoe

Enthusiast

• 476 posts
  • Name:Joe
  • Drives:09 2500HD

Posted 10 October 2010 - 05:54 PM

So if this guy had not been gay it would be less of a crime? WTF?

I have nothing in the world against anybody being gay, straight, or whatever they wanna be, but a crime against another human should be the same no matter who they are. This HATE CRIME garbage is a joke. They should not (and probably won't be) charges with manslaughter charges. Nobody forced the idiot to take the chicken way out.

I'm sure they will be charged with something vague... like violating his civil rights, invasion of privacy, etc.

And they probably should be.

I have to agree with you. What people do in the bedroom is none of my business and I don't judge people based on their race or sexual preferences. I don't think the law should either. I thought justice was blind.
Posted Image
2009 Silverado 2500HD ~ 6.0 ~ 3.73's
Prodigy Primus IQ Brake Controller
Reese 15k Pro-Series Fifth Wheel Hitch
Rhino Linings Tuff-Grip Spray In Bedline
r
Towing Questions? >> http://www.gm-trucks...howtopic=124008 <<

#12 Matt_

Matt_

Senior Enthusiast

• 5,108 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 05:58 PM

Jim.... you make a damn good point. I never thought about it like that... are "hate crime" penalties more strict or something?

Like, if you shoot someone because of their race... it's a hate crime, ok. But if you shoot someone just for the hell of it, then it's not a hate crime, so are the penalties different?

Screw this "hate crime" stuff. They committed the crime of posting private/sensitive information of someone online without consent, that's the crime.

Involuntary manslaughter charges? NO WAY IN HELL. That's what you charge someone with who is driving recklessly and causes an accident that kills innocent people. Now if someone driving recklessly causes an accident and totals the other drivers car, but the other driver was so in love with his car that he commits suicide a few days later, should he be charged with involuntary manslaughter? :seeya:

#13 allgmc

allgmc

Enthusiast

• 33 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 05:59 PM

Agreed hatecrime is BS, you either violate or not if your parents raised you right you know the difference. I beleive that some people just can't defend themselves and need protection. I dont think suicide is the first reaction but built
over time thus making it not an easy way out. The people that violated him deserve the maximum punishment allowed.

#14 Zembonez

Zembonez

10 YEAR GMT MEMBER

• Truck of the Year
  • 18,080 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 06:01 PM

I am in no way defending the jerks who did this to this kid. I'm just saying that penalties should be the same no matter if you are gay, black, white, straight etc.

I don't think it's my place to pass judgment on anybody's sexual preferences... and I'd like for it to stay that way.

Edited by Zembonez, 10 October 2010 - 06:04 PM.

#15 bb123

bb123

Enthusiast

• 143 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 06:06 PM

Interesting posts. I agree he shouldn't have ended his life but then again, I can imagine being gay and at the age where kids all want to fit in, stressed him out beyond his ability to handle it.

Granted, he should have fought through it but let's say the guy was just screwing around and then later realized he didn't want to be gay and it wasnt for him. Every job you applied for you'd probably get someone who'd bring it up or would be able to obtain a copy online somewhere.

Maybe the thought of everyone for yrs to come from family, frineds, to peers at work seeing you doing your thing that most don't partake was too much for him to handle.

I can't imagine people at my job watching me on the net and looking at me and keeping it strictly business when face to face or behind my back making for a difficult workplace.

As for the other guy, other students/facebook people spread it. The 3 started the initial ignition of the whole thing.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users