How Bout This Cummins Conversion

As for the comment about Detroits being Chrysler junk I hope you are talking about the newest stuff. Do you know who owned DDA when the series 60 was designed and introduced for sale?

actually they r better now then when gm owned them, gm tanked with detroit really crappy thats y they sold to penske, then quality control came back. as far as 60 series they are underpowered boat anchors, if u want a detroit diesel go for a dd-15. cat and cummins own the market, on another note i had heard a rumor about cat not making highway engines in the near future, n e one shine some light on this?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like that truck, stacks and all! I like any brand of diesel truck with stacks. To each his own, I guess.

I felt sorry for the Ford world, though, when I saw a Ranger with stacks. Gas, of course. Looked worse than all these trucks with bull balls.

Larry

The last year CAT had a Over the road engine was 2008. They new the new emissions laws the US Gov forced on everybody were stupid, so they just make motors for construction etc...In 2011 there will be a CAT Over the road Truck and it will have a Cummins engine Branded as a CAT, in order to try and fool some people.

I have a 3406E in my truck, 475hp and it pulls 140,000 lbs just fine.

The last year CAT had a Over the road engine was 2008. They new the new emissions laws the US Gov forced on everybody were stupid, so they just make motors for construction etc...In 2011 there will be a CAT Over the road Truck and it will have a Cummins engine Branded as a CAT, in order to try and fool some people.

i bet, we had a 3406 with 1.5 million, swapped in a c-15 with 20,000 miles al sorts of power. ya it was awhile ago i heard this so its true then thats just to bad, good ENGINES. so what cummins engines are they going to be using?

Man I am GM man though and though but....The POS dodge trucks I have been in with the old 12 valves worked over are flat amazing torque machines. I hvae 2 CaseIH tractors with a 8.3 and a 5.9 (both turned up) and they work so nice and smooth. Lotsa hrs and keep going troble free. A aquaitince on a ranch I know has a 12 valve 89 that has a honest 550000 miles on it hauling water to cattle in the mountains offroad. Truck shot beyond belief but every morning 9 months a year hit the key and away they go. Cool swap since the 90s Chevs only offered the low performance 6.5td. Remember Dodge had nothing to do with the engine design just were smart enough to know all they had for power was boat ancors! ;-) But Your neighbor here should bought a tractor!

i bet, we had a 3406 with 1.5 million, swapped in a c-15 with 20,000 miles al sorts of power. ya it was awhile ago i heard this so its true then thats just to bad, good ENGINES. so what cummins engines are they going to be using?

after some quick research they are going to be using navistar engines with thcat electronics not cummins.

before someone corrects me I will do it myself. I left the newspaper at work and got Cummins mixed up with International. Here is the info on the 2011 CAT.

From "Equipment world" http://www.equipmentworld.com/machine-matters-4/

Caterpillar, which had served the truck power sector with the enhanced EGR technology it labels ACERT, is developing its new truck with Navistar and is expected to initially use 11- and 13-liter Cat-branded CT Series engines similar to the EGR MaxxForce engines, currently topping out at 13 liters. (A 15-liter MaxxForce is reportedly being developed based on Caterpillar’s established C15 engine platform; Caterpillar has since announced plans for the 2012 offering in its new trucks of a new CT15 engine model at a maximum 550 horsepower.) However, Caterpillar chief executive officer Don Oberhelman has stated publicly his company’s new truck featuring a Cat CX31 torque converter style automatic transmission is not a Navistar simply re-branded, calling it “beefy” and “Caterpillar-like.”

here is a pic http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showth...N-HIGHWAY-truck

I can almost hear the banjo's playin from here! :rolleyes:

hahahahah

i personally dont think the cummins is better then the d-max. i cant stand when people do this. how could anyone disgrace this GM truck and put a rickety chrysler product in it? its like when people put 350's in their drag mustangs. pisses me off. IMO

cummins never has and never will be a chrysler product.. Chrysler and detroit diesel are owed by diamler chrysler, and if it wasnt for cummins selling so many trucks for dodge, they'd have a crappy benz engine in the ram's.

the reason that the 6.7 and the 5.9 are better than the powerstroke or duramax is that the peak torque is at a much lower RPM due to it being a I-6 engine..

The 12 valve engine can make some good power by just advancing the pump to engine timing..

What happened here is that cat never had an emissions engine when we(cummins) had engines using the cooled EGR systems. they payed the per engine fine until the new tier of emissions requirments jacked the fine up 10 fold..

Now, cat sued navistar(international) because they basicly stole their 'huey" fuel system.. part of the settlement was to use a C-15 long block, put navistar fuel, exhaust, and electronic systems on it, and install it in their truck and call it the maxx force.. They are now using up international's emissions credits..

Now, international is not using a selective catalyst reduction system like cummins is.. They are recycling 60% of the exhaust back into the engine insted of using the urea SCR system.. Cummins reintroduces a max of 15% exhaust back intoo the engine, and the engineers tell me anything over about 25% is murder to the engine..

So, the cat/navistar experiment will not last very long..

What happened here is that cat never had an emissions engine when we(cummins) had engines using the cooled EGR systems. they payed the per engine fine until the new tier of emissions requirments jacked the fine up 10 fold..

Now, cat sued navistar(international) because they basicly stole their 'huey" fuel system.. part of the settlement was to use a C-15 long block, put navistar fuel, exhaust, and electronic systems on it, and install it in their truck and call it the maxx force.. They are now using up international's emissions credits..

Now, international is not using a selective catalyst reduction system like cummins is.. They are recycling 60% of the exhaust back into the engine insted of using the urea SCR system.. Cummins reintroduces a max of 15% exhaust back intoo the engine, and the engineers tell me anything over about 25% is murder to the engine..

seems like a 60 percent reintroduction of exhaust gases into the engine would raise engine temperatures. incredibly. a more massive than usual oil cooler or engine cooler would just add more cost.

seems like that would just bake the oil.

Larry

seems like a 60 percent reintroduction of exhaust gases into the engine would raise engine temperatures. incredibly. a more massive than usual oil cooler or engine cooler would just add more cost.

seems like that would just bake the oil.

Larry

The EGR cooler will cool the exhaust air to a safe level,, but that exhaust gas is not filtered.. Soot is abrasive, and stops up, cakes up, and nasties up everything it comes into contact with.. So between added abrasives into the engine and it's lube system,, and more items on a heavy duty engine to fail,, all we can say is "thanks EPA"..

But, the 2010 engines with the SCR system added onto it along with the diesel particulate filter cleans the air so well, you can breathe it.. At a training class, they started two engines in the enclosed cell, and ran it with us in there.. Only minor ticks and occasional blackouts since then! lol

Archived