How Bout This Cummins Conversion

I used to work for a Peterbilt/GMC truck dealership and I will say give me a cummins any day. The only big beef I have with the durmax is the fact they they are so hard to work around, in the Kodiak/Topkick you would have to remove the whole front clip just to get into doing engine work. The ACERT Cat's wern't too bad, altough truth be told I was never crazy about the twin turbos. Not because it didnt work, but it put more junk in the way. Interesting to see that Cat is going wtih an international based emmision system. That ard head was such a peice of crap. I mean whoever decided to put a spark plug in a diesel exhaust stream must have been some kind of genius. Think about it what causes spark plug failure? Carbon and soot deposits...whats diesel exhaust filled with...?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read Peterson's, and you actually see a lot of Cummins converted Broncos and such... All I can say is they must have a good reason to do it, and I doubt that reason is because Cummins aren't good. Good buddy of mine has a late 90's Dodge. 434 hp 1400 rwtq... INSANE

• 3 weeks later...

I read Peterson's, and you actually see a lot of Cummins converted Broncos and such... All I can say is they must have a good reason to do it, and I doubt that reason is because Cummins aren't good. Good buddy of mine has a late 90's Dodge. 434 hp 1400 rwtq... INSANE

I had a cummins before this gmc... really liked it. The biggest draw for me was the low end torque, and economy. Biggest advantage over my new truck, is the ability to add 100 hp for 400 bucks. and GAIN fuel economy.

i averaged over 20mpg with that truck with 35" tires. As well, in town i managed 16-17 mpg. My new gm got 18 in town when i first got it, but when i put on 285's, that dropped to 11. And highway I struggle for 17.

Im dissapointed in the complete dog this truck is with a little bigger tire. Wont hold 80 mph in 4th. Kicks down to 3rd and stays in 3rd.

passing power is fine, drops into 2nd and goes like nuts but wow. I spent 1000 bucks on relatively aggressive tires so I would have traction during winter, and hunting season, and the truck cant turn em.

Too bad GM wants so much for a 5.3

I'd be tempted to buy another cummins if i didn't owe twice what my trucks worth lol.

Cummins are great engines. I sold my dodge because i was working making 11 dollars an hour as an apprentice diesel tech (vs the 20 an hour I made installing cabinets) and It did need some repairs. (front end worn out, expensive oil changes)

Yeah the front ends on those dodges love to wear out. But I guess what doesn't lol. My buddy with 434 hp gets around 20, he has a compound setup he bought to put on, but decided not to and turned it down some to save fuel.

I don't regret getting my 5.3 though, it's a great truck, and it runs pretty good.

What gears are you running with those tires? A friend just sold his truck that did the same thing you're describing. It hunted and hunted on the interstate, just from going up hills, and sometimes even the wind.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah the front ends on those dodges love to wear out. But I guess what doesn't lol. My buddy with 434 hp gets around 20, he has a compound setup he bought to put on, but decided not to and turned it down some to save fuel.

I don't regret getting my 5.3 though, it's a great truck, and it runs pretty good.

What gears are you running with those tires? A friend just sold his truck that did the same thing you're describing. It hunted and hunted on the interstate, just from going up hills, and sometimes even the wind.

3.42's

only gears offered were 3.42 and 3.08...

in otherwords i needs 4.10's but i have 10,000 miles on it. Not kissing my warantee goodbye just yet.

Archived