Gm 6.0 Liter Gas Engine Durability, Power, Longevity

Alright, I want to hear from the community here what they have been able to do with this engine, i.e.; how many miles it has been run (properly maintained of course), how much consistent weight has been towed, how strong it has proven itself under tough conditions (for example rough dirt and rock eating farm miles).

I recently bought a 1999 Silverado 2500 4x4 LS, Extended Cab, Short Box with the 6.0. Now, I would have loved to have bought a Duramax, however, at this point in my life I can't afford one. I paid $9500 for my 6.0 with less than 75,000 original miles in excellent condition. It was a deal I couldn't pass up. I have the mindset of taking care of a vehicle and driving it into the ground, especially with pick-ups. On the family orchard we buy trucks new and drive them till they won't go anymore. For example, 1989 Chevrolet Silverado 3/4 ton, Reg Cab, Long bed, 4x4 with the 5.7. Truck was bought new and we sold it at auction 15 years and 450,000 miles (thats hard dirt and rock eating miles) later.

I do plan on towing anywhere up to about the 8,000lbs range on occasion. Now I know the 6.0 isn't the absolute greatest motor for towing, so I don't want to hear how superior the Duramax or the 8.1 might be; thats not what this thread is about. I only want to hear about the 6.0 and its capabilities. So far I am impressed with the power and torque (although I haven't towed yet with it) versus the 2004 1500 that it replaced (wife rolled it, totaled it).

As always, real world experience is appreciated, thanks.

Alright, I want to hear from the community here what they have been able to do with this engine, i.e.; how many miles it has been run (properly maintained of course), how much consistent weight has been towed, how strong it has proven itself under tough conditions (for example rough dirt and rock eating farm miles).

I recently bought a 1999 Silverado 2500 4x4 LS, Extended Cab, Short Box with the 6.0. Now, I would have loved to have bought a Duramax, however, at this point in my life I can't afford one. I paid $9500 for my 6.0 with less than 75,000 original miles in excellent condition. It was a deal I couldn't pass up. I have the mindset of taking care of a vehicle and driving it into the ground, especially with pick-ups. On the family orchard we buy trucks new and drive them till they won't go anymore. For example, 1989 Chevrolet Silverado 3/4 ton, Reg Cab, Long bed, 4x4 with the 5.7. Truck was bought new and we sold it at auction 15 years and 450,000 miles (thats hard dirt and rock eating miles) later.

I do plan on towing anywhere up to about the 8,000lbs range on occasion. Now I know the 6.0 isn't the absolute greatest motor for towing, so I don't want to hear how superior the Duramax or the 8.1 might be; thats not what this thread is about. I only want to hear about the 6.0 and its capabilities. So far I am impressed with the power and torque (although I haven't towed yet with it) versus the 2004 1500 that it replaced (wife rolled it, totaled it).

As always, real world experience is appreciated, thanks.

well i myself own a truck with 6.o/4l80e its almost ready to click over 100k kms. i consider it the best new-ish generation motor on the market, thats why GM still keeps it around. the company i work for has a fleet of about 35 or 40 3/4 ton gasser's, mostly all chevys with 6 litre. they are work trucks keep in mind, people BAG drive them on a daily basis. half of them are mine driven, some are old some are new. some of the older ones have over 300k kms on the ticker and they are still going strong. our shop guy just does brakes, plugs, wires, shocks and tires. and they just keep goin. i think the oldest one is an 04 ECLB with like 350 000+ kms on it. 6 litre is a wicked motor man.

Just traded in my '04 K2500HD reg' cab, long box that I ordered new. 203,000 klicks on it w/ no motor issues. Oil changed as per Oil Life System. I used Pennzoil syntheic 5W30 & Wix 51522 filter.

Daily driven in winter it usually had my snowmobile in the back. In the fall I was hauling 6 or so full loads of firewood. I only started hauling a 21' travel trailer last spring.

Great engine. A friend has a '99 that he bought new, it has 165,000 on it now with no issues, and he has a 10' slide in camper that weighs 4000 pounds.

It will suck the gas doing things like this, but it's still a great engine.

I drive a '03 2500HD EC LB for Union Pacific Railroad. The truck weighs 9500 pounds everyday with all the high rail gear and tool boxes etc. Today the ODO hit 213K i've put the last 54K on it and supposedly been the only guy that has really taken proper care of the truck. I live and work up in the Rocky mountains here in Colorado and the original motor is still going strong. It does knock pretty bad due to neglect earlier in it's life but never ceases to run. The original tranny was just replaced at 207K. Definitely not easy miles and this truck has been used and abused. Because of it's reliability i just bought a 06 with 45K on it for myself. I'd say you made a great choice!

I'd have to agree with all of the above. The 6.0 is a good motor, hasn't done me wrong yet, although my '04 only has a wee 51K on it. Most of those miles are highway, towing a toyhauler. Fully loaded for a extra long weekend of camping, I'm sure I exceed manufacturer tow ratings. Pulls like a champ.

post-71029-1287029333_thumb.jpg

Here's a pic

IMG_3070.jpg

That must be a wierd sensation running those on the tracks & not having to steer. If the 6 L isn't big enough for you, try 1 of these:

Click

post-7901-1287029859_thumb.jpg

The 6.0 is nothing but a slightly larger displacement version of the 4.8/5.3. Same engine. The 4.8 and 5.3 are proven 300,000 mile engines. No reason on earth that the 6.0 wouldn't be the same.

These are great engines.

Here's a pic

IMG_3070.jpg

thats a badass rig. whats it like driving on the tracks?

dont you ever worry if your going around a blind turn and a freight train is screaming down the tracks straight at you?

When he's operating on the tracks, he is treated as a train & the dispatcher or rail traffic controller knows where he he is & when he can or can't occupy a block. He doesn't just get on the tracks & go for a drive.

Here's a pic

IMG_3070.jpg

thats a badass rig. whats it like driving on the tracks?

dont you ever worry if your going around a blind turn and a freight train is screaming down the tracks straight at you?

When he's operating on the tracks, he is treated as a train & the dispatcher or rail traffic controller knows where he he is & when he can or can't occupy a block. He doesn't just get on the tracks & go for a drive.

Thats correct i have to get the proper authority to operate on the rail. The weirdest sensation is really backing up at 30 miles an hour and also not steering. But it definitely is a fun truck to get to drive but yes revrnd i would prefer to drive a brandt truck those are amazing machines!

The 6.0 is a great engine and will last many miles. In stock form biggest complaints are poor mileage and poor low end power. This is primarily due to the 4L80E transmission having such a high gear. However, for $300 or so, you can get a custom tune to reallyl "wake" up the 6.0 and gain a little mileage in most cases. I did it to mine and it is the single best modification for the money you can do. I don't tow real often, but when I do it's heavy. I haul 9-10 cows around in a 24' aluminum stock trailer and gross weight is generally around 20-23,000. It takes time to get to speed, but once there I can hold 65 mph as long as I don't encounter any steep hills. I live in Kansas where it's flat so the 6.0 is fine for me. However if I towed regularly or lived near the mountains I would have the diesel.

Archived