How Many Qts Does Transmission Take?

I got the GMC 1500 Sierra Automatic 4.3, I need to know how many Quarts it takes, I came across some good automatic transmission fluid. The fluid level isn't on any sticker located on the vehicle, not even under the hood, I googled it, No Luck.

I'm Maintenancing the transmission fluid because the cluster gauge flashes the "Yellow" engine light in the upper left part (Yes this is the same messed up cluster gauge that has the Failed speedometer needle, Failed RPM Needle and the Gas gauge is next...). I think it's the check engine light, IDK really because the guy who sold me the vehicle didn't give me the book.

A buddy of mine said when I start the engine there is black smoke that comes out and he say's "Thats the indication of trannie maintenance, and you gotta do something about it."

You need to get your codes read from your vehicle to determine what your Check Engine Light is all about. Black smoke on startup isn't caused by a transmission needing a fluid change.

BTW, on a pan drop your trans will take about 4-5 qts. Full flush is about 12

You need to :D your friend in the back of the head!

What could possibly cause black smoke out the exhaust? Not the tranny. If you have a check engine light then it is most likely running rich and that is what the black smoke is. Read the codes, I bet you have a sensor that is out.

I got the GMC 1500 Sierra Automatic 4.3, I need to know how many Quarts it takes, I came across some good automatic transmission fluid. The fluid level isn't on any sticker located on the vehicle, not even under the hood, I googled it, No Luck.

I'm Maintenancing the transmission fluid because the cluster gauge flashes the "Yellow" engine light in the upper left part (Yes this is the same messed up cluster gauge that has the Failed speedometer needle, Failed RPM Needle and the Gas gauge is next...). I think it's the check engine light, IDK really because the guy who sold me the vehicle didn't give me the book.

A buddy of mine said when I start the engine there is black smoke that comes out and he say's "Thats the indication of trannie maintenance, and you gotta do something about it."

The transmission does not make the exhaust black. Your failed instrument cluster is probably due to the known issue with them, and some have recalls that may allow you to get it fixed for free. The "stacks" that were referred to before is a joke about adding diesel style exhaust pipes through the bed to show off the black transmission smoke.

Do you know how to check the fluid in the transmission when you refill it? It never surprises me that people have not clue how to check it properly. Engine running, cycle through ALL the gears, put in park and check with engine still running. Add until in the hashmarks and then recheck the same way once the engine is up to operating temp. Make sure that you are on level ground.

Archived