Power Steering Not Working

I have a 2003 Silverado Z-71 5.3L with 110,000 miles and the steering is very hard to turn at low speeds and almost imposible to turn when stopped. I replaced the Gearbox and it helped abit but not really. I then replaced the power steering pump and it did not help. There is a fluid cooler but it is not plugged up because I blew it out. I have read about a speed scensor called an EVO but as best I can tell my truck doies not have one. I did not have any electrical plug to hook up to the pump. There are no hoses going to the brake booster from the power steering system. The tires are 1 size larger than stock. I have a key lift to raise the front of the truck 2" or level. I put new shocks on a few months before it started this problem. Is there a better way to bleed air from the system then the tyrning the steering wheel back and forth? Is there a way to back flush my system in case I got something in it? I got the gearbox from discountsteering.com. Any help would be appreciated.

??

Document ID# 1653246

2002 GMC Yukon

Lack of Steering Assist or Shudder During Parking Lot Type Maneuvers - keywords bind booster brake hard hydraulic low no noise oil power slow speed steer trailer #PIT3386A - (Apr 28, 2005)

Lack of Steering Assist or Shudder During Parking Lot Type Maneuvers

2002-2005 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2002-2005 Chevrolet Avalanche

1999-2005 Express, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

1999-2005 GMC Sierra, Savana, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL

2003-2005 Hummer H2

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in the PI.

Condition/Concern:

Some customers may comment on a lack of steering assist or shudder during parking lot type maneuvers.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Please follow normal diagnostics in eSI for this condition. If the customer situation warrants a repair, replace the current pressure control valve with P/N 26095470, available from GMSPO. This valve will provide additional steering assist during parking lot type maneuvers. If this concern occurs when stopped or at very slow speeds with brakes applied, please reference PIT3310.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

I took my truck to a mechanic today to see if flushing the system would make it better. I am worried that I may have not flushed the system well enough before hooking everything back up. I am also worried I didn't get all the air out. After 1 hour of trying to figure it out he never got around to flushing the system but When he had it up in the air he showed me front to back slop in the pitman arm/Idler arm. He told me that I needed to replace those 2 part's and I should replace my tires and get an alignment. I do need both as I am getting very worn tread on the insides of the front tires. My Nephew is a working mechanic and he told me to make sure my belt tensioner is holding the belt tight enough. I will replace these parts soon.

Mike..........Thats the TSB for high steering effort posted above!

The EVO sensor is the culprit ! My 04 had this issue................

It applies to YOUR truck also!

MORE:

Check on a TSB for high steering effort.

This one is for 04-06 and possibly other years:

05-02-32-008B 07/18/2007 Steering - Lack of Assist at Low Speeds

Also:

TSB #070232001 -- REDUCED STEERING EFFORT (DIAGNOSE/REPLACE STEERING WHEEL POSITION SENSOR). *KB (NHTSA ID #10021450, MARCH 01 2007)

I looked for the EVO sensor and it is not where it should be as per pictures I have seen on this forum showing where it should be. There is also no electrical connector on my power steering pump. I bought this truck used and it had been wrecked so they may have removed the sensor then I don't know. Can tie rod ends also be an issue?

• 4 years later...

Thank God for this place.....My 03 Silverado is acting up. Power Steering Fluid level is fine, hard to turn and it's weak at low rpm/idle situations... but only when the steering was turned a bit. Seems to act up more when making a slow, low idle, left turn.

Steering Position Sensor aka EVO the culprit or should i look else where?

Archived