2008 Cruise Control Problems

For anyone looking to fix an intermittent Cruise control issue or possible brake light issue, this is more then likely the fix. Please note that most Chev Parts dealers will have this part number listed under the ACDelco Number D1586H but should be able to look it up under 15861245 as well approx. $15.00 to $30.00 depending on your dealers mark up. As per Leep6064 Comment below about removing the Clip make sure you look at his picture as without it I can guarantee you won't get it off in one piece. The only thing he left out is that first there will be a bolt that needs to be removed from the clip which also holds this clip in place as a fail safe. As these clips are firm and you are working in a confined space with not much room to pry I would recommend also picking up a new Clip / Retainer 11569844. This way if you bend it and destroy it to get it off then you can throw the new one back on. Approx. $5.00 Part. Diagram of where this switch is located at below link.

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_product=2794178&ukey_assembly=373130

A couple of comments on my experience with our 2007 Escalade ESV:

replaced switch on a road trip to Yosemite. Cruise control started working, and brake controller light went off (was staying on).

Struggled with clip for a while with my hands and a small screwdriver and a dim flashlight. Wish I had seen this post. I felt like I was going to damage the clip with the screwdriver, and since I was going to try to repair the switch since a replacement was not available for a day, I decided against prying, and was able to pinch both sides with my fingertips and slide it off. It hurt a bit, but wasn't too bad. It's worth a try. I was unable to repair the switch and replaced it the next day.

Lingering questions: I still have an issue with my not being able to switch gears in manual mode with the +/- pushbuttons on the steering column lever. Also, the seatbelt in the far rear seat tends to lock up. I am wondering if these are related to the stop light issue. I can't find any posts about these issues. I will disconnect the battery tonight to unprogram any controller logic confusion that may be causing this.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I normally don't join in forums, but this one was so helpful I had to say thanks to everyone. I had a difficult time removing the old switch so I ended up breaking it off. Made things much easier :) Installation was pretty easy. Thanks again to everyone for the helpful advice.

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to chime in here, this worked on my 2500 HD, same issue, tap the brake on the side and cruise would come on. The first switch I put in was bad, had to exchange for another.

I just bought the truck and it was like this, the transmission seemed to shift a little weird as well (felt like it was bogging or late on the shift sometimes), but I chalked it up to me not being used to it. However after swapping in this switch it seems normal. Maybe its just me, but I guess its possible the computer was using this signal for other things as well.

• 3 months later...

I ran across this thread trying to figure out why my cruise control was intermittent on my 2009 Suburban and then totally quit working. I replaced the switch yesterday and everything works great now, but I've noticed that the brakes lights stay on every once and a while after driving it. Is there an adjustment that can be made so that it doesn't stick on when the pedal is pressed or is it a problem with the new switch?

Hey there cmanley,

I'm sorry to hear that you have been experiencing difficulties with your Suburban. I cannot guarantee anything, but I will be glad to look further into this concern for you. Please feel free to send us a private message referencing your concern if we can be of any assistance. We look forward to hear from you.

Kristen A.

GM Customer Care

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the info. I have been without cruise control going on two yrs now and after reading these post I went to Advanced and purchased this switch for $17 and now have cruise control

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I think I'm having this problem on a '09 Sierra 1500 SLE and had a few questions on removal of the existing switch:

1) My existing brake light switch is covered in grease. I would assume a little lithium grease or silicone grease would help, but does it need to be covered? Will that hinder the operation of the switch?

2) The switch seems be at the junction point of the pedal and the push rod, is that a pin that goes through and connects them that I just need to tap out enough to get the switch off?

• Like 1

I just swapped out the brake switch and clip today.. worked perfectly! I recommend buying a new clip with the switch since it's easy to bend the existing clip when removing it, and it won't clip back if it's bent.

josh.roberts: mine had a very, very small amount of grease on the right side (the side touching the main brake pedal lever), but I didn't bother putting any on the new switch. Seems to work fine, but it wouldn't hurt to add some to your new switch. As for the pin, it doesn't move, so you can't tap it out. You have to remove the bolt, then the clip, then the switch.

Edited by timmerk

Finished this and does end up pretty easy. What wasn't apparent to me was the switch slides directly 'out' and the push rod for the brake may come with it as it slides off the pin (which is attached to the pedal, see link which is what mine looked like). Cruise control was still finicky for a day or two but is working fine now.

timmerk: I cleaned up a lot of the old white grease and just sprayed a little lithium grease around everything that connects to the pin. Thanks for the help.

http://www.justanswer.com/gmc/629jm-gmc-envoy-xl-brake-lights-themselves.html