Brakes On A '94 Suburban

jim brock

Question

I have had very soft, spongy brakes for years on my '94 suburban 2500 4x4. No amount of bleeding helps. The master cylinder does pump down a bit but the truck always stops great. I've been told I can bypass the massive abs manifold system and run lines directly from the master cylinder to the wheels. Has anyone done this? I plan to install a new master cylinder and try it. Your thoughts and advice are appreciated.

0 answers to this question

Try the new master cylinder first, but I ran into this very same problem some years ago when I worked for the dealership. The guy that the truck belonged to said that it had been that way since new pretty much. I wasn't satisfied, and I think that if you were ever in a panic stop that things might get a bit 'hairy'.

We left it the way it was and the guy was satisfied, but later on I remember reading somewhere that in order to test it, that you could bypass the ABS system like you mention and if it worked, you knew that was the problem.

GM 's technical assistance wouldn't say that you could leave the system bypassed, but I can't see why you couldn't...if it didn't work out, you could always hook it back up.

Travis

Thanks for the advice. I will proceed and report results.

Jim B.

as with any ABS system,if there is a fault in it the brakes resort back to base brakes,it will disable itself untill repaired.

if its disconnected electrically the system will be old fashion brakes.

try a new M/CYL as mentioned and go from there

I will. Thanks for the advice. I will report the results when done.

as with any ABS system,if there is a fault in it the brakes resort back to base brakes,it will disable itself untill repaired.

if its disconnected electrically the system will be old fashion brakes.

try a new M/CYL as mentioned and go from there

Try the new master cylinder first, but I ran into this very same problem some years ago when I worked for the dealership. The guy that the truck belonged to said that it had been that way since new pretty much. I wasn't satisfied, and I think that if you were ever in a panic stop that things might get a bit 'hairy'.

We left it the way it was and the guy was satisfied, but later on I remember reading somewhere that in order to test it, that you could bypass the ABS system like you mention and if it worked, you knew that was the problem.

GM 's technical assistance wouldn't say that you could leave the system bypassed, but I can't see why you couldn't...if it didn't work out, you could always hook it back up.

Travis

Archived