Question About 2010+ Radio Usb Function

Just wondering, if I put uncompressed .wav music files ripped from a CD on a USB drive will they play on the factory radio? Or do they have to be in mp3 format?

Good question. Why don't you try it and let us all know.

I have tried a few different file types (.wav not being one of them) and nothing besides MP3 have worked. I am 90% sure it has to be an MP3 file for it to play.

Usually if it's ripped from a CD, it's a .wav file I'm curious as well. My Sandisk MP3 player will playe both where as my Hip Street FM transmitter that read flash drives & SD cards, will only play mp3 files.

I'm also curious about playing the Sandisk thru the Aux port from the headphone jack or from the mini USB to USB (the way I connect it to my laptop). I wonder if it makes a difference. (no truck yet as well)

Hold on a sec, I'll decompress one of my mp3's and give it a go. I just use .mp3 format music since you can fit more music per unit storage, and you aren't going to be able to hear the difference between compressed / uncompressed digital audio on the stock stereo, as far as I'm concerned. Thanks for the study break idea!

I see, no big deal then. Another question, can you put the music files in named folders on the USB to sort by artist/genre etc? Or is it limited to dumping them all on the drive?

Usually if it's ripped from a CD, it's a .wav file I'm curious as well. My Sandisk MP3 player will play both where as my Hip Street FM transmitter that reads flash drives & SD cards, will only play mp3 files.

I'm also curious about playing the Sandisk thru the Aux port from the headphone jack or from the mini USB to USB (the way I connect it to my laptop). I wonder if it makes a difference? (no truck yet as well)

My bad, when you rip from a CD a .wma file, not a .wav file is created.

No playlist support (that I can figure out anyway), if you put a bunch of music in a folder (I made playlist folders) and put it on random so it doesn't jump to the next folder after the last song, it keeps playing the same ones in a loop. Say 15 songs or so in a loop. Not really random. Seems like the program is made so that when random is selected, it pick #3 song, #7 song #10 song #1 song #5 song etc etc and stores them into the radio memory and just keeps playing them in a loop. Kind of obnoxious not being able to have a playlist or make folders and set to random properly. Also, it has problems with some ID3 tags. Any music I buy from AmazonMp3 store, and buy any I mean EVERYTHING, gives ID3 tag error's. Works fine in my computer, phone, Ford SYNC vehicles etc.

The USB is nice, but I really wish they would have just added A2DP into the bluetooth instead.

• 3 months later...
No playlist support (that I can figure out anyway), if you put a bunch of music in a folder (I made playlist folders) and put it on random so it doesn't jump to the next folder after the last song, it keeps playing the same ones in a loop. Say 15 songs or so in a loop. Not really random. Seems like the program is made so that when random is selected, it pick #3 song, #7 song #10 song #1 song #5 song etc etc and stores them into the radio memory and just keeps playing them in a loop. Kind of obnoxious not being able to have a playlist or make folders and set to random properly. Also, it has problems with some ID3 tags. Any music I buy from AmazonMp3 store, and buy any I mean EVERYTHING, gives ID3 tag error's. Works fine in my computer, phone, Ford SYNC vehicles etc.

The USB is nice, but I really wish they would have just added A2DP into the bluetooth instead.

I am having issues with the MP3 and haven't found a TAG editor that works. As mentioned, I get a "ID3 TAG Error" and was wondering if anyone has found one that works. I wish GM would offer a firmware update to fix this issue. I never had a lick of trouble when playing MP3 from my Hyundai Sonata. I love my truck, but it is way too fussy about the TAG. As another mention, the files play fine on the computer and other devices.

Archived