'00 Z71 w/4.8L engine

A local dealer has an '00 Z71, regular cab/stepside, with the 4.8L engine. On the + side, it only has 8200 miles but the guy who owned it went overboard on the accessories which I would quickly remove.  

The reg cab/stepside is what I'm particularly interested in, but the only issue that I'm concerned with is the 4.8L engine.  What can y'all tell me about it?  

Right now I have a 4.3L in my '99 ZR2 with some bolt-on mods and I'm wondering if I should hold out for this same style truck with a bigger V8.  Any opinions?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum!!!  :nono:

For everyday driving the 4.8L will give you alot more power than you're used to, and decent gas milage too!!!

For heavy towing/hauling the 5.3L would be a better choice.  But since the truck is a reg cab stepside, I have a feeling it will mostly be just a driver.

Just make sure it doesn't have the 3.42 gears in the rearend.  I would want the 3.73's for sure.  Good luck!!!

(It's a shame you can't find a leftover '02 in that configuration...  They are practically giving them away right now)

Welcome aboard!

4.8 testimonial:  I have one in my 2001 GMC SLE Ext cab 2WD.  I am VERY pleased with it. I get great mileage (over 20 on the hwy if I drive it 65-70 mph).   Around town I get between 17-19 depending....  I tow a 6000 lb boat back & forth to the harbor (coupla miles) no sweat.  Same for my Ford tractor which is around 8000 lbs....Tow it @ twice a year for 25 miles or so.

The 4.8 has plenty of power & acceleration to suit me, I don't drive like grandpaw either.

If I were younger and getting a 4WD...I'd look for a bigger motor just because that's the way I am.  I dunno how much power you lose with 4WD either but I suspect that the 4.8 will do ya just fine unless you wanna race it.

If you would have bought a 4WD with a 305 in it...then you will be very suprised at the power because the 4.8 runs circles around my old beater with a 305.

If the price is right....Buy it I say!

I've got an '02 reg. cab stepside with the 4.8 and, overall, I'm very pleased. I haven't towed anything very heavy yet but I have no doubts about being able to do it. I also get decent gas mileage. It's very capable and seems to be reliable.

If it doesn't have enough power for you, you can always slap on a supercharger or do a heads/cam package.

I went from an '01 ZR2 Blazer to my current '02 Silverado 4x4 reg cab fleetside 4.8! It has way more power than that 4.3 pullin 31's!!!! The A/C on the 4.3 would steal a lot of power, but not with the 4.8! Gas mileage is alot better too, I went from the 14-15mpg range in the ZR2 to the 17-19 range in the 4.8! I have done some moderate towing with my 4.8L (3000lbs) and its no problem at all compared to the ZR2, the tow haul mode helps out alot too, whereas the Blazer didnt have it! IMO the ZR2 needed a V8, I have drove regular s10s with the 4.3 and they feel nice, but once you get 31's and some other weight, the power drops! Just my .02!

Just make sure it doesn't have the 3.42 gears in the rearend.  I would want the 3.73's for sure.  Good luck!!!

Thanks again for the info...much appreciated!

I have the assembly sheet for the truck but I'm not sure what the RPO codes are for the available rear gears. I went to my local dealer and asked the parts guy to check it and he said it has 4.10?!?  Can that be right?  Does anyone know the RPO codes for the gear size?

GT4 3.73:1 Rear Axle Ratio

GT5 4.10:1 Rear Axle Ratio

Check your glovebox.  Itll be listed in there also

Also for your reference on this page look ove to your left under Features.  There is an RPO section.  Lists them all  :cheers:

Sounds like you're doing exactly what I did, went to my Chevy/GMC dealer and found an '00 GMC regular cab stepside with the 4.8L and about 8k miles on it, picked it up in a heartbeat and I love it. The 4.8 has pretty good power, I was impressed with it - more than I expected really. I would say go for it, you'll be happy with it!  :cheers:

My truck has a 4.8 and it is a good motor. I wish I had the 4.10 but I bought it off the dealers lot so I will have to settle for the the 3.73. I noticed some power loss when I added 285 BFGs but I have since got that power back and more with the addition of a K&N FIPK and a Gibson cat back exhaust. I can now run with any truck with a bigger motor. My new boat will be delivered next spring and the dry weight is 3550 lbs. I do not forsee any towing problems.

Archived