Snow Plow Prep Package

12027pc

I'm very close to buying a 2003 GMC 2500HD SLTcrew w/8.1 and 4.10s and I'd like to order it with the Snow Plow Prep Package.  The GM code description for the package lists a "42mm access hole w/grommet in front of dash panel; mounting location for snow plow controls."  Is this 42mm access hole just a hole in the dash, or is it a hole in the firewall behind the dash panel?  I can't find any pictures that show the snow plow prep package.  The dealerships here in CA. don't have any knowledge about it either.

I may never get a chance to use a plow with the truck, but I may end up in snow country some day and I don't want to be sorry that I didn't order it.

I'm usually a lurker, but this forum has such a good knowledge base I decided to become a member.

Thanks in advance.

:nono:

120......Welcome to GMT !.....The hole is in the

firewall under /near the master cylinder.  There is a

plug in it. Plow prep. also gets ya wires in the

ceiling for aux. lights with seperate switch,

also a pos. terminal power block under the hood,

power steering cooler, aux. trans cooler and a

few other goodies too !...geo

Unless GM changed things for 03', you can't get a plow prep on any crew cab.  Only 2500HD reg cab and ext. cab short box and 3500 reg cab.  These are the only 2500HD and 3500 trucks you can order it on.  All the other trucks are heavier and would overload the front axle's gvwr.  This doesn't neccesarily mean you can't put a plow on a crew cab but GM doesn't allow it from the factory.  I know and see quit a few crew cabs running around with plows and its no big deal.  For more info on plowing check out this forum web page:

www.plowsite.com

Have a question.  Looked at a 2500HD ext cab 4wd yesterday.  It listed the snow plow prep pkg on the sticker.  However when looking at the front i didnt see anything.  I was just wondering is there any hardware installed on the front (i know the plow is separate but isnt the stuff that the plow hooks up to installed?)

This truck was sweet.  $35K.  It had every option i would get (nothing more nothing less).  Just wish i had about 10 grand in the bank and it would make the decision easier  ???

Ryan, usually the mounting hardware and such comes from the aftermarket supplier at least around here.  The factory package is printed on the sticker obviously and is mostly the electrical or suspension components as 1 would figure.  The dealers here have a second smaller window sticker with the plow price usually handwritten on it...that would include the mounting frame from my understanding...Had a regular 2500 when I was first kicking around the idea of a new truck after starting my job with the dept.  Wish I could have 1, but I wouldn't have been able to swing the plow price with the options I got on my z71...the plow truck was also white.  Wouldn't be able to fit the truck w/plow in the garage, or even the plow off it...Guess that makes that decision for me for now.

GUYS....Was eyeballing the new 03s Chev.

and GMC.  Plow prep now includes 145 amp

alternator instead of the 130 amp. Also

includes increased torsion bar rates along

with aux. wiring in roof w/ seperate switch,

ps and trans. cooler, hole in firewall and pre

wiring on the head and parking lights and I

know I am forgetting a couple other things.

BTW: Plow prep is only aval. on 1/2 ton reg

cabs, 2500 & 3500s except crews and I think

diesels too.  Gm is picky about warranty work

or plow related breakage (trans, engine, etc)

if NOT equipped with plow prep pkg......geo

Archived