Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KMT15

Automatic Headlights

I have a 99 Silverado and I hate the automatic headlights, It does hace a dome override button but the dealer said it doesnt work for the lights.  On my 01 Tahoe if I press it like 4 times they shut off.  How can I get rid of the automatic headlight feature on my silverado?  I know if I press the E-brake a little they go off but then I have the red light flashing "brake".  any other way?

-KMT15

KMT...You could do the R&D headlight controller or

go to www.lightsout.org

Free advise there to turn off the auto ons and DRLs.

I used it to switch the wires on my 01 headlight

switch to turn em' off....Fast & easy no cutting !

Check out mountianeer toms web site for pics and

info.  Its in his profile....geo

Have you tried swapping switches to see if the 01 fits?  Then you could use the dome override method.   Although, I like the R&D headlight controller looks.  I wonder which method is cheaper.

JUst my two cents, but I really like the auto lights, I have not needed to touch the switch other than to test it when I bought the truck.

I do, and the headlights go out, but the E-Brake light comes on and a buzzer randomyl goes off every 5-10 sec.  how do I disconnect this?

-KMT15

I'll try to explain this as clear as possible, but if you have any questions feel free to mail me.

Basically you will need a pair of wire cutters and a 1.5K ohm 1/2 watt resistor that you can get at Radio Shack.  Electrical tape and possibly some wire nuts will work to wire in the resistor.  You can solder the wires if you wish.

You may want to remove the neg. battery cable to assure you don't do any unwanted damage to the electrical system.  This is not necessary, but a good precaution to take.

First locate the Body Control Module (BCM) which is under the dash, below the steering column.  Laying on the floor, this should be visible without removing any dash panels.  You should find a purple connector (C3).  Unplug it.

Located the white and gray wires (A4 and A6).  I don't remember if white is A4 and gray is A6 or vice versa.  It doesn't matter anyway.

Clip these two wires that are coming off this plug (C3).  Leave a few inches to work with.  Tape up or place wire nuts over the other end of these wires that go up under the dash(they go to the light sensor).  You have now removed the light sensor from the electrical system and is now just a dash orniment.

Connect the gray wire from the plug (C3) to one end of the resistor and the white wire to the other end.  Make sure you tape up all wires to prevent a short.  You should now have a gray wire coming from C3, going to one lead of the resistor and the white wire from C3 to the other resistor lead.  Plug in C3 to the BCM and replace the neg. battery cable if you removed it.  Start the truck and make sure the lights are off.  Throw a dark towel or something over the light sensor on the dash and verify the lights stay off.  Try your light switch that has probably never been used and that's it!

Shouldn't take very long after you find the wires which are right in front of you.  Much easier and quicker than dismantling the entire dash to get to the light sensor!  On my '99 I pulled the radio and reached my hand up to the sensor.  Very tight fit.  On my '02, I found a brace behind the radio which prevented me from getting to the sensor.  That's when I found this simpler procedure and did it in minutes.

Any questions, give me a shout.

Just bought a 2000  Z-71-------HATE the auto headlights.   Does your modification work on the 2000 also???? ???

it should work for all of the 99-02 trucks and maybe even the 2003's.

I for one love the auto headlights.  Now that I've had them on my truck and now on my Grand Prix I don't think I could go back to actually having to turn them on.

But, then again I'm just lazy.

Yeah, I love my auto headlights! :thumb:   I had them on my Camaro and got spoiled.

There are times though that I would like to sit/drive without any lights on and would like to be able to disable the DRL's and auto-on lights.

I am leaning toward the R&D headlight controller because of the quality I have seen in their other products/instructions.

Got a question, probaly a stupid one but what happens to the DRL's do they still work. The answer is probaly yes but I just wanted to know for sure. Thanks

I like the auto headlights, but they should have put a disable setting, like the '03 models for those who don't want to use them, or just disable when you need to.  Afterall, they're not required by law (in the US), so why not a disable?

The DRLs don't bother me either, and I'll get ambers for them when I burn one out!  :cheers:

Just snip the wire connecting the light sensor to the BCM.  That oughtta do it.

Better yet, instead of snipping it, use a tiny jeweler's screwdriver and release the latch that holds the terminal in the connector housing.  Then just tape it up.  If you ever sell the truck, you'll then be able to snap it back into the connector housing.

The wire is a white one going to pin A6 on connector C3 of the BCM.  BCM is located under the steering column.

the dealer told me that if i cut the sensor wire it would do the opposite and leave them on all the time.

-KMT15

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.