Security Flashing Light?

Quick question--

I live in an apartment complex. At night, I've noticed that most all of the other newer cars/trucks have some kind of blinking "security" light (usually red) on the dash or instrument panel. The ones that indicate the flashing lights/honking horn alarm system is active, in an effort to ward off would-be thieves. Security is a concern here--with the economy so bad, not a night goes by that some vandalism/theft doesn't happen.

But I don't see any such indicator on my '09 Silverado. It does have a factory alarm that flashes the lights and honks the horn if you open the door(s) without first unlocking it with the remote fob.

Do these things have a flashing security indicator light? If so, where is it (mine must be burned out?). If not, what the h-e-double hockey sticks was the General thinking? My old 96 Impala SS didn't even have a factory alarm, but it had a red light 'protecting the factory radio(?!)', which was worth all of about $40.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

:( haha i hear ya Bret. I have thought about that same thing. But if you look at the instrument cluster right when you hit the lock button you will see a lock light go off but only once or twice. i dont understand either. :lol:

My truck had the dealer installed security system along with the factory security system.

It is the one the dealers have on the vehicles in the lot to keep them safe.

What happens is if someone breaks a window or whatever, the alarm is activated.

It has a plug with a chip under the dash just to the right of the parking brake and it is a green flashing light. I think this option was around $600.00 extra.

I had to register the security system with a company, but I don't know which one right off hand.

I figured, I don't want this thing stolen or even messed with so I paid the extra to keep it or the dealer would have deactivated it at the time of purchase.

the security lock light will flash for a few moments after you set the alarm/lock the doors with the fob..

once it is active (about 30 seconds after you lock the doors) the light turns off..

this has been the norm on GM's for about 12 years..

my 2000 Silverado Z71 did this

my 2002 Impala SS did this

my 2003 Caddy Deville does this

my 2010 Avalanche does this

while most car and/or alarm manufacturers keep a blinking light on the dash (my Chrysler 300 had a Red in the cluster and our Camry Hybrid has a red LED on the top of the dash) GM opted to not have an active light..

My theory on it is this, when a car thief sees an alarm light they know what they have to do to circumvent the alarm, in most cases for the factory stuff it's a matter of popping the hood and cutting the horn connections...

the GM way, there is no active notice there is an alarm, but the alarm is active.. I suspect the thinking is that it will scare the potential thief away when they actually set it off not thinking there was one..

but bottom line is this, the alarm is there to alert you, no one else will pay attention to it, and if a thief wants the vehicle or what is in it bad enough he will get it, regardless of how expensive or elaborate your alarm/GPS tracking system is.

this is why we have insurance.. I personally have never found any value in aftermarket alarm systems, all my vehicles have/use the factory system and it does the job it needs too.. All my vehicles have Lojack, but I've never found a need to use it, but for $250 it provides a small piece of mind to me..

how about: "Every newer vehicle has a factory "content theft alarm" therefore it's not necessary?"

I really don't see why you would need it. Any thief that knows anything will already be familiar with a GM truck and it's factory standard security features.

how about: "Every newer vehicle has a factory "content theft alarm" therefore it's not necessary?"

I really don't see why you would need it. Any thief that knows anything will already be familiar with a GM truck and it's factory standard security features.

Let me correct you NickV...... Any GOOD thief will know it :(:lol:

With my Viper 5301 remote start, the reciever/antenna has a built in blue led that is very bright and flashes while the doors are locked, and it quite bright. I don't have an alarm, just remote start, but I think it's a pretty good deterent.

or it could be a big flashing blue light that says "come mess with me"

Put the OnStar stickers on your front windows and windshield. Probably better than a blinking light anyway. As much advertisement as Onstar does, most people know Onstar can locate a vehicle, turn it off, lock the theif in, call the police etc.

Much better than a blinking light. Also, as an added bonus, the onstar number is also in view if you have the onstar account active and need to call them :lol:

Put the OnStar stickers on your front windows and windshield. Probably better than a blinking light anyway. As much advertisement as Onstar does, most people know Onstar can locate a vehicle, turn it off, lock the theif in, call the police etc.

Much better than a blinking light. Also, as an added bonus, the onstar number is also in view if you have the onstar account active and need to call them :lol:

meh, most thieves know how to defeat the OnStar system today.. doesn't take much..

like I said, bottom line:

if they want it, they will take it, regardless of what fancy security system you have.

Archived