2009 Sierra Sle Rough Idle

I have an 09 Sierra Sle Ex Cab with 27000km on it. The only modification I've done is installing a GMPP CAI. Since winter is coming on, I notice the truck is having a rough idle in park. The engine will dip as low as 500RPM from the normal 750RPM and I can noticbly see my headlights dim if they're turned on. No stalling though. In gear, it has a rough idle when stopped, but when I'm giving it gas, everything works just fine.

My voltometer reads in the middle, but my oil pressure fluctuates with the engine as the idle slows/speeds up.

I checked the CAI for any leaks and didin't find any, and I filled up the truck today as the gas was low and about 4 weeks old. I also added gas line antifreeze/fuel system cleaner to see if that helps. Should I wait a few days and see if it fixes itself, or should I schedule an appointment at the deals ASAP?

clean the throttle body

sounds like its all carboned-up right now

Can I just use a can of spray to clean it, or should I take it off and clean it completely?

leave the actual throttle body on the intake manifiold

remove/set aside air intake

clean the tb as best as possible, including cleaning the tb bore and butterfly

if truck still acts up AFTER tb cleaning, bring it in for warranty work

I would remove that cold air intake and return the truck to stock configuration. If the problem does not disappear, take it in for warranty work. I seriously doubt you have much carbon buildup anywhere with so few kms on the truck.

One other thing I should note. I live in a community with no road access and the only way of bringing vehicles in/out is by trian. When I do drive my truck around, it rarely goes over 40km/h. I only drive highway speeds for one week in October, December and March and for July/August. The rest of the time its all dirt roads and slow going, which may help build up the carbon quicker?

Archived