Axle Swap

My brother in law wants to swap out his 2004 2500HD axle with 4.10's for my 2008 2500HD axle with 3.73's. Can it be done or were there major differences with the years? I know I'll have to swap out the gears in my front axle, but that won't be an issue. THanks for any help.

I was once told " Anything can be fixed with massive doses of new shit." lol I think this rule applies for for parts swaps too. LOL what size rear ends to both trucks have? 10.5? 11.5? I would think they would interchange, but can't say for sure.

new_truck_side.jpg

new_truck_side.jpg

new_truck_side.jpg

new_truck_side.jpg

My brother in law wants to swap out his 2004 2500HD axle with 4.10's for my 2008 2500HD axle with 3.73's. Can it be done or were there major differences with the years? I know I'll have to swap out the gears in my front axle, but that won't be an issue. THanks for any help.

He wants your 3:73's and you want his 4:10's?

Are you thinking of swapping gear sets or the complete axles assy's?

First off you're dealing w/ 2 different chassis (His is a GMT800 & yours is a GMT900) so there may be differences in shock & spring mounts. Also the 6 L & Dmax equipped trucks used different sized axles.

Like Shatterz said, just buy the gear sets & get them installed.

I'm going to measure out and see if there is any difference in the mounting locations. They are both 6.0's. As for just buying new gears, I'll gladly accept donations :rollin:. He wants the 3.7.'s for the little better mileage on the highway, I don't drive mine except to tow, so it may work out better.

The fuel mileage difference will be minimal at best. Quite a few differences between the two axles are possible depending on vehicle build. Research carefully. Other than that, spring perches should be in the same spots and

the trucks used the same propshafts so all should be good there.

IIRC, his has the same weight rating as mine, 9200lbs, so in that case, as long as everything matches up, we should be good to go. It will help when he comes up and we can put the trucks side by side.

You will also need to tune the PCM in each truck for the new gear size, if you want the speedo to be corrrect.

Archived