2009 Sierra 1500 Block Heater Cord Location?

I've looked every year several postings seem to say the block heater cord should be located. No such luck! Mind you, all of the other postings I saw, were not for a 2009 Sierra. Not sure of the 6.0L engine I have makes a difference or not?

I've gone one winter without using it. Probably shouldn't go another!

I've looked every year several postings seem to say the block heater cord should be located. No such luck! Mind you, all of the other postings I saw, were not for a 2009 Sierra. Not sure of the 6.0L engine I have makes a difference or not?

I've gone one winter without using it. Probably shouldn't go another!

I think that the actual heater is supposed to be in the rear of the engine on the drivers side. I have the 6.0 too and I was told by my dealer that I had a block heater when I purchased the truck, then one -20 morning I went out to plug it in, looked for freakin ever in the ass cold and couldn't find it. I called the dealer told them I didn't have one. They told me I did and that I should bring it in and they would find it for me. Brought it in.......'whoops are mistake' asked them to put one in for me, they said sure for $250! I told them to....well you can imagine

sorry about the rant, i'm just a bit upset. Picked one up..havn't put it in yet, but i'm like 99% sure that is where it goes.

OH so just because you were told you have one doesn't necessarily mean that you actually do. They told me that if a truck comes with a factory remote start then it won't have a block heater.

good luck

They told me that if a truck comes with a factory remote start then it won't have a block heater.

Not true,Just because the truck has remote start doesn't mean it won't have a block heater.

Look for RPO code "K05",Thats the code for the block heater.

The block heater cord/plug should be located on the drivers side frame rail,you may have to drop the plastic engine shield to see it,or access it.

I have the 2008 with a 6.0 and the block heater cord is suppost to near the power steering pump on the frame rail behind the driver side front wheel. Just remember that it can be farther back on the rail, near the rear of the engine. It should be easy to find, as the plug cover is suppost to be orange.

They told me that if a truck comes with a factory remote start then it won't have a block heater.

Not true,Just because the truck has remote start doesn't mean it won't have a block heater.

Look for RPO code "K05",Thats the code for the block heater.

The block heater cord/plug should be located on the drivers side frame rail,you may have to drop the plastic engine shield to see it,or access it.

My bad, that is just what i was told. They probably just told me that to get me off their back. Hey not to Jack the thread, but I know you have mentioned in other posts about having some experience installing a heater. Any advice for putting one in on the Vmax? I have one i just need to get it in.

It shouldn't be hard at all,although I've never installed one in a 6-liter,you'll need a 17mm hex socket and 24mm deep well socket.

On the 4.8/5.3's they go toward the rear,so you need to lower the front prop shaft for some clearance,on the 6.0's they go toward the front so that may not be necessary,You'll want to remove the plastic engine shield for sure to gain access.

Also be prepared for coolant to run out when you remove the factory brass coolant freeze plug,and use distilled water when refilling with a 50/50 mix of Dex-Cool.

would it be in the same location on a 06 with a 5.3? according to the vin decoding i did my truck is supposed to have one. rather than searching in the dark and getting mad after hitting my head on something ill just ask, for all i know its located somewhere else

Yep I'd check the build sheet, or look for the RPO code as stated before, being from calgary a block heater would be a good idea or you could just leave it running!

EDIT:

I didn't think they sold them without block heaters over there!

I didn't think they sold them without block heaters over there!

It was standard on my '04 K2500HD, but an option on my '11 K2500HD. Both had the VYU plow prep package & 6 L.

It shouldn't be hard at all,although I've never installed one in a 6-liter,you'll need a 17mm hex socket and 24mm deep well socket.

On the 4.8/5.3's they go toward the rear,so you need to lower the front prop shaft for some clearance,on the 6.0's they go toward the front so that may not be necessary,You'll want to remove the plastic engine shield for sure to gain access.

Also be prepared for coolant to run out when you remove the factory brass coolant freeze plug,and use distilled water when refilling with a 50/50 mix of Dex-Cool.

Thanks!

Archived